Tires for original M416 wheels?

Quarter-ton trailer series, Wanted, USED PARTS FOR SALE NO EBAY or COMMERCIAL SALES., and Knowledge Base
Calaski8123
G-Private First Class
G-Private First Class

Tires for original M416 wheels?

Post by Calaski8123 » Fri Jun 03, 2022 7:56 pm

So I'm trying to decide what tires to buy for my M416 trailer project.

I have decided to stay with the original wheels. They were in good condition and I had them powder coated. I measured the wheel and it's 16 inches x 5.5 inches wide.

The closest tire size is 215/85/R16. This size will fit a rim that's 5.5 inches wide. (How are people running 235/85/16 tires on these rims? Those tires need a rim at least 6.5 inches wide)

Anyway, I went to the tire shop and the guy is trying to steer me away from passenger, AT and LT tires. He says I need a trailer tire like the Hercules H901 on a trailer because it needs the tough sidewall. He says the vehicle tires will not wear well and will become a problem. I asked about off road and he said the trailer tires are 14ply, very tough and very heavy and will do well off road. Is this true or will they bounce all over?

Not much selection for trailer tires in that size. I also don't like the look of any very plain.

Then I read that an E rated LT tire is 10 ply and will perform well on the trailer and also have some ability to air down a little.

Then I read other guys go for the 8 ply regular LT or AT tires for airing down. But are the ok for pulling a trailer? How are they on the highway?

So what is the truth?

215/85/16 seems a good size with different options. The LT tire with E rating seems a good middle compromise between the extra ply toughness and ability to off road.

What are people running?
How are they off road?
On highway?
Towing a load on/off road?
How do they wear and handle?

Sorry but there's so many conflicting posts and info out there.

I'm considering these (LT, E rated):
Cooper Discoverer AT3
Kuhmo Road Venture AT51
Hankook Dynapro AT2 RF11
Arturo Trail Blade AT

I need some help from people who are actually using these tires? I'm building a camping trailer and plan to do some moderate off roading (East Coast).

Jim

W. Winget
LTC, U.S. Army
LTC, U.S. Army

Re: Tires for original M416 wheels?

Post by W. Winget » Sat Jun 04, 2022 6:56 pm

Why not NDCC's like it came with? 7:00 x 16 Military tread.
The Army wouldn't have used them if they weren't reliable enough for off/on road.
I've towed a fully loaded 416 from Va to Ca at 70mph with original mil tires and never had an issue on or off road.
Why reinvent the wheel?
V/R W Winget
Looking for 1918 Standard B 'Liberty' truck parts

Calaski8123
G-Private First Class
G-Private First Class

Post by Calaski8123 » Sat Jun 04, 2022 7:51 pm

I'm a little leery about the old bias ply. I'd like to use the radials on highway. I also can't plug repair a tubes bias ply and I saw a post on this forum of a NDCC that shredded it's tread.

I considered them and looked into them but only see a couple specially companies make the tire.

parker007
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by parker007 » Sat Jun 04, 2022 11:14 pm

i run 215s on my 14k car trailer, they are way overkill for a small trailer. supper heavy sidewall. and shake if not loaded, but they are cheap when compared to most tires. don't fall for the trailer tire scam. unless they are specialty many ply they just cheap tires that not need to rated for passenger car.

Rus Curtis
G-Second Lieutenant
G-Second Lieutenant

Post by Rus Curtis » Sun Jun 05, 2022 10:22 am

Looking at TM-9-2330, for the M416, it states 16 x 4.5 for original wheels. Are you measuring the wheel on the INSIDE bead contacts? Measuring across the outer lip will give you an incorrect width.

This TM gives original ply (6) and tire pressure for highway and offroad. I absolutely do not agree with salesman that you should install 14 ply. I don't know his motives but I question whether he fully understands your application. The load index for the only H-901 with 14 ply tire I could find is rated for over 3,000lbs! Are you loading your trailer (rated at 500lbs - cross country) to exceed 3,000lbs? Wear on a tire is mostly controlled by pressure and load.

Any tubeless can be run with a tube (radial tube). Patching a leak would be different. I do know that plugging can be problematic near (or on) the sidewall. Patching a tube can be done and still complete the trip - but not as easy as plugging. I learned from a fellow jeeper that these light trailers will run just fine on a flat tire - if not loaded (he had 2 flats and the trailer wasn't heavy - said there was no issue with tracking or temp). Do you have a dedicated spare for the trailer?

I personally matched my trailer tires with my jeep so the spare would work for either (6 ply). Tread, to me, isn't that big a factor as the trailer should just follow where you go - more critical for the tow vehicle. I think that a narrow tire would be better - not just for wheel fitment but also tub clearance as well.
Rus Curtis
'54 CJ-3B
T3-C

Return to “Trailers 1/4 ton”