Can't find new galvanized bolts and hardware

Quarter-ton trailer series, Wanted, USED PARTS FOR SALE NO EBAY or COMMERCIAL SALES., and Knowledge Base
Calaski8123
G-Private First Class
G-Private First Class

Can't find new galvanized bolts and hardware

Post by Calaski8123 » Fri Mar 11, 2022 10:32 am

I'm rebuilding an M416 that's in good shape but a lot of the bolts are pretty shot. I figured it would be easier to just replace them with some new galvanized hardware. I went to several hardware stores including big box stores and I have been unable to find any 3/8 galvanized bolts that are 1 or 1.25 inches long.

I see longer bolts over three or four inches and I see carriage bolts but I cannot find the shorter galvanized bolts anywhere. I never thought these would be a hard to find item.

A couple places suggested stainless steel however they are not as strong and I'd rather not spend $2 or $3 per bolt.

Does anyone have an idea where I can buy these bolts? Am I wrong to be thinking galvanized would be the best option? I'm not new to restorations, I've restored several old Mustangs, however this is my first trailer.

rjbeamer
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Re: Can't find new galvanized bolts and hardware

Post by rjbeamer » Fri Mar 11, 2022 11:07 am

Look at Mc Master Carr.

https://www.mcmaster.com/bolts/low-stre ... ad-screws/

Most galvanized bolts and nuts are low grade fasteners. My guess is what you really need is Zink plated or Cadmium plated bolts. They are fairly good at corrosion resistance and are what is common at most hardware stores. I m assuming that they will be painted with O.D so most any plated hardware should work fine.

Roger

Rustman
G-Lieutenant Colonel
G-Lieutenant Colonel

Re: Can't find new galvanized bolts and hardware

Post by Rustman » Fri Mar 11, 2022 1:30 pm

I'll second that you probably just need zinc plated which is the defacto finish on most hardware. Hot dipped galvanized with the grey color is typically only used in boat trailers, outdoor wood structures and chain link fencing.

I'll also second McMaster Carr, along with Fastenal.

Matt
1970 Kaiser Jeep DJ-5A Left Hand Drive
1945 Corps of Engineers Welder & Trailer
1943 G518 "Ben Hur" Trailer Steel Body
194* G518 "Ben Hur" Trailer Composite Body
http://g518parts.com/

Return to “Trailers 1/4 ton”