M1101 style bows and cover for M416

Quarter-ton trailer series, Wanted, USED PARTS FOR SALE NO EBAY or COMMERCIAL SALES., and Knowledge Base
zoro
G-First Sergeant
G-First Sergeant
M1101 style bows and cover for M416

Post by zoro » Sun Mar 14, 2021 7:32 pm

Had the M416 out in the snow over the weekend bringing the snowblower to the in-laws. Saw a guy go by with an M1101 and it got me thinking, has anyone made a set of bows and a cover for their M416 that’s the same style as the M1101? Would be nice to keep large and bulky stuff out of the weather when I gotta move it.

Thanks!

Hypnogator
G-Staff Sergeant
G-Staff Sergeant
Re: M1101 style bows and cover for M416

Post by Hypnogator » Wed Jun 09, 2021 8:49 am

I have a set of bows from an old M35 that I used to make a tarp covering for a car-hauler trailer that I've been thinking about using to make a rounded cover for my M416. I would buy three 1x4s, as green as I could get them, rip them to 1x3 (fits the metal bow holders IIRC), and mount the bow holders about a foot above the top of the bed. Then I would measure the length required and bend the correct lengths of 1x3 in the appropriate arc after having soaked them in water for a couple of weeks. When dry, should fit perfectly above each of the four tie-downs on the trailer bed, then put on an 8x10' canvas tarp. If I want to get fancy, may hinge the uprights on one side, fasten the ones on the other side together, so I can unlash one side of the top and swing it up and over, giving me access to the whole interior.

Will post some pictures when I actually get my lazy butt around to doing something about it. Planning to do it for use on a trip across the Devil's Highway between Ajo and Yuma late this fall or early winter. 8)
I'm afraid I've reached that stage in life where I prefer a pedantic evening at home to a bracing exchange of gunfire in the dark.

bugcape
G-Master Sergeant
G-Master Sergeant

Post by bugcape » Fri Jul 09, 2021 6:52 am

I've done it. Mounted the bow brackets from a M101 trailer onto my M416. Had a friend at a local mill works make
the correct size wooden bows. He chose ash for strength and durability. The wood is straight and the metal corners
are curved, so it's really easy to fit together. I had used a Hummer bed cover for a while until that gave out. Now I
just have a recycled piece of rubberized canvas from a mechanic's tent. Can't drive around with this set up, obviously,
but I dream of a day when I can get a custom top to fit properly and take it on the road. Otherwise, it really does look
pretty cool. I'm working on customizing a cot or maybe a stretcher to fit inside the trailer bed. They all seem to be just
a little too long. Idea being to drape mosquito netting over the bows and then another piece of canvas over that to
create a tent for overnight events.
I'm a noob, so I don't know how to post pictures here. I'd be happy to show what it looks like.
Da Gas Man

zoro
G-First Sergeant
G-First Sergeant

Post by zoro » Sun Aug 08, 2021 7:50 pm

bugcape wrote:
Fri Jul 09, 2021 6:52 am
I've done it. Mounted the bow brackets from a M101 trailer onto my M416. Had a friend at a local mill works make
the correct size wooden bows. He chose ash for strength and durability. The wood is straight and the metal corners
are curved, so it's really easy to fit together. I had used a Hummer bed cover for a while until that gave out. Now I
just have a recycled piece of rubberized canvas from a mechanic's tent. Can't drive around with this set up, obviously,
but I dream of a day when I can get a custom top to fit properly and take it on the road. Otherwise, it really does look
pretty cool. I'm working on customizing a cot or maybe a stretcher to fit inside the trailer bed. They all seem to be just
a little too long. Idea being to drape mosquito netting over the bows and then another piece of canvas over that to
create a tent for overnight events.
I'm a noob, so I don't know how to post pictures here. I'd be happy to show what it looks like.
Sounds like a cool setup! I camp in mine and just throw a twin air mattress in there. Fits like a glove

bugcape
G-Master Sergeant
G-Master Sergeant

Post by bugcape » Mon Aug 09, 2021 1:31 pm

I'll have to try that out. I was considering getting a memory foam mattress and fitting that in there.
But an air mattress is obviously much better idea for portability. My buddy suggested a 10X10 easy up
over the whole thing as a rain fly. I thought that was a good idea too. Thanks for the tip.
Da Gas Man

muttguru
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by muttguru » Tue Aug 10, 2021 2:40 am

bugcape wrote:
Fri Jul 09, 2021 6:52 am
Bugcape.....

if you send a couple of pictures to me, address below, I'll post them here for you.

Ken

muttguru@aol.com
Contact address - muttguru@aol.com
Always wanted - Details and pictures of M416 Trailer data plates & M151 data plates & body-tags for my research. Thanks!

bugcape
G-Master Sergeant
G-Master Sergeant

Post by bugcape » Tue Aug 10, 2021 7:35 am

Thanks for the offer Ken. But I have cracked the photo code. It's not as bad as I thought. Senior moment.
Here's my MUTT with the M416. It looks like an ad for Speedway. :)

Da Gas Man

Steve Webb
G-General
G-General

Post by Steve Webb » Tue Aug 10, 2021 10:57 am

Here is my set up with my civvy. Air mattress and a 10 x 10 canopy for fresh air sleeping. On page 2

viewtopic.php?f=141&t=320891&start=15
Stand for the Flag, Kneel for the Cross Psalm 55; 9-11

muttguru
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by muttguru » Tue Aug 10, 2021 12:08 pm

Steve and bugcape.... some great ideas there between the two of you.

That air mattress looks real cumfy.....do you need to have the tailgate open....or do you sleep "corner-to-diagonal-corner?

The ash M1101-style bows look very professional..... did you fabricate the metal corners or are they available off-the-shelf? And did you bolt the sockets for the ends of the supports to the trailer or are they welded in place? It looks like there's plenty of headroom......enough to sit up and read a TM before bedtime :)

Thanks guys....
Ken
Contact address - muttguru@aol.com
Always wanted - Details and pictures of M416 Trailer data plates & M151 data plates & body-tags for my research. Thanks!

Steve Webb
G-General
G-General

Post by Steve Webb » Tue Aug 10, 2021 1:08 pm

Fortunately the civvy has a tailgate and my hinges were buggered so I made mine removable. I am 5-9 so with 6' bed no problem sleeping regular like a normal bed. Also civy has bed sockets so the pieces were pretty easy to make for the cover. I have made standoffs to keep from having a big puddle in the top during the rain and they are working well just haven't posted them yet.
Stand for the Flag, Kneel for the Cross Psalm 55; 9-11

zoro
G-First Sergeant
G-First Sergeant

Post by zoro » Tue Aug 10, 2021 5:59 pm

Very cool set up! I gotta get some pictures uploaded of mine. For camping cover I welded in some connectors for EMT conduit and made bows from EMT conduit then covered them with a shelter half tent. Fits like a glove!

bugcape
G-Master Sergeant
G-Master Sergeant

Post by bugcape » Mon Aug 16, 2021 7:01 pm

muttguru wrote:
Tue Aug 10, 2021 12:08 pm
Steve and bugcape.... some great ideas there between the two of you.

That air mattress looks real cumfy.....do you need to have the tailgate open....or do you sleep "corner-to-diagonal-corner?

The ash M1101-style bows look very professional..... did you fabricate the metal corners or are they available off-the-shelf? And did you bolt the sockets for the ends of the supports to the trailer or are they welded in place? It looks like there's plenty of headroom......enough to sit up and read a TM before bedtime :)

Thanks guys....
Ken
I'll take some photos of the brackets and bows. Everything, except the ash wood replacement staves, came off of the M101.
The brackets, the metal bottoms that fit into the brackets, and the corners. The cross bar I added for support came from
a futon frame. The brackets are bolted to the tub using 1/4" slotted pan head bolts from an old metal shelving unit. I haven't
slept in mine yet. But I did pick up a big sheet of mosquito netting for $7 at the thrift store, so I'm excited to try that. And
I'm going to size up and add grommets to a cover I found. I think I can make the cover roadworthy. Does anybody know what
size number the black grommets are typically on Military Vehicle Covers? I only have the brass kit from Harbor Freight for now.
With the bows I can haul 4 kayaks with ease.
Da Gas Man

Return to “Trailers 1/4 ton”