Bantam T3-C sheetmetal?

Quarter-ton trailer series, Wanted, USED PARTS FOR SALE NO EBAY or COMMERCIAL SALES., and Knowledge Base
Dbaumanjr
G-Master Sergeant
G-Master Sergeant
Bantam T3-C sheetmetal?

Post by Dbaumanjr » Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:58 pm

My father just acquired what appears to be a Bantam T3-C trailer.
We know nothing about 1/4 ton trailers, having restored a M718 frontline ambulance, 2 M274 mules & I'm working on a mostly original M715.
The box on this trailer is BEAT! I see that trailer floors & complete box kits are available. But does anyone reproduce the civilian tailgate or bed reinforcements on the rear corners? How about the stake pockets?
We could put a reproduction military box on it, but having the tailgate would be handy.
BTW, this trailer has combat wheels on it. It is, of course missing the landing leg & has had a trailer coupler welded to the tongue.
Thanks in advance,
Darryl
Real Jeeps are Olive Drab
'67 M715 w/winch
'66 M718 Frontline Ambulance
'64 M274a1 Finished!
'58 M274 Finished!

canorisa
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

Re: Bantam T3-C sheetmetal?

Post by canorisa » Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:34 pm

Pictures please!!!!!
Once a Marine!, Always a Marine!, Semper Fi! - Combat Wounded Vet, Desert Storm/Desert Shield Persian Gulf 1992
E-mail: canorisa@msn.com
1946 Bantam T3-C - Restored

Rus Curtis
G-Second Lieutenant
G-Second Lieutenant

Post by Rus Curtis » Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:37 am

Darryl,
Congrats to y'all! As you may know, the Bantam T-3C is a civilian version of the Bantam T-3 military trailer.

The manual, TM-10-1281 will apply (except for the obvious differences) including hardware, operations, maintenance, etc.

There is a website on these civilian trailers that grew out of a serial number database started years ago that has a lot of info.
http://bantamt3c.com/

There is also a forum that covers nearly everything on these trailers as well.
https://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/forums.html?C=8

So, to your questions. Every tub panel is exactly like the military versions. The early civilian trailers were military left-overs with tailgates cut into them so, literally the T-3 military trailer was modified for the civilian market. These early T-3C's used reinforcement tubes at the rear corners. They had ACM numbers and 4 tarp tie-downs/side also with a few other minor left-overs. Some also had combat wheels, too.

The later T-3C's were built with only 3 tarp tie-downs/side and rear corner panels vs. tubes for support. They were only built to accommodate one driver's side tail light. If you see one of these trailers with 2 tail lights, it was added at some point by its owner.

There is only one manufacturer that supplies parts: MDJuan. Several military vendors offer these parts, so you'll need to do some online shopping with maybe a few phone calls to verify stock (not really sure how committed MDJuan is to ensuring enough parts are available). I have seen rear panels and actual tailgates (these will have a reinforcement running around the edge) offered along with some other cross-over parts like the landing legs/swivels. The stake pockets should be present on a civilian. The only reason they'd be missing is if an owner cut them off. A military trailer that had a tailgate cut into the rear would not have stake pockets. AFAIK, these stake pockets aren't made but could easily be copied at a local sheet metal shop. The 2A forum would be able to help on measurements.

Art, who runs the trailer website, would no doubt enjoy getting your trailer's information to include it in the database.

Yes, pictures are welcome! Can you read the serial number? Who knows, you may have a mil trailer that someone tried to convert into a civilian....
Rus Curtis
'54 CJ-3B
T3-C

signsup
banned

Post by signsup » Thu Jun 20, 2019 5:02 pm

And, don't forget the hand brake. The civilian verson had no set up for the hand brake. The body tub may have the holes drilled for the brake quadrant and also for the blackout light switch, but the civilian had no hand brake handle and other parts including the actual brake shoes and all those parts.
So, if you converted this trailer to a military version, you would have considerable work to install the brake parts, lunette eye, safety chains and correct tail lights. And, if you like the tail gate, leave it. It's your frickin trailer.

But, if it were mine, I'd get it close to military looks with the tail lights and maybe add a non working brake handle to appearance and the lunette eye so you can tow it behind your military vehicles and pait it OD green and keep the combat wheels. Don't worry about a correct civilian sheet metal, in my opinion, just get it close.

I presume the civilian trailers did not have the floor drain plug as it had the tail gate, so another difference between the two.

Some fun decisions for you and your Dad. Priceless . .
Robert Brough
Winston, GA
2018 MVPA Honor Service Award
President, GA MVPA

Dbaumanjr
G-Master Sergeant
G-Master Sergeant

Post by Dbaumanjr » Fri Jun 21, 2019 3:26 am

Before my dad took the trailer home to "hide it from mom", I had about a half an hour to study it......
It has the sheetmetal filler where the floor drain would be. It has the sheetmetal corner supports at the rear. It used to have stake pockets that look like they were chiselled off. I didn't get a chance to locate a serial number. Its around the left front spring hanger? It has reinforcing pipes at the top of the front wall & tailgate. It has 3 tie downs per side. The fenders, frame & axle look really good. The box, not so much. It looks like it hauled a ton of stone every month since it was new. And the stone was dropped in from a second story window. I'm pretty sure that I could save the front wall & bedsides, with alot of hammer & anvil work. I could probably save the tailgate. The rear corner gussets could be saved. But it would take alot of work.
The floor is pretty much destroyed. The landing leg is missing. But it looks like the is some cast part below where a steel triangle was welded to the top of the tongue A frame. Theres also a steel triangle on the bottom welded of the A frame to mount a coupler to. Rust is very minimal. No data plate. No large holes in the front wall for a light switch.
Hopefully, this paints a picture of what we are starting with.
Thanks for the links & info.
I haven't been successful in the past with posting pictures. As i get some this weekend, I could text them to someone to post. If thats a possibility.
Darryl
Real Jeeps are Olive Drab
'67 M715 w/winch
'66 M718 Frontline Ambulance
'64 M274a1 Finished!
'58 M274 Finished!

Pat Gray
Sergeant Major of the Gee
Sergeant Major of the Gee

Post by Pat Gray » Fri Jun 21, 2019 4:16 am

Darryl,
I have some stake pockets. If you are interested please feel free to contact me.
Pat

Rus Curtis
G-Second Lieutenant
G-Second Lieutenant

Post by Rus Curtis » Fri Jun 21, 2019 4:46 am

Darryl,
Yes, the description does help. It is really sounding like you have a T-3C. The rear support panels and remnants of stake pockets make it more obvious. Only the very early trailers would have an ACM under the spring hanger. After that stock was used up, only the serial plate on the front panel (drivers side) was used. At the very least, there should be a couple of holes where it used to be. It is possible there's a serial plate covered in paint.

Sounds like the Previous Owner (PO) got his money's worth out of that trailer!
Rus Curtis
'54 CJ-3B
T3-C

signsup
banned

Post by signsup » Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:52 am

And, take it from me, it's not just turn the trailer over upside down and look at the number. Spring and entire hanger bracket needs to be removed from frame. You might do this in a frame off restoration, but would not if everything is solid.

From your description, you may want to look at the MBT that is for sale in Ohio for $250 for parts. Doesn't sound like many parts are on his trailer which is why it is still for sale, but it does have two decent side panels and most of the front panel fenders and frame, so maybe between his parts trailer and your project trailer, you could could up with an affordable MBT trailer salad. I don't think his trailer has any parking brake hardware, so you'd still have to think about that, but it would have the correct hubs and axle for brakes, an easy swap out.
Robert Brough
Winston, GA
2018 MVPA Honor Service Award
President, GA MVPA

TROYWILCOXSON
banned

Post by TROYWILCOXSON » Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:39 pm

I may have the stake pockets and tailgat side pieces that you are looking for on my parts trailer. Message me if you are still looking.
Regards

Troy Wilcoxson
USN LT retired

48Cj2a
USAF E-7 MSgt
USAF E-7 MSgt

Post by 48Cj2a » Wed Feb 19, 2020 2:12 am

Darryl,

I would like to get some pictures of your trailer for the website, you can email them to me at 48cj2a@sbcglobal.net

Would like front, back, left and right sides, springs, shackles and hangers, front drawbar casting, wheels, frame rail rear between the axle and spring mount to see if shock mount holes are present, axle to determine two piece welded in the center or smooth one solid tube the floor drain patch. Reflector Bezel close up showing MFG and Model if they look original and anything else you think is of value in documentation.

thanks!
Art C. USAF Retired (42 years)
Central Illinois

47 CJ2A #134955 Project
48 CJ2A #194287 Project
48 CJ2A #206759
45 T3-C #191
47 T3-C #12183
http://48cj2a.com/
http://bantamt3c.com/

Return to “Trailers 1/4 ton”