Fuel filler hose

1959 - 1962, Mighty Mite, M422, Wanted, USED PARTS FOR SALE, and Knowledge Base
takpak
G-Sergeant
G-Sergeant

Fuel filler hose

Post by takpak » Fri Dec 31, 2021 9:01 am

For those of you who have restored your Mites, and have had the delightful experience (and I say that with much sarcasm) of installing the gas filler tube in that wonderfully large and accessible (again said with much sarcasm) cavity in the body, is there a different tube (more flexible, less thick) that you've successfully used, or is there a neat trick to get the thicker and less flexible tube that most places seem to stock to slide in and fit!! Many colorful phrases and bashed knuckles later, I'm still working on mine, trying to get it to slide into place! I will (eventually) get it, I hope, but just wondering if there is something better to get or an easier way to do it? Otherwise, I'm almost finished with the Mite project, and ready for a road test!!! :o
Terry K.
Vietnam Veteran
U.S. Navy
Current: 1962 M-422A1, 1953 Air Force M-43, 1942 Navy EP GPW Script

Previous: 1954 M-37, 1971 M-35, 1951 M-38

mspeters
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major

Re: Fuel filler hose

Post by mspeters » Fri Dec 31, 2021 11:22 am

Soft-wall? or wire reinforced or thick corrugated (marine) filler hose ? Soft-wall is do-able. It’s still a bleeding exercise.

https://www.fillernecksupply.com/2-inch ... 27-rswff2/

A heater hose with a formed 90 degree bend is easier install for the vent line. I recall using a fairly common Honda hose.

first 422
G-Staff Sergeant
G-Staff Sergeant

Re: Fuel filler hose

Post by first 422 » Thu Jan 06, 2022 11:07 am

I was able to find both the fill hose and the cross vent hose at my local Napa auto parts store. I used 90wt gear lube to lube up the inside of the hoses as well as the outside of the fittings. I did this to get my Mite running 1" of crud in the fuel tank and a hole near the drain plug. This helps a lot but as Mark said it's a bleeding exercise.
Good luck,
Ed

Return to “M422 Mighty Mite”