Driving the Mite

1959 - 1962, Mighty Mite, M422, Wanted, USED PARTS FOR SALE, and Knowledge Base
rob w
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major

Driving the Mite

Post by rob w » Sun Nov 24, 2019 8:21 am

Driving the Mite

Guys, I had the pleasure of putting some fun miles on the mite this past fall and I thought you may all enjoy the observations.
At the insistence of a fellow board member (Radar), I applied to do the Colorado Flat Fender Club “Fall Color Tour” earlier this year. (It’s a lottery because it has become so popular) It is a heavy driving event for early Willys Jeeps at high altitude in Buena Vista Colorado. Pretty much civilian jeeps, (but some military) I thought I would take our M38 but as it became a reality, I realized the M38 wasn’t really quite ready, so I asked if I could bring a mighty mite. (It’s pretty much restricted to willys jeeps), but there have been some exceptions in the past. So, Mike Picard, the event’s main organizer agreed and I thought it would be fun especially since I had a relatively new engine (about 500 miles since I rebuilt it)
As time came closer, I got some emails from the event about preparing for the trip, one email had me a little concerned....”you will be driving your vehicle up to 100 miles a day over varied terrain at high altitudes, if you are not prepared for this, this event may not be for you.” At that point, I though, what have I gotten into.... I had figured the daily drives would be the typical MV event 15-20 mile tour.... boy was I wrong.
So, I quickly took care of some neglected maintenance issues that I had been putting off. Some weeping at the rear seal on the pinion, as well as the two inboard brake seals on the rear diff, bled the brakes and loaded up. Luckily another well qualified Mite mechanic was there to give me technical and moral support for whatever I was in for.
The first day was a little hour-long pre-run to make sure all the vehicles were tuned and running okay.
There was a little climbing in 4WD and I thought this won’t be too bad. (the base elevation at Buena Vista is 7900+ feet.... that’s before any climbing)

So early the next morning we headed to the drivers meeting and off we went in a couple of different groups with different routes depending on your adventure level. (there are some heavily built rigs there that can take on the toughest trials...) We opted for the “easy” runs with our antique Mighty Mite.
The easy run turned out to be not nothing... we drove to 11,800 feet that day, and it was an all-day affair...lots of driving, shifting, climbing, descending water crossings and some short breaks, but mostly lots of driving.
We don’t typically do so much driving in the MV community so if was nice to get out and do it. There were some challenging climbs, in low and descents in low. The pictures never do it justice and a few “shelf roads” that were exciting. The mite did quite well although, at 11,800 it had some trouble breathing and I had to keep it revved up a little to make sure it wouldn’t stall... I also had the temp light come on a bit in some of the longer sustained climbs.
First day was something like 80 miles plus, much of it in 4WD/LOW. It basically took all day. At the end of the day you are pretty tired, get a meal, hit the sack and do it all over again. So, this went on for four more days. Over varied terrain in beautiful Buena Vista Colorado. It was unbelievable scenery with great people.... about 400 miles over just a few days and some pretty rough and very dusty driving. The mite ran excellent for the most part with some exceptions 1) aforementioned breathing problems at altitude, 2) Gearing is a bit different from most of the CJ2As and CJ3As on the trail so I found myself shifting more than I would have liked when were group climbing & descending. 3) long slow climbs and temp elevation. 4) The stock NTDs were a bit weak after 3 days, so on the fourth I changed to another set of rims/tires I had that had more modern tires...what a difference!
Otherwise it was an unbelievable time and tons on fun meeting lots of new friends and visiting with some old ones! Paul, thanks for suggesting we do this!
As a side note, I think my mite has the high time for a recoated nikasil cylinders. They seem to be going fine at this juncture ~1000 miles so far... this was of course a pretty good torture test. The pictures don’t do it justice, but here’s a few....

IvorGPW
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major
Re: Driving the Mite

Post by IvorGPW » Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:03 am

Thanks for the report. I was curious when I saw a mite as I followed the thread on the CJ2A page. Glad it went well.
Tate Christensen
1944 Ford GPW #234613 USMC Radio jeep
1943 Willys MB #263100
1945 Willys CJ2A #10226
1941 Ford GP #9687
1941 Willys MB #100161

Bill H.
G Moderator
G Moderator

Post by Bill H. » Sun Nov 24, 2019 5:02 pm

Looks like a blast!
Bill H.

"Each shall seek his own kind, in other words, a bird may love a fish but where would they build a home together?" Tevye, Fiddler on the Roof

1952 Dunbar Kapple M100
1953 Willys M38A1
1962 AMC M422A1
1965 Stevens M416B1 X 2
1967 Kaiser M715

2 Timothy 3:1-5

mdainsd
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by mdainsd » Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:40 am

Sounds like the little Mite showed itself well. Nearly 12,000" feet crawling along with an air cooled engine, im surprised you didn't have more trouble. As your lungs told you there is far less air up there.

I don't think the Marines included alpine fighting when they were thinking about the specs for the Mite.

Back in the mid seventies I had one that I drove as my daily driver, freeways and all. Every Wednesday after work I'd run home, hook up the bike trailer and a friend and I would head to the local race course for night motocross. Good times.
52 M38 2X, '52 M37, '44 WC51, '42 WC 56/57, '50 CJ-V35(U), '42 GPW, '44 M3A1 Scout Car, 2010 M-Gator

Radar4xfour
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major

Post by Radar4xfour » Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:03 am

Rob,

Thanks for the post-trip writeup! It was great to escape the Midwest and hang out with you and the others in CO! The amount of time you and your machine spent on the trail is not only a testament to your pre-trip preparation it is also worthy to note your willingness to try something new. The new being the Nikasil coated cylinders.

Gee, I'm curious how a group of Mite Mite owners could ever agree and commit to Mighty Mite gathering like the flat fender folks do.

While we all ponder that question I'll leave you with a picture from CO of Rob's 1,000 mile in a week Mighty Mite!

Radar
Attachments
GOPR1566 copy 2.jpg
GOPR1566 copy 2.jpg (40.34 KiB) Viewed 1441 times

rob w
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major

Post by rob w » Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:47 pm

Thanks Guys,

Thought you would enjoy....it was a TON of fun, great people, vehicles, scenery etc....there were a few military vehicles... most of the M38's were in civilian colors, and there was a rare USMC CJ V35 as well.... I was really surprised to see that.

I too was surprised there weren't more problems, mostly relegated to the highest altitude stuff and the long climbs. Once we got to slightly lower altitude it ran a bit better. All in all the mite did very well...

Nice to get out there and drive em! Going to have to do more of this....

Rob

jrlatt
G-Sergeant
G-Sergeant

Post by jrlatt » Sun Jan 12, 2020 4:02 am

Hello

It looked like a fun trip. I was curios about the the tires you put put on.

Thanks

Bill H.
G Moderator
G Moderator

Post by Bill H. » Sun Jan 12, 2020 6:27 am

A long long time ago out in the Mojave Desert. Good comparison with a Rubicon.

Bill H.

"Each shall seek his own kind, in other words, a bird may love a fish but where would they build a home together?" Tevye, Fiddler on the Roof

1952 Dunbar Kapple M100
1953 Willys M38A1
1962 AMC M422A1
1965 Stevens M416B1 X 2
1967 Kaiser M715

GPW1263
Sergeant Major of the Gee
Sergeant Major of the Gee

Post by GPW1263 » Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:24 am

All good photos but that last one is amazing. What a comparison! It would be even better if there was a lineup including all the various jeeps along with the Mite and the MUTT.

Cheers,
TJ

Radar4xfour
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major

Post by Radar4xfour » Mon Jan 13, 2020 4:20 pm

New tire thread started, this makes it easier for other to find the information and keeps this thread on topic.

Regards,

Radar

Bill H.
G Moderator
G Moderator

Post by Bill H. » Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:47 am

GPW1263 wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:24 am
All good photos but that last one is amazing. What a comparison! It would be even better if there was a lineup including all the various jeeps along with the Mite and the MUTT.

Cheers,
TJ
This is the only other comparison photo I have. Gotta use what's available ;)

Bill H.

1952 Dunbar Kapple M100
1953 Willys M38A1
1962 AMC M422A1
1965 Stevens M416B1 X 2
1967 Kaiser M715

Return to “M422 Mighty Mite”