Stuck problem

1959 - 1962, Mighty Mite, M422, Wanted, USED PARTS FOR SALE, and Knowledge Base
takpak
G-Corporal
G-Corporal

Stuck problem

Post by takpak » Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:42 am

Got what may be a BIG problem. Am rebuilding the Mite, and now have the engine/transmission/transfer out and on the bench. I have been unable to separate the tranny assembly from the engine. Everything is unbolted and loose, made sure of that. I have tried wedges to get it apart, no luck. From what I can see through the slight gap, the flywheel is pretty rusted, from sitting those 50 years I guess. What I fear is the tranny input shaft is froze to the clutch assembly (which is inoperable/frozen) and of course the assembly is still bolted to the flywheel, which at this point I can't get to. No access anywhere on the bell housing to apply heat or spray lubricant, so stuck there. I sure as heck don't want to break anything. My option now is to take it to the rebuild shop where they hopefully have more specialized tools, unless somebody here on the forum has had this problem and has a solution? Thanks all for any help/ideas. :?: :idea:

TK
Terry K.
Vietnam Veteran
U.S. Navy
Own an M-422A1, an M-43, and a Navy VEP GPW

takpak
G-Corporal
G-Corporal

Re: Stuck problem

Post by takpak » Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:38 pm

An update to the above situation.....success. It took some patience, some choice mechanical incantations, some prayer, and a lot of concern (for not breaking something) but finally, the aforementioned parts.......parted. Slowly, with wedges between the tranny and the bell housing, some judicious tapping with a hammer, slowly putting pressure on the parts, when suddenly I heard a "pop" and behold, the parts separated. Oh yeah, there was plenty of corrosion, and things were pretty tight. But it's all good now. To give credence to the old adage "use it or lose it" especially on parts that are supposed to move.....once in a while.
Onward and upward.
Terry K.
Vietnam Veteran
U.S. Navy
Own an M-422A1, an M-43, and a Navy VEP GPW

first 422
G-Corporal
G-Corporal

Re: Stuck problem

Post by first 422 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:18 am

Congrats on your success!! I'm working on my own Mighty Mite and use this forum for reference also.
The website M422a.com has some great pictures of a Mighty Mite drive train restore for future reference and the same link to the books as this site for the Mighty Mite.

Good luck with your project!!
Ed

Return to “M422 Mighty Mite”