WTB Tub for '66 M151A1

1959 - 1978, M151, M151A1, M151A2, Wanted jeeps or parts, list your needs.
Phrogz
G-Civilian

WTB Tub for '66 M151A1

Post by Phrogz » Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:27 am

tl;dr: I've got a M151A1 with a lot of bad body rust, and I'm hoping sells a full tub to replace the majority of the body.

Details:
When I was 10 my father bought a 1966 Ford M151A1 from a local who had gone to the junkyard and welded the pieces of a junked jeep back together.
When I was 11 or 12 I learned I to drive on that Jeep, on private mountain roads and fields in the Catskill mountains. I have a lot of fond memories of that time. My father eventually sold it to one of my cousins who lived in the area, and he in turn eventually sold it outside the family.

For my 40th Birthday my wife tracked it down and had it hauled to me in Colorado. It's in much worse shape these days. I just poured a silly amount of money into getting it running again...and only then realized how bad the rust situation is. A light stop would put driver's or passenger's foot through the floor, and it's not just there.

I've only found two people locally who will look at the body. The first person estimates roughly $25,000 (!!!) to repair the rust. I love this jeep, and I'm willing to put more money into it than I would get back when selling, but not quite that much. I'm meeting the second person today for another quote.

I'm not trying to restore it to mint condition or all-original parts. I just want it to work so my son and daughter can drive it without it falling apart or injuring them.

So: how does one find a tub for this year and model? Do they exist, manufactured new?

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

70th Division
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General
Re: WTB Tub for '66 M151A1

Post by 70th Division » Wed Jan 20, 2021 4:06 pm

Hello,

Welcome to the G !!!!

Your jeep sounds like a great Jeep story with a personal connection for sure :D :D

There are no "bodies" out there, and the jeeps were all uni-body construction.

The GREAT news is that the answer to affordably saving and restoring your jeep is right here on the G 503 !!!

See this post : viewtopic.php?f=14&t=227412

Guy is making all the new replacement panels to restore your M151 jeep !!!

This is the only way to go, and it would be a great idea to contact Guy directly here on the G.

He has done the impossible and is making non existent M151 replacement panels here in the USA for owners to restore their often rusted away jeeps.

You can rebuild your entire jeep body, or have someone skilled do it, with all the correct parts, safe and solid
:D :D :D

DON'T Get Ripped OFF with a body shop repairing your body !!!
That is ridiculous !!!

(Your pictures did not come through of your jeep )

You are in the right place to save your jeep :D :D

The US Government mandated that this model jeep was cut into pieces before being sold as scrap due to roll over issues.
That is why it was a welded back together jeep.

A very common practice to re-weld , but rust eventually destroys these jeeps completely.

Now Guy has changed the situation for the M151 Jeeps and has given them a future :D :D :D

Good Luck,

Best Regards,
Ray

Fil Bonica
G-Captain
G-Captain

Post by Fil Bonica » Thu Jan 21, 2021 8:37 am

Consider buying a good vehicle instead of a body only.
Vin Zike down in Florida has a newly assembled unit for sale.
It uses a repro body that was new.
It would also be a good choice also.
Some thoughts to consider.

Fil Bonica

lpcoating
Sergeant Major of the Gee
Sergeant Major of the Gee

Post by lpcoating » Fri Feb 05, 2021 4:00 am

Hello. Here is the link to our body panel website:

www.m151bodypanels.com

This has been updated with all of the parts we currently have in production. There are a few parts that are still in "prototype" stage (Toe boards, A2 rear cross member and a few more) so if you don't see what you're looking for, let me know.

Ray - Thank you for the kind words. I enjoy supplying the parts and have met some really nice people over the years of doing it.

Guy

Bart1015
G-Major
G-Major

Post by Bart1015 » Sat Mar 27, 2021 5:49 am

Body work, when done correctly, is very expensive. The pictures you posted don't show the rust damage very well but we can assume it needs a lot of work.

$25,000 seems high. But, restoring a body that has been cut/re-welded and has substantial rust will be costly.

I have rebuilt several M151 bodies using some of Guys panels. The panels are really nice, but with a cut MUTT, the replacement panels may not fit without substantial modifications.

You mentioned that you don't necessarily want to restore the jeep completely. Make sure you communicate to your body guy as to what is acceptable to you. I have found on more than one occasion that, what I find unacceptable, is just fine with someone else. This is where you may be able to cut some costs.

My guess, if the body is really bad, you will be looking at 15-20,000 to eliminate the rust and to restore the body. That is not including reassembly and fixing other issues (breaks, tires, shocks, bushings etc.). If that is to high, you may want to consider finding another jeep. There are a lot of nice MUTTS out there for the price you will spend on restoring yours.

Brett
1942 VEP GPW, J-2 winch, BC-659, 1919a4
1945 GPW, 1943 MBT
Sold - 1967 M151a1, 1943 MB, M416
www.ToThePointPolygraph.com

markrdje
USMC Sergeant
USMC Sergeant

Post by markrdje » Sat Mar 27, 2021 6:49 am

On m151, took it to antique car restoration place, after repairing back part of the body side directly behind the driver's seat, the guy said he wouldn't ever work on it again cuz of the rust on the body, don't bring it back.He fixed it good though.The channels underneath needed replaced(the proper way would be cut them out, then weld the new ones in place.I am leery of doing that as no place to weld in the new ones.
I might add, the curved channels that supported the engine were replaced, the guy charged me $9000.(different guy)This was in 2009.Of course he didn't tell me this until after he was done.For that price I could have bought 3 or 4 mutts.Now a days, nobody does that type of work.All they are now are parts replacing.That old time body shop work was really a skill/art.Reminds me of sheet metal work.
change user name to mark

Return to “M151's Wanted”