WTB: Complete ROPS

1959 - 1978, M151, M151A1, M151A2, Wanted jeeps or parts, list your needs.
signsup
banned

WTB: Complete ROPS

Post by signsup » Tue Jul 07, 2020 4:33 pm

My first M151 and the stories and pics of them rolling over scare the heck out of having my son drive this jeep. The ROPS is not a bad look and I'd be interested in a complete system. I have seen many individual parts for sale, but I'd pay a premium to get all the parts at once.
Robert Brough
Winston, GA
2018 MVPA Honor Service Award
President, GA MVPA

W. Winget
LTC, U.S. Army
LTC, U.S. Army

Re: WTB: Complete ROPS

Post by W. Winget » Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:59 am

Hard to think you can find a NOS system, most will be like the one in my backyard as a removed what was left. The Nylonesk side screens rot in the sun, the foam padding around the bars held on by wide black tape rots and deteriorates in the sun, etc.

You add about 400 or so Lbs with the ROPS. (not to mention chopping the jeep up and drilling almost 50 holes and moving the light switch assembly and cutting the tool lid cover) :shock: :shock: :shock:
If you already have large radio sets, this will make the MUTT wallow like a pig in turns.

If you teach him the "Why" of rollovers in the MUTT, then he should be a "Safe" driver. The A2 was redesigned and tends to have 'less' rollover potential, Just watch that he doesn't treat it like a Dune Buggy with power slides and he should do ok.

Excessive speed during a sharp turn of any off road vehicle on or off pavement can roll even the HUMVEE, M931 series (worst record for rollovers) or MRAP.

Ever notice all these modern SUV's and Crossovers with 4 wheel independent suspension...they can roll as well. A simple Sway Bar bolted in to the rear suspension off of a small SUV would go a lot farther than ROPS in 'preventing' a roll over.

And lastly, if your MUTT doesn't have a ROPS, trade it to someone with ROPS so you don't butcher a perfectly fine vehicle that served it's whole term with ROPS as a last minute upgrade as it was going out the Service Life door with HUMVEEs replacing it.
Sorry to sound like a rant, I have a ROPS set in the back yard my friend put there ten years ago, no nylon/little foam, I could enquire about, but I think it's better to trade a MUTT than cut her up.
V/R W Winget
Looking for 1918 Standard B 'Liberty' truck parts

Rickf
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Rickf » Wed Jul 08, 2020 11:22 am

If you do decide to go with the ROPS go for the Canadian setup where they do not drill through the back fenders. They mount the rear tubes to plates on the fender tops. Will it bend the fenders down in a roll? Yes, but not to the point of killing the occupants and that is what you are looking for, saving the occupants. Most of the damage done by the original ROPS system was in the rear tube area where they wend down through the fenders and attached that abortion of a mount inside the rear fender area. The Canadians were much smarter about it. Ans any american ROPS can be modified to mount like the Canadian very easily. A lot more easily than mounting it the original what that is for sure.
1964 M151A1
1984 M1008
1967 M416
04/1952 M100
12/1952 M100- Departed
AN/TSQ-114A Trailblazer- Gone

finhead
G-First Sergeant
G-First Sergeant

Post by finhead » Sun Jul 19, 2020 10:42 am

What I did with mine was to leave the two floor mounts in and modified the roll bar. The one bar over the driver and passenger seats. Not so cumbersome and some protection.

Return to “M151's Wanted”