G503 New web page for serial numbers

Discussion, suggestions and issues regarding the sn.g503.com G503 WWII jeep Serial Number Database application and interface.
David
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Re: G503 New web page for serial numbers

Post by David » Sat Jan 02, 2021 2:59 am

Is it really needed for the database to name the owner anyway? I'd say just the info about the jeep is enough?

steviem
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major

Post by steviem » Sat Jan 02, 2021 4:17 am

True, I noticed MBs with the same DOD as mine and was hoping to find hood numbers too. I suppose with the owners name it could be possible to get in touch for verification.

Ken Creason
Master Control rep
Master Control rep

Post by Ken Creason » Sat Jan 02, 2021 4:34 am

Klaas wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 1:30 am
Great effort!
Could do with a search button. Perhaps in the near future.
Also noticed that Cam Bennett lives all over the world :D
Do you see a search button at the top navigation?
_Ken
----------
(Insert here a seemingly endless list, broad in range and vast in scope, of very impressive accomplishments, which may or may not be true)
Your credibility is determined by the quality of advice that you give; your respectability is determined by how you give it.

Adam
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Adam » Sat Jan 02, 2021 4:52 am

Whats wrong with the old serial number pages?

Adam

Ken Creason
Master Control rep
Master Control rep

Post by Ken Creason » Sat Jan 02, 2021 5:59 am

YLG80 wrote:
Sun Dec 27, 2020 2:37 am
Unfortunately it seems that empty entries are not blocked. The last two entries,
record# 7105 and 7104, have no serial number entries nor any jeep description.
Data Required for Submission is an issue on which I would like to get some feedback. The goal of the SN application
is to collect and provide as much evidence of existing jeeps, or even significant parts of jeeps, as possible using the
serial numbers for identification if possible, but including even those assembled entirely of repro parts. Perhaps someday
they'll slap a data plate on there they got of ebay. Besides, if it looks like a jeep and smells like a jeep, why not
bring one back from the (oh so many) dead?
YLG80 wrote:
Only a feedback to the webmaster.
Thanks! Your feedback is appreciated. :)
_Ken
----------
(Insert here a seemingly endless list, broad in range and vast in scope, of very impressive accomplishments, which may or may not be true)
Your credibility is determined by the quality of advice that you give; your respectability is determined by how you give it.

Ken Creason
Master Control rep
Master Control rep

Post by Ken Creason » Sat Jan 02, 2021 6:09 am

YLG80 wrote:
It looks like a user entry error but this will jam the DB.
?
YLG80 wrote:
Also the jeeps are sorted by last updated and no longer by new entries.
The jeeps are listed by the date that the record was last updated, which includes when it was created,
so if the Created Date and the Updated Date are the same... it is a new entry. I'll spell that out a little
more clearly after I deal with completing the data points in Add and Edit.

Your feedback is appreciated,
_Ken
----------

Ken Creason
Master Control rep
Master Control rep

Post by Ken Creason » Sat Jan 02, 2021 6:25 am

Henk wrote:
Sun Dec 27, 2020 4:11 am
And how do I remove my name as owner of a jeep that I sold?
Many of the SNs in the database are not owned by the people who listed them, and they don't have to be; we just want to know they're out there. However, if you do want to remove your name, log in using you email address and the password you provided when you created the SN record to edit the info and remove your name. If you have forgotten your password or did not provide an email address or no longer have access to the original email account, the support page has some options to help you. Or you can request help here if the support page options fail :)
_Ken
----------

Ken Creason
Master Control rep
Master Control rep

Post by Ken Creason » Sat Jan 02, 2021 6:30 am

YLG80 wrote:
Sun Dec 27, 2020 6:08 am
If possible in the future, could we have a link to contact the registered owner?
Yes, that's the plan. Have to be careful about that one though
to respect the privacy of the users and minimize the risk of abuse.
_Ken
----------

Bart1015
G-Major
G-Major

Post by Bart1015 » Sat Jan 02, 2021 6:31 am

YLG80 wrote:
Sat Jan 02, 2021 12:08 am
Bart1015 wrote:
Thu Dec 31, 2020 10:51 am

No one but the jeep owner should enter information into the system. Unless, the owner provides the entry person with permission to do so.

I agree with you arguments, but could you elaborate on how you imagine to restrict the data entry to only the owner, without adding a huge workload on Ron's team.
This was not the initial goal, I guess...

Also isn't it a useful record added by Cam Benett. This is a stolen 1943 GPW in Belgium.
https://sn.g503.com/view/6852

Yves
Yves,

Easy, Ron could have people submit their jeep info into when registering as a user for this webpage.

Again, the information about someone's personal property (jeep) should not be entered into any system without the owner's permission.

I do believe the database serves a very good purpose and I also know that the entries are being made with good intentions. In fact, my jeep is in the system.

I see your point about the stolen jeep. However, the recovery of one stolen jeep does not override the need to protect the rights of each individual citizen.

Brett
1942 VEP GPW, J-2 winch, BC-659, 1919a4
1945 GPW, 1943 MBT
Sold - 1967 M151a1, 1943 MB, M416
www.ToThePointPolygraph.com

Ken Creason
Master Control rep
Master Control rep

Post by Ken Creason » Sat Jan 02, 2021 6:34 am

willik43 wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 1:18 am
It will be a great tool. How to edit existing record details? I am logged
but I can edit model, SN, owner address but not details like DOD, engine sn etc.
I'm working on that now. It is a major priority. Now that the URL rewriting has been done
(g503.com/oldsite/serial-numbers/ to sn.g503.com) I'll have it done within the next day or so if not sooner.
I'll post here when those are finished out.
_Ken
----------

Ken Creason
Master Control rep
Master Control rep

Post by Ken Creason » Sat Jan 02, 2021 6:37 am

Klaas wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 1:30 am
Could do with a search button. Perhaps in the near future.
There should be a Search button at the top of the page. Right now there is only one method: Serial Number Range.
There will be others, feedback will determine the order in which they are made :(
_Ken
----------

Ken Creason
Master Control rep
Master Control rep

Post by Ken Creason » Sat Jan 02, 2021 7:03 am

Adam wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 6:51 am
So if I wanted to find a certain range of numbers I need to scroll and scroll?
Look for the search button at the top of the page.
Adam wrote:
I dont want any of my contact info on there too many scammers, I already have
a seperate email for the gee.
There shouldn't be any email or other contact info visible (involuntarily at
least) anywhere in the program. If you see any I certainly would like to know :)
Adam wrote:
And who is this guy scouring the net for jeep info.
You should not be able to put any info on about a jeep unless it is yours.
In the spirit of "Keep 'em rolling" the program (app, application, database)
is designed to collect information primarily on "what's out there", not so much
as "who owns it". An owner can create his own entry at any time, regardless if
that SN has already been listed. Duplicate serial number entries are allowed
due to the fact that the frame, engine and data plates could potentially be on
entirely different jeeps! Who "owns" that serial number when one has the frame
and another has the matching block and data plates? I certainly would like to know
if it exists and where my matching engine block might be right now...
_Ken
----------

Ken Creason
Master Control rep
Master Control rep

Post by Ken Creason » Sat Jan 02, 2021 7:38 am

sjalbert wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 7:15 am
There's a primitive search function that will allow you to search a range.
It's a stripped down interface to the G503 database from the old site.
The old interface tried to build all options into one tool, which made for
a seemingly complicated set of dropdown boxes that were probably mostly
never used. The new interface seeks to create a set of simplified tools
based on what's most commonly needed, starting with a simple SN range.
Perhaps the next logical step would be Date of Delivery range?
_Ken
----------

Ed Roberts
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major

Post by Ed Roberts » Sat Jan 02, 2021 12:37 pm

Ken, many thanks for what you and Ron, and unknown others are doing on this. Having been around for awhile and observing how the "G" operates, I have every confidence that you and your team will establish the best possible/workable cost effective (time/money) results. May not please everybody, but yeah there well you go. Please hold your course and speed, friend. I much appreciate this.
Safe, Happy and Healthy New Year to you and yours,

Eddie
V/r Eddie
1942 GPW #5739 "Sentimental Reasons"
MVPA & MVCC

YLG80
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by YLG80 » Sun Jan 03, 2021 12:51 am

Hi Ken,

Best wishes for 2021 and thank you very much for taking the time to explain your S/N database development.
Sorry for the long post...trying to make it very clear and useful.

I'm often using a huge G503 database in Excel with the following data:
- the complete G503 dataset up to rec#7103.(I'm regularly updating my dataset)
- all digitized Australian Army jeeps data
- Various post war serial data (WAA Sales data etc ...)
- European databases (not very good though)

IMPROVEMENTS
Two things that would improve a lot the G503 DB usefulness:
Hood numbers : add a triple choice box or 3 ticking options : Original (or Recovered), Best guess, Missing or Unknown
Data plates : also add options like this : Original, Reproduction, Missing or Unknown.

In my DB, I've added fields for these options and I'm updating these fields thanks to the "Comments" field.
Sometimes the owner mentions that he has stripped the hood painting to recover the original hood #. So I update my hood field to "Original"

I've also added two fields automatically calculated:
SLAT GRILL YES/NO calculated with the Willys serial number
MATCHING YES/NO calculated with the Ford FRAME and ENGINE S/N
It helps to extract only the jeeps from the DB.

I've split the location from one field to 3 fields "City", "Region/State", "Country" for stats reasons and I've added the "Continent" automatically calculated
This is how I've published certain stats on G503 a few years ago:
viewtopic.php?p=1724436&sid=c19c84174f7 ... f#p1724436

I've split the "Date of Delivery" field in 3 fields for the same reasons "MM", "DD", "YYYY"
It's interesting because it shows that, for some reasons, the oldest jeeps have better survived than the youngest :shock: .
1942 : 1899 jeeps in the DB
1943 : 1001 jeeps in the DB
1944 : 822 jeeps in the DB
1945 : 680 jeeps in the DB

Adding a multiple choice box to select the jeep model would help a lot.
For some strange reason there is no M201 in the DB.
That's unbelievable because there are many M201 in the USA, UK and France + other European countries.
Only these models are found in the DB : Bantam BRC, Ford GP, Ford GPA, FORD GPW, Willys MA, Willys MB.
No M38, M38a1, M151 (A1/A2) or others.
I don't know why?

ERRORS
On thing to accept is that there are many errors in the DB.
A few of them could be avoided by adding an input validation, but I'm not sure it's worth the effort.
The risk is to multiply the empty fields because the user does not know what to enter.

PRIVACY
Regarding the protection of the rights of each individual citizen, the former database was complying with that goal.
It was impossible to view or fetch the email or even the PM link.
According to me, that's enough to protect privacy.... and believe me, I'm very focused on privacy.
I'm using a special email address for that purpose.
I've rarely used the owner name only as a search key when the user is posting something in the forum. It helps to find what the user vehicle data.
However I've often tried to enter in contact with a newly registered owner via the PM form.

For me the location is much more important and you should not be able to submit the form without updating that field.
I guess it's also of key importance for Ron if he wants to narrow his marketing campaigns or negotiate shipping costs with transporters.
For example, likely for historical reasons, California is THE Jeep State in the USA.

(As a remark: you should also make the location fields mandatory when registering on the G503 forum.
The location should appear in the user data near the posts.
It's very annoying when a user wants to sell something without announcing his location.)

USAGE
Here is how I'm usally using the DB.

Most of the time I start by sorting the DB first by "Jeep Model" and then by frame serial number.
This allows me to work on Willys or Ford jeeps DoD. for example to help a owner to determine his jeep DoD.
It's very useful to have about 25 jeeps displayed on screen before and 25 after a specific serial number in order to discriminate false data and find true pivot data.

For Willys jeeps, I often sort the DB by "Engine number" to try to narrow down the Willys engine date.
That's difficult because of the many engine swaps.
I use also the Willys "Engine number" in correlation with the Willys "Frame #" to find the "Delta" between the numbers along the production years.
Very difficult because of the engine swaps.

I'm also sorting the DB by "DoD", "Year", "Mystery Code", or "Locations" to make stats.
Now that, thanks to Tom, we know more on that "Mystery Code", we could automatically calculate and show the plant location for Ford GPW Jeeps.

I hope that this information will help you in your development.
I'm sure that others will request other features :wink: .

Yves
Ford GPW 1943 - Louisville - DoD 12-7-43
serial 164794

Return to “SN.g503.com”