G503 New web page for serial numbers

Discussion, suggestions and issues regarding the sn.g503.com G503 WWII jeep Serial Number Database application and interface.
yves-jeep
G-Private First Class
G-Private First Class

Re: G503 New web page for serial numbers

Post by yves-jeep » Sun Feb 21, 2021 3:31 am

YLG80 wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:24 am
Adam wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 6:51 am

And who is this guy scouring the net for jeep info. You should not be able to put any info on about a jeep unless it is yours.
I’m interested to have a jeep contact, even if it’s a secondary email.
For example with that newly added jeep from Edward White.(Somme, France)
Thanks to my Australian jeep data, I know that his jeep MB engine was previsouly in an MB registered In the Australian Army registration diary, prior to be installed in his GPW, also registered. And the original MB engine was replaced by a ... GPW engine :D .
Not sure that he knows...

Yves
Hi Yves,
Is that GPW167116 you're referring to? If so, that's my jeep! I certainly had no idea about the engines. If you have any more info I'd absolutely love to see it. When I initially bought it, there was only a vague history - the original owner was told when he went to Aus she was ex RAAF and was still in some sort of RAAF/Army blue-ish grey. So currently have no idea on her true history and we have had to estimate her original hood number.
"Evie"
Ford GPW 167116, Dec 43
Engine No. MB408680
Served in Australia and restored to Ford Factory Markings

YLG80
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by YLG80 » Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:39 am

yves-jeep wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 3:31 am
Hi Yves,
Is that GPW167116 you're referring to? If so, that's my jeep! I certainly had no idea about the engines. If you have any more info I'd absolutely love to see it. When I initially bought it, there was only a vague history - the original owner was told when he went to Aus she was ex RAAF and was still in some sort of RAAF/Army blue-ish grey. So currently have no idea on her true history and we have had to estimate her original hood number.
Hello yves-jeep :D

I'm still wondering how you have discovered my above post :o ?
I'm not sure that your jeep has ever served in the RAAF, because i believe that there are different registration diaries for the RAAF.
But you should enter in contact with Ian Fawbert who knows a lot about the Australian Jeeps in in the army during WWII.
Here is his FB group page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/310216769628245

Let's start with your MB engine MB-408680
That engine was installed on a jeep with the Australian RN # 79918 in an MB registered as follows in the Australian Army RN diary:

Here is a copy of the data in the diary
Andrew_White_Engine_MB-408680.jpg

The engine was mounted on a Willys MB registered originally with the engine number #151926 and the MB frame # 147971

Your Ford GPW 167116 was registered with the Australian RN# 155150 in the AA RN diary N°23.

Andrew_White_GPW-167116.jpg
According to the previous owner, Tim Blake Sudbury, Suffolk UK, your jeep has a hood number 20491132-S.
You can very the data in the G503 database when Tim was the owner: https://sn.g503.com/view/5114

What's sure is that your GPW was once registered under the Australian RN#155150

I hope that this information will help to complete the history of your jeep.
Your jeep and your engine have really traveled a lot around the world !

Yves
Ford GPW 1943 - Louisville - DoD 12-7-43
serial 164794

yves-jeep
G-Private First Class
G-Private First Class

Post by yves-jeep » Mon Feb 22, 2021 12:20 am

YLG80 wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:39 am
yves-jeep wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 3:31 am
Hi Yves,
Hello yves-jeep :D

I'm still wondering how you have discovered my above post :o ?
I'm not sure that your jeep has ever served in the RAAF, because i believe that there are different registration diaries for the RAAF.
But you should enter in contact with Ian Fawbert who knows a lot about the Australian Jeeps in in the army during WWII.
Here is his FB group page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/310216769628245

Let's start with your MB engine MB-408680
That engine was installed on a jeep with the Australian RN # 79918 in an MB registered as follows in the Australian Army RN diary:

Andrew_White_Engine_MB-408680.jpg

The engine was mounted on a Willys MB registered originally with the engine number #151926 and the MB frame # 147971

Your Ford GPW 167116 was registered with the Australian RN# 155150 in the AA RN diary N°23.

Andrew_White_GPW-167116.jpg

According to the previous owner, Tim Blake Sudbury, Suffolk UK, your jeep has a hood number 20491132-S.
You can very the data in the G503 database when Tim was the owner: https://sn.g503.com/view/5114

What's sure is that your GPW was once registered under the Australian RN#155150

I hope that this information will help to complete the history of your jeep.
Your jeep and your engine have really traveled a lot around the world !

Yves
Oh wow that is some superb information!! Thank you kindly. I was actually looking to see if there were any other Jeep owners here on the Somme, and when I searched for it in the search bar your post popped up!

The information from Tim Blake, who was from the company I bought her from, was wrong. When the Jeep was restored in ‘09, the original owner wanted her painted up based off a die cast model of an 82nd Airborne Jeep, thus that hood number appeared.

The pictures you’ve sent are amazing and will be going in the research folder! Thanks so much!

Andrew
"Evie"
Ford GPW 167116, Dec 43
Engine No. MB408680
Served in Australia and restored to Ford Factory Markings

YLG80
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by YLG80 » Mon Feb 22, 2021 1:12 am

yves-jeep wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 12:20 am
Oh wow that is some superb information!! Thank you kindly. I was actually looking to see if there were any other Jeep owners here on the Somme, and when I searched for it in the search bar your post popped up!

The information from Tim Blake, who was from the company I bought her from, was wrong. When the Jeep was restored in ‘09, the original owner wanted her painted up based off a die cast model of an 82nd Airborne Jeep, thus that hood number appeared.

The pictures you’ve sent are amazing and will be going in the research folder! Thanks so much!

Andrew
Hi Andrew,
That's the power of the Google search engine :)!
Until last year we have owned a nice house in Fort-Mahon-Plage, Somme (F).
But I've never been there with my Jeep :)!

So I understand that the hood number was the one on the die cast model :) ?

If you want to keep the Australian diary, you may download it from here (# 23):
https://www.awm.gov.au/collection/C2143590
The diaries are stored in the Australian War Memorial near Canberra and thanks to the efforts of Ian Fawbert, they have been digitized and made available to MV collectors.

You will find your jeep on page 122 of the pdf file.

The RN 155150 painted on the hood and below the spare wheel of your jeep would be correct!

I don't see other jeeps in the Somme in the G503 database.

Your jeep was a member of a large batch manufactured and shipped by Ford to Australia, starting from +/- December 13th , 1943 with serial # 165xxx
My own jeep was delivered to the U.S. Army just one week before among a few other with serial #164xxx shipped to Australia.

If you contact Tom on his FB page he will confirm from which Ford plant your jeep was issued.
You need good photos of your data plates and/or frame serial number

Regards
Yves
serial 164794

Michael O.
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Michael O. » Sun Mar 28, 2021 9:03 pm

It was nice to be able to select vehicles by DoD range, like you could on the old system. Remember, that jeeps were not delivered in serial number order...so I found that searching by DoD was a very useful tool.

Perhaps this feature can be brought back? I’m afraid that I find the current format practically unusable.
Michael O’Connell

Too many jeeps…and a Dodge.

MVPA 13861

Ken Creason
Master Control rep
Master Control rep

Post by Ken Creason » Mon Mar 29, 2021 2:17 am

Michael O. wrote:
Sun Mar 28, 2021 9:03 pm
It was nice to be able to select vehicles by DoD range, like you could on the old system.
I found that searching by DoD was a very useful tool.
Perhaps this feature can be brought back?
Yes, search by DOD range is the next tool to be implemented.
Michael O. wrote:
Sun Mar 28, 2021 9:03 pm
I’m afraid that I find the current format practically unusable.
The difficulty in development is knowing what is usable and what is a waste of time. :|
That's the point of this forum.
_Ken
----------
(Insert here a seemingly endless list, broad in range and vast in scope, of very impressive accomplishments, which may or may not be true)
Your credibility is determined by the quality of advice that you give; your respectability is determined by how you give it.

onewbk1
G-Staff Sergeant
G-Staff Sergeant

Post by onewbk1 » Tue Feb 01, 2022 10:10 am

CW 27775 * Can somebody help me identify just bought this Jeep with this number on the shock area on the frame.

JAB
G-General
G-General

Post by JAB » Tue Feb 01, 2022 11:29 am

onewbk1 wrote:
Tue Feb 01, 2022 10:10 am
CW 27775 * Can somebody help me identify just bought this Jeep with this number on the shock area on the frame.
Are you sure it isn't GPW-27775? GPW-230283 had the W stamped so lightly that it isn't visible at all, yet we know it's GPW. I assume yours is similar but with a lightly stamped G and P.

Here's one that might be only two away, GPW-27773; https://sn.g503.com/view/4962
-Jeff

GR8GPN2U!!!

libbster29
G-Lieutenant Colonel
G-Lieutenant Colonel

Post by libbster29 » Sun Apr 10, 2022 8:57 pm

Picked up a Willys mb 327052
Not sure if this is the place to put it

YLG80
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by YLG80 » Sun Apr 10, 2022 9:45 pm

libbster29 wrote:
Sun Apr 10, 2022 8:57 pm
Picked up a Willys mb 327052
Not sure if this is the place to put it
Congratulations for your new acquisition!.
It would be better to create a record for your MB here: https://sn.g503.com/
Yves
serial 164794

Outlier
G-Sergeant
G-Sergeant

Post by Outlier » Fri Apr 22, 2022 11:05 am

It would be really great if we could search the database using engine number - could be useful in tracking down an original GPW motor.
As the database grows, I'd like to keep an eye out on the remote chance that mine surfaces... perhaps its already in there somewhere, but I cant figure out a way to tease it from the data. My motor was removed and replaced in 1944 with a rebuilt 1942 motor.

Dreams do come true: My original data plates found their way back to my jeep this week, after being lost 16 years ago by the "previous owner twice removed!" Who knows, maybe someday 66098 GPW will join the forum and want to reclaim his powerplant from me...

It seems there are more mismatches than matched sets, so maybe this functionality would be useful for many owners.
1943 GPW 121189
Engine #66098

Ken Creason
Master Control rep
Master Control rep

Post by Ken Creason » Sat Apr 23, 2022 7:36 am

Outlier wrote:
Fri Apr 22, 2022 11:05 am
It would be really great if we could search the database using engine number...
That will happen soon. Right now I'm finishing a modification that lets you upload pictures
for most of the places where numbers were stamped as well as the main image of the jeep
for a total of six images. More specifically the Main image, Data Plate number, Frame number,
Engine number, Hood number & Body number images.
_Ken
----------
(Insert here a seemingly endless list, broad in range and vast in scope, of very impressive accomplishments, which may or may not be true)
Your credibility is determined by the quality of advice that you give; your respectability is determined by how you give it.

hamster123
G-Corporal
G-Corporal

Post by hamster123 » Thu Jul 21, 2022 9:25 pm

Outlier wrote:
Fri Apr 22, 2022 11:05 am
It would be really great if we could search the database using engine number - could be useful in tracking down an original GPW motor.
As the database grows, I'd like to keep an eye out on the remote chance that mine surfaces... perhaps its already in there somewhere, but I cant figure out a way to tease it from the data. My motor was removed and replaced in 1944 with a rebuilt 1942 motor.

Dreams do come true: My original data plates found their way back to my jeep this week, after being lost 16 years ago by the "previous owner twice removed!" Who knows, maybe someday 66098 GPW will join the forum and want to reclaim his powerplant from me...

It seems there are more mismatches than matched sets, so maybe this functionality would be useful for many owners.
I wish I could find my data plates and the original engine both where gone when I got it.

Return to “SN.g503.com”