ford gpw 27655 18.5.1942

This forum is meant to cover General Military History, Vehicle & Unit Marking, Serial Numbering, Identification, Gee Members, Military Unit Identification, Veteran Information, Parts ID, Data Plate Marking, Passing’s, Reunions, Information Tracking & Research that otherwise might get lost in the forums meant for more specific topics.
angiolovignolo
G-Civilian

ford gpw 27655 18.5.1942

Post by angiolovignolo » Sat Aug 27, 2022 9:43 am

after many years of waiting I am trying to finish the recovery of my ford also because not long ago I found a slat grill in the Tuscan countryside near my house that for now I have put in stock. as I told you I have finished the mechanics and the bodywork is about to be painted. I don't really want to write special signs on the car with the numbers of battalions that have passed through Tuscany, also because I think that almost all those who landed in Italy have passed in front of my house. i live in the countryside, i have a farm near san gimignano. only those. no stars, no battalion writings. I would like to use the car often and I don't want to overdo it. i live in a small town. I cannot understand how the number on the hood was formed. I have read here and there on the internet but I did not understand. maybe I'm too old. can someone help me thanks

Heath MI
G-Sergeant
G-Sergeant

Re: ford gpw 27655 18.5.1942

Post by Heath MI » Fri Sep 02, 2022 10:06 am

Hello,
To summarize, the hood registration numbers were a US War Department requirement. The vehicles came from the factory with blue colored numbers, but most field units painted over them with white lettering. I asked a similar form of your question awhile back regarding what my own Jeep’s registration number would’ve been — no luck finding the answer and I’m not sure the answers exist anymore.

I’m assuming that your vehicle is an actual wartime vehicle? Personally, I think WWII Jeeps look better with the registration numbers and the unit markings. I painted mine by hand as if an Army Pvt. was just tasked to repaint the hood numbers (I.e., a situation my grandfather could’ve been in when he was in the war as a lowly Private). Of course, it’s all a matter of choice.

However, if you do put hood numbers on, I would suggest finding a copy of AR 850-5 US Military Equipment Markings, Section III, Vehicles. It talks about how it should be displayed. A better book is “US Army Vehicle Markings, 1944”, by Jean Bouchery & Philippe Charbonnier. Really good book with plenty of reference photos. The Jeep hood numbers always start with the number “20”, because they were classified as liaison and reconnaissance vehicles. The rest was the production number. Example: 20123456.

Hope that helps. I’m sure some of the other members on the forum probably have additional information that can assist you. Good luck on your vehicle.

Heath
    1942 Ford GPW
    1941 Plymouth P12 Special Deluxe
    1945 GMC CCKW 353

Return to “Unit & Vehicle Markings, General Military History, Unit-Battalion-Division Information”