Military Vehicle Stencilling

This forum is meant to cover General Military History, Vehicle & Unit Marking, Serial Numbering, Identification, Gee Members, Military Unit Identification, Veteran Information, Parts ID, Data Plate Marking, Passing’s, Reunions, Information Tracking & Research that otherwise might get lost in the forums meant for more specific topics.
Bill H.
G Moderator
G Moderator

Military Vehicle Stencilling

Post by Bill H. » Mon Jun 06, 2022 6:33 pm

For those in need of quality stencilling by a reputable long time g503 guy look no further than Scott Watson at www.militaryvehiclestencils.com
Bill H.

"Each shall seek his own kind, in other words, a bird may love a fish but where would they build a home together?" Tevye, Fiddler on the Roof

1952 Dunbar Kapple M100
1953 Willys M38A1
1962 AMC M422A1
1965 Stevens M416B1 X 2
1967 Kaiser M715

2 Timothy 3:1-5

Ken Perkins
G-Major
G-Major

Re: Military Vehicle Stencilling

Post by Ken Perkins » Thu Jun 09, 2022 6:41 am

Who ?... :D
1951 M38 #22936
1951 M100 DUNBAR
1953 M100 DUNBAR
M416B1
2- M762
MVPA #11788
MVCC

Bambooben
G-Private First Class
G-Private First Class

Post by Bambooben » Mon Oct 30, 2023 7:06 pm

I know this is an old thread, but I logged in to do a post about some stenciling, saw this thread at the top and clicked on it, and :shock: , it is a post about Scott and his company https://www.militaryvehiclestencils.com/.

Hate to say this but this post is going to sound like some late night infomercial with the amount of praise I'm about to shovel on Scott, but it is all earned. I haven't had time to do an introduction post about the truck I bought last year (1941 Dodge WC-40), but for the truck's intended purpose I needed to get some custom stencils made. I'm a Park Ranger at Fort Macon State Park, and about 2 weeks after Pearl Harbor, the 244th Coast Artillery rolled into my park to set up shore defenses to guard the port of Morehead City and the shipping lanes against German U-Boat attacks.

We have 2 original photos of the unit from their participation in the Carolina Maneuvers with their motor pool lined up with what is probably WC-1 or WC-12. With those photos you can zoom in and read a set of hood numbers and clearly see they rolled with the Coast Artillery insignia painted on their doors.

So with those details I started trying to figure out if we should try to make our own stencils or talk to a local sign shop. One of the other Rangers, who is a member of this community and is restoring his granddad's 1943 GPW, mentioned he also needed to get some stencils and I should check out Military Vehicle Stencils. I contacted Scott, who strait up said he didn't have any stencil designs for Dodges, but if I would send him some photos he would take a look. A couple of days later he gets back to me with some rough drafts that looked really close to what I was looking for. Scott had done a lot of digging and with the details he found we were able to tweak the design to something like what the majority of the examples I could find were running with. From all the research I found, especially looking for National Guard units during the Carolina and Louisiana Maneuvers, what Scott was able to produce looks to be right. Those stencils along with some early pre-war blue paint gave me the look I was going for.

I have used stencils for a lot of other projects over the years, but never on trucks, and certainly not on something I consider as precious as I do this truck. Have to say I was crazy nervous about doing this project and flubbing it. But we talked to Scott multiple times on the phone about exactly how to do the job step by step and it went really smooth. Scott had actually had to do some test runs because the door insignia required 2 colors and be done in layers. When finished I couldn't believe there was no bleed through under the stencil and everything was crisp.

In fact the biggest flub was on me, as even with Scott trying to help me find matching colors to the original Coast Artillery insignia, I ended up having to go to a local auto paint store and get some custom mixed colors. I went in, told them what I wanted, they said no problem, mixed the paint, and came back with the ticket for like $250. :o Moral of the story is ask the price before they start mixing. :oops:

Anyway, check out Scott's website and know that Scott is just as into the history and helping the general public learn about their past as all of the members here.

First up are the original photos from the park collection, followed by a photo we overlapped trying to figure out exact scale, and some final product. Sorry my baby needs a bath but work has been crazy this summer and it's getting a good rub down for the Veteran's Day Parade and our Living History Weekend the following weekend. Just wish the wind would have been helping with the flag in the background of some photos.

swatson
G-Corporal
G-Corporal

Post by swatson » Thu Nov 02, 2023 12:18 pm

Ben's truck was a great project to work on, absolute fantastic display and restoration preserving history, glad to help with it
https://www.militaryvehiclestencils.com/.

Return to “Unit & Vehicle Markings, General Military History, Unit-Battalion-Division Information”