Red Cross Flag - what size wooden dowl and how to attach?

This forum is meant to cover General Military History, Vehicle & Unit Marking, Serial Numbering, Identification, Gee Members, Military Unit Identification, Veteran Information, Parts ID, Data Plate Marking, Passing’s, Reunions, Information Tracking & Research that otherwise might get lost in the forums meant for more specific topics.
ScottCo
G-Sergeant
G-Sergeant

Red Cross Flag - what size wooden dowl and how to attach?

Post by ScottCo » Tue Apr 26, 2022 1:21 pm

Looking for a ww2 era Red Cross ambulance flag and flagstaff. Or the dimensions to repo my own staff. The staff looks to be about 45 inches in length but would like to confirm this. Also can't figure out how to attach the flag I have to a wooden staff. I bought a vietnam era flag but it simply slips over a flagstaff. Anyone know how they attached these in the 1940's. Hate to use tacks to secure an original era flag but could have a repro sewn if needed. Also, how would the flagstaff be attached to the jeep? Perhaps a pipe that you could insert the flagstaff into with thumbscrews for tightening the flagstaff inside the pipe. I suppose this would simply be a field expedient mod but if anyone has been down this road before, would appreciate your input.

On Med-dept.com found this info:

"Flag, Ambulance and Marker, Stock No. 5-F-2150:
Primarily used to distinguish Ambulances and Aid Stations protected by the Geneva Convention. The flag or marker consisted of 12-inch Red Cross centered on a White rectangular Field 18 by 27 inches. The flag (when not in use) could be covered by a case identified as:
Case, Flag, Duck, Automobile, Stock No. 5-C-50, The staff was officially designated Flagstaff, Wood, Marker and Marker Pennant, Stock No. 5-F-6590."

All comments welcome.
NOS WW2 flags 001.jpg

Return to “Unit & Vehicle Markings, General Military History, Unit-Battalion-Division Information”