Help with USAF bumper markings

This forum is meant to cover General Military History, Vehicle & Unit Marking, Serial Numbering, Identification, Gee Members, Military Unit Identification, Veteran Information, Parts ID, Data Plate Marking, Passing’s, Reunions, Information Tracking & Research that otherwise might get lost in the forums meant for more specific topics.
Kendall
Sergeant Major of the Gee
Sergeant Major of the Gee

Help with USAF bumper markings

Post by Kendall » Fri Sep 10, 2021 6:48 pm

Hi,
I have two 1952 jeeps (1 M38 and 1 M38A1) and both have ties to Air Force bases here in Kansas. One spent some time at Forbes Field in Topeka, KS and one at McConnell Air Force Base in Wichita, KS. I would like to mark these jeeps with the proper markings of the mid-1950's while at these bases but am not familiar enough with Air Force markings to know how to do it. Can someone assist me with this project?
Thanks,
Kendall

AFM38A1
G-Sergeant First Class
G-Sergeant First Class

Re: Help with USAF bumper markings

Post by AFM38A1 » Sat Dec 04, 2021 8:00 pm

In the 1950s McConnell was part of the Air Training Command.
So on the outside of the bumber (as someone looking at it from the front) it would read:

ATC MCCAFB ( on left side of bumper.) 3520CCTW (Combat Crew Training Wing)
(on right side of bumper)

----------------------

Forbes was a famous Strategic Air Command Base, home of Reconnaissance Wings

SAC FAFB 55SRW or 90SRW (Strategic Reconnaissance Wing)

Yellow Letters 1.75 inches tall.

Because of the 1952 date, their hood numbers could have been marked several ways.
You'll have to do some homework. I have seen U.S.A.F. or AF then Army hood number.

My M38A1 is a 1955 so it would be marked as:
U.S. AIR FORCE
55Kxxxx ( both in 1.75" letters)
FOR OFFICIAL USE ONLY (1" letter)

Color could have been OD, or even insignia yellow (if used on the flight line), but more likely, Strata Blue.

from personal experience in restoring mine, I've found there aren't many period color photos out there and restored examples have a range of blue shades, all purporting to be the correct "Strata Blue".

Hope this helps.
M38A1 MD 82551. Built 3/1955. Purchased in Nov. 2021.
Former owner/restorer of 1977 Jeep CJ-5 Renegade Levis Edition.
All stock w/factory V-8. Used as a daily driver for 7 years.

Return to “Unit & Vehicle Markings, General Military History, Unit-Battalion-Division Information”