Army MTOE assignments of MB/GPW’s

This forum is meant to cover General Military History, Vehicle & Unit Marking, Serial Numbering, Identification, Gee Members, Military Unit Identification, Veteran Information, Parts ID, Data Plate Marking, Passing’s, Reunions, Information Tracking & Research that otherwise might get lost in the forums meant for more specific topics.
Heath MI
G-Sergeant
G-Sergeant

Army MTOE assignments of MB/GPW’s

Post by Heath MI » Mon Apr 19, 2021 1:47 pm

Hello,
I’m looking for any information as to determining where MB/GPW’s were assigned (down to individual Army unit). I’m in the process of acquiring a “motor pool” GPW, and would like to find where this Jeep served during the war. It’s a late model, Nov. 1942, based on frame serial number (#78721). Looking for any helpful websites, books, databases, archives documents, etc.

My inquiry is twofold: would like to find the actual vehicle wartime history, and secondly, to determine a hood number for any MB/GPW that was assigned to the 70th Infantry Division, 276th Infantry Regiment, 3rd Battalion, K Company, in the ETO (my grandfather’s unit). When I start the restoration, It is my intent to include somewhat accurate hood and bumper numbers to what his unit might have had assigned (if that sort of information exists).

Thanks for any assistance on information anyone may be willing to share.

v/r,
Heath
    1942 Ford GPW
    1941 Plymouth P12 Special Deluxe
    1945 GMC CCKW 353

johnseidts
    G-Colonel
    G-Colonel

Re: Army MTOE assignments of MB/GPW’s

Post by johnseidts » Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:02 pm

Great question, and one I wish more people asked.

First, some proper nomenclature for you. MTOE is a modern term. In WWII, they were called Tables of Organization (TO's). Infantry TO's are in the 7 series. It has been a long time since I read the Infantry Company TO, but I believe it true that all jeeps were assigned at the regimental level. Also, I believe they were distributed down to company level in some divisions. I know for a fact that the 29th Infantry Division allowed its infantry companies 3 jeeps, a transportation corporal, and two drivers. My friend commanded a company in the 29th in WWII, and he had some interesting things to say about how the jeeps were used- chow, ammo, wounded, and mail, mostly. That arrangement may have been on one of the wartime TO's as organic to the company, but I haven't read enough to know for a fact if that is true.

You will probably not find the individual history of your jeep, unless you are able to unveil wartime markings in the process of removing layers of paint. I have owned or been associated with three vehicles which had their wartime service uncovered by original paint. On the one vehicle, we found direct markings of one unit and hints of another unit beneath those. But understand that this is very uncommon and rare to encounter with original vehicles. Sand very carefully with 400-600 grit or use chemical stripper carefully for best results- there are other posts here which will tell you how to do that.

As for marking your vehicle, you might want to look at old photos from the 70th ID to get ideas about how to paint/mark your vehicle. If you have no luck there, you can use the WWII manual which describes how to properly mark a vehicle.

Good luck with your search, and keep us posted if you have time. What people find is always interesting.
    John K. Seidts RN:
    Wanted to Buy any aircraft parts or aviation items
    Wanted- WWII US Medical and Engineer Items

Heath MI
    G-Sergeant
    G-Sergeant

Post by Heath MI » Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:17 am

Thanks for the reply. I realized the MTOE reference was a modern take from my own military experiences. I was wondering if anyone would notice?

I will try the sanding technique and see what I can find. I have some photos from the 70th ID but nothing from my grandfather’s company. I did find one photo from a sister company that may work. I did find the company’s radio call sign from early 1945, so I will likely incorporate that into the “informal” markings along the base of the windshield. I just ordered a vehicle markings book this week so that should help with the placement (plus original WWII era manuals like those you mentioned). Simply put, the Army has a manual for doing just about everything it seems.

I also have a researcher point of contact at the archives that I will inquire with about TOE for the unit, but I am unclear if they kept those types of records or not. I’ve heard stories of veterans being able to track down their former rifle serial numbers. Thanks again for the reply and I will post any updates as things progress.
      1942 Ford GPW
      1941 Plymouth P12 Special Deluxe
      1945 GMC CCKW 353

dpcd67
      G-General
      G-General

Post by dpcd67 » Sat May 01, 2021 5:32 pm

Everyone wants to find the history of their jeep; 99.9 % never get it; why? After WW2 we brought almost no jeeps back; didn't need them. So, by far most jeeps in the US were used in training units or for admin purposes. Good luck.
      There is no data base of records like you seek; I worked for TACOM and tried to find one; it does not exist.
      U. S. Army 28 years.
      Armor Branch

Return to “Unit & Vehicle Markings, General Military History, Unit-Battalion-Division Information”