Vehicle Unit Markings - Order of Battle

This forum is meant to cover General Military History, Vehicle & Unit Marking, Serial Numbering, Identification, Gee Members, Military Unit Identification, Veteran Information, Parts ID, Data Plate Marking, Passing’s, Reunions, Information Tracking & Research that otherwise might get lost in the forums meant for more specific topics.
John Neuenburg
Gee Old Hand

Vehicle Unit Markings - Order of Battle

Post by John Neuenburg » Fri Nov 27, 2020 9:47 am

I have the big book "Order of Battle - US Army WWII" which gives great details of which units were in which units plus a short history of the unit during the war. If anybody is choosing markings for vehicles or just wants to know things like what regiments were in what divisions, what overseas assignments the division was in (Corps, etc.), in some cases the typical makeup of the unit in 1944 versus 1941, what was the number of the medical battalion in the 32nd Infantry Division in 1944, what campaigns the unit was credited for, and in many cases what the distinctive insignia was for the unit, just ask.
Military Vehicle Collectors of California
MVPA 7404
1942 Ford GPW British Special Air Service Regiment Replica
1944 Willys MB
1941 Indian 640
BSA Folding Bicycles
M1942 Command Post Tent

Frankie
G-Second Lieutenant
G-Second Lieutenant

Re: Vehicle Unit Markings - Order of Battle

Post by Frankie » Tue Dec 01, 2020 4:27 pm

OK. My father was in the 733d Engineer Depot Co during WW2. I have been unable to determine what their next higher HQ was, however the unit wore the ETOUSA SSI, so presumably they were subordinate to ETOUSA? The 733d was in the Oise sector in France. I would like to determine what bumper markings they would have used. I have two Jeep pictures from the 733d in France but they have no bumper markings at all. I have a pic of men of the 733d that clearly shows the word “DEPOT” on a large crane but nothing else. There is almost no info about the 733d on the net. Any idea whether any depot companies (there were many) would have used ETOUSA with the company designation?

Frankie
G-Second Lieutenant
G-Second Lieutenant

Post by Frankie » Tue Dec 21, 2021 5:59 am

OK, so I am going to use ETOUSA/733E on the rear left and DP/1 on the rear right. And I’ll have the same in proper format on the front

Tuareg
G-Captain
G-Captain

Post by Tuareg » Sun Feb 20, 2022 1:38 am

John Neuenburg wrote:
Fri Nov 27, 2020 9:47 am
I have the big book "Order of Battle - US Army WWII" which gives great details of which units were in which units plus a short history of the unit during the war. If anybody is choosing markings for vehicles or just wants to know things like what regiments were in what divisions, what overseas assignments the division was in (Corps, etc.), in some cases the typical makeup of the unit in 1944 versus 1941, what was the number of the medical battalion in the 32nd Infantry Division in 1944, what campaigns the unit was credited for, and in many cases what the distinctive insignia was for the unit, just ask.

Hello, i am looking information about the 1st Armored division, from 1st November 1942 to 15th November 1943, including order of battle, and if it is possible names of the casualties in that period.

I looked here: https://history.army.mil/documents/eto-ob/ETOOB-TOC.htm but just 1st armored division is not there... :shock:

Thanks
Willys MB
DOD 27 july 1942
TUB 63439
CHASIS MB161718
Estimated Hood number very high 20214xxx to very low 20215xxx
Probably 1st Armored Division, Operation Torch, still doing research.
Probably Diplomatic number plate by French Government in Morocco. Still doing research. Any information is welcome!

Return to “Unit & Vehicle Markings, General Military History, Unit-Battalion-Division Information”