Book on vehicles markings in 1944

This forum is meant to cover General Military History, Vehicle & Unit Marking, Serial Numbering, Identification, Gee Members, Military Unit Identification, Veteran Information, Parts ID, Data Plate Marking, Passing’s, Reunions, Information Tracking & Research that otherwise might get lost in the forums meant for more specific topics.
Av8er
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major

Book on vehicles markings in 1944

Post by Av8er » Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:44 pm

This is a repost from a different thread.

There have been frequent discussions on vehicle markings on this forum. I recently found this new resource on vehicle markings in 1944 and am not aware if it was previously posted on the forum as being available. The book goes into great details on markings for different units to include; Infantry, Airborne, Armor, USAAF. It also includes TOE (Table of Organization and Equipment) which shows the actual vehicle allotment for different units and discusses the individual vehicle types. For all the Airborne enthusiasts you may want to note that a Parachute Infantry Regiment was only allotted 15 Jeeps for the entire Regiment with the majority of them assigned to it’s Service Company (likely at least 10 of the 15, as they were also issued 10 trailers). So, there were no Jeeps available to be allotted or assigned below the Battalion level to individual Companys. One thing that was not noted in the book was that Parachute Infantry tended to replace the “- I” bumper marking for Infantry with “PI” for Parachute Infantry. The book does not address this probably because it was not authorized by the regulations. Anyway, the book is a excellent resource for restorers and is available on Kindle.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07S83H8R6/re ... TF8&btkr=1
1943 Ford GPW #113639 USA-20385133
1943 RIA M3A4 Hand Cart

ghiltgen
Sergeant Major of the Gee
Sergeant Major of the Gee

Re: Book on vehicles markings in 1944

Post by ghiltgen » Fri Aug 27, 2021 11:43 am

That is an excellent reference! I learned alot about how the 1st infantry Division marked their vehicles for the DDay invasion and I feel my Jeep is now historically accurate.
ghiltgen
1943 MB SN 226406
Veteran Award, Motorpool Class 2021
GPW 127386
1948 CJ2A
MVPA member 36543

Return to “Unit & Vehicle Markings, General Military History, Unit-Battalion-Division Information”