Korean War era markings on a Welder Trailer

This forum is meant to cover General Military History, Vehicle & Unit Marking, Serial Numbering, Identification, Gee Members, Military Unit Identification, Veteran Information, Parts ID, Data Plate Marking, Passing’s, Reunions, Information Tracking & Research that otherwise might get lost in the forums meant for more specific topics.
Rustman
G-Lieutenant Colonel
G-Lieutenant Colonel

Korean War era markings on a Welder Trailer

Post by Rustman » Sun May 28, 2023 4:38 pm

While working on my Corps of Engineers trailer for the 300 amp welding machine I managed to uncover some markings on the rear bumper. In the area between the tail lamps, this area in other pictures of these trailers has either been blank or had the vehicle number painted there. With the Unit markings being outboard of the tail lamps on the outer edges of the bumper. But these markings bear no resemblance to either a vehicle number or unit markings that I've been able to sort out.

The bumper as a whole, the markings were found in the center section:
IMG_5209.jpeg
The markings found. 2" tall letters, numbers, a slash and a possible dash as well:
IMG_5220.jpeg
The markings as I read them. R-190 / - B The slash was very faint but visible to both myself and my wife. The B I know seems questionable now but that's because I over sanded. The R is about 5" from the left tail lamp, the B about 4" from the right tail lamp, No indication of any other markings besides these.
IMG_5220 (1).jpeg
Does anybody have any ideas? I'm completely stumped.

Matt

P.S. Trailer thread here: viewtopic.php?f=28&p=1946999#p1946999
1970 Kaiser Jeep DJ-5A Left Hand Drive
1945 Corps of Engineers Welder & Trailer
1943 G518 "Ben Hur" Trailer Steel Body
194* G518 "Ben Hur" Trailer Composite Body
http://g518parts.com/

Rustman
G-Lieutenant Colonel
G-Lieutenant Colonel

Re: Korean War era markings on a Welder Trailer

Post by Rustman » Mon Apr 08, 2024 11:35 am

999 views and no idea from anyone yet. But no idea from me either. I'm still at a loss.

Matt
1970 Kaiser Jeep DJ-5A Left Hand Drive
1945 Corps of Engineers Welder & Trailer
1943 G518 "Ben Hur" Trailer Steel Body
194* G518 "Ben Hur" Trailer Composite Body
http://g518parts.com/

Return to “Unit & Vehicle Markings, General Military History, Unit-Battalion-Division Information”