Armored vehicle markings when changing units - assignments out of the armored divisions

This forum is meant to cover General Military History, Vehicle & Unit Marking, Serial Numbering, Identification, Gee Members, Military Unit Identification, Veteran Information, Parts ID, Data Plate Marking, Passing’s, Reunions, Information Tracking & Research that otherwise might get lost in the forums meant for more specific topics.
DDTrustee
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Armored vehicle markings when changing units - assignments out of the armored divisions

Post by DDTrustee » Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:34 pm

A. If an Armor Battalion was assigned to the 101st Airborne Division what would be the Command symbol on the hull? E.g. normally a tank or tank destroyer would have the armored ‘triangle’ and the number….. Would it change if the assignment was from an Armor Division or would the earlier Armor Division symbol stay?
Example:
1. If the 833TD Battalion was in the 11th Armored Division it would have the 11th Armored Division triangle on the hull

2. If it transferred to the 101st airborne Div. while in the 11th Armored Div. would the triangle symbol change? Be removed? Would the 101st AB Div. symbol be painted where the triangle symbol was?

B. If an armored unit was assigned to Combat Command B (CCB) would the CCB symbol (or something designating CCB) appear in place of the triangle?
reenacting and WWII history

lehotskyt
G-Sergeant
G-Sergeant

Re: Armored vehicle markings when changing units - assignments out of the armored divisions

Post by lehotskyt » Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:24 pm

For World War II:
A. Independent Armored Battalions were not assigned to Infantry Divisions. They were temporarily (for varying lengths) attached to Infantry units, as opposed to units who received permanent attachment status such as the 501st/506th. This means that while they were serving under the Infantry Division/Regiment/Battalion's command, any and all vehicles would remain marked to the Armored Battalion as the vehicles remained their parent organization's property. In the Armored Division, the units would be marked for the Division/Battalion and attached as mission dictated. The modern difference would be "assigned vs OPCON'd).

So for your examples:
1) 833TD BN was not active in WW2, let alone attached to the 11th AD [https://web.archive.org/web/20201107003 ... AD-ETO.htm] but for TD Battalions, it appears that the Battalions retained independent markings (utilizing their Army as the parent organization rather than the Division) through the end of the war with minor variations depending on which TD Battalion it is.

2. The markings would not change.

B. For the Combat Commands, markings would not be applied as the Task Organization of the Commands changed frequently and units were moved between them quite often. The vehicle would retain DIV/BN markings.

DDTrustee
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Re: Armored vehicle markings when changing units - assignments out of the armored divisions

Post by DDTrustee » Tue Nov 24, 2020 12:57 pm

The 833rd I used was a phony/made-up example -just to ask the question!!!! No intended to even imply there was a 833rd TD
I'm actually remarking my M18 to the go back to the original markings: 705th TD (company B) which was part of the 5th Armored Division in England and where Company B fought with the 101st regiments; (one M18 going to the 501st Parachute Infantry, two going to the 506th Parachute Infantry, two going to the 502nd Parachute Infantry and four to the 327th Glider Infantry in Bastogne during the Battle of the Bulge. The battalion was (1945) transferred to the 11th Armored Division from the 5th. They had various attachments from June, 1944 through spring of 1945 and that is why I asked the questions!!!!!
I mistakenly used the wrong vehicle serial number in the registration number sequence and am remarking the hull ending in -899 which is correct for Hellcat serial no. 2023. When I ordered the paint masks from Larsen I reversed the last two serial number digits and came up with ---908 for serial no. 2032 - WRONG! My memory on the phone call to Larsen I as trying to recall the serial no. from memory and came up with serial no. 2032, when in fact it was 2023.
reenacting and WWII history

Return to “Unit & Vehicle Markings, General Military History, Unit-Battalion-Division Information”