1967 USMC Burnt MUTT

1959 - 1978, M151, M151A1, M151A2 jeeps, NO EBAY or COMMERCIAL SALES.
Star Electric Ordnance
G-Second Lieutenant
G-Second Lieutenant

1967 USMC Burnt MUTT

Post by Star Electric Ordnance » Sun Aug 16, 2020 10:12 pm

First the tale and then the details. My MUTT was damaged during the MVPA Transcontinental Motor Convoy of 1919 recreation. We started from the MVPA Convention on 10 Aug 19 and traveled from York, PA to San Francisco in 36 days along the same route that the Army Convoy did in 1919. Along the way, on Day 5, my MUTT was damaged when hit from behind, by another M-151, and then propelled into the M-100 trailer in front of me. A replacement radiator and fan got me back on the road. The M-416 trailer I was pulling bent my pintle hook straight down pointing to the ground. That to was also straightened. I completed the trip and trailered the combo home to Kentucky. It was found that the rear of my MUTT was bent up about 3 inches. I decided not to try and straighten it and once the insurance company settled with me it was already Feb 2020.

I decided to look for an M-151A1 as a replacement, but with taking most all of the parts from my damaged MUTT as they were all NOS when I started the project 4400 miles earlier. It took six months but I bought two M-151A1's in CA and NV. The NV MUTT did not have an engine or transmission, so that was ideal for me. It also had a very straight and undamaged body with little rust. The CA MUTT had been caught in the Northern CA wildfires last year and burnt up. It was in the process of being restored and has a lot of NOS parts that were not damaged which was the reason I bought it. They both arrive last month by commercial carrier.

So now the details. I have included two pictures to see what it looks like. It has a different windshield and the gas tank was elsewhere and I have set it back in the vehicle. It also has another set of tires and wheels on it. It has a complete drive train. During the fire, the springs lost their temper which is why it looks like a low-rider. The radiator had antifreeze in it and did not suffer any heat damage along with the radiator hoses. I added a little water to it and the level has remained the same for three weeks. The engine is full of oil. I have read and talked to fellow collectors and some restorers about working with the metal of this MUTT having been torched in the guys driveway. I have heard Pro and Con on this. All I have to say is "It is what it is!" I have 40 other pictures of it which I can transfer, by email, if interested. I use a site called wetransfer and can send up to 2GB's of photos at no charge to you or me. Use my email address below.

I have stripped the NV MUTT in preparation for bead blasting. Everything I took off of it goes with the sale of the burnt MUTT. That is the seats, W/S, hood, wiring harness, front and rear suspension system and an intact exhaust systems, four tires and wheels and instrument panel. I have an A2 takeout power plant minus the radiator and alternator. It turns over with a 1/2 ratchet and socket and is full of oil. I pulled the valve train cover and it looks pretty clean. The distributor has the early electronic ignition and looks very new. All this is included in the sale. I have engine pictures also to bundle with the CA MUTT. Asking price is $2450 and comes with a notarized Bill of Sale for the MUTT and the NV parts. Kevin.
Attachments
MUTT Resize 2.JPG
MUTT Resize 1.JPG
Kevin B. Emdee
Star Electric Ordnance (M-series electric parts)
368 Big Oak Trail
Radcliff, KY 40160
1-270-877-0813 (Fax-5042)
Kevin.Emdee@comcast.net
MVPA #530
U.S. Army (retired)
1944 WC-56/1969 M-274A5/1968 M35A2/1968 M-543A2/1961 M-151/1967 M-151A1

acudanut
USMC GUNNY

Re: 1967 USMC Burnt MUTT

Post by acudanut » Mon Aug 17, 2020 1:08 pm

Star Electric Ordnance wrote:
Sun Aug 16, 2020 10:12 pm
First the tale and then the details. My MUTT was damaged during the MVPA Transcontinental Motor Convoy of 1919 recreation. We started from the MVPA Convention on 10 Aug 19 and traveled from York, PA to San Francisco in 36 days along the same route that the Army Convoy did in 1919. Along the way, on Day 5, my MUTT was damaged when hit from behind, by another M-151, and then propelled into the M-100 trailer in front of me. A replacement radiator and fan got me back on the road. The M-416 trailer I was pulling bent my pintle hook straight down pointing to the ground. That to was also straightened. I completed the trip and trailered the combo home to Kentucky. It was found that the rear of my MUTT was bent up about 3 inches. I decided not to try and straighten it and once the insurance company settled with me it was already Feb 2020.

I decided to look for an M-151A1 as a replacement, but with taking most all of the parts from my damaged MUTT as they were all NOS when I started the project 4400 miles earlier. It took six months but I bought two M-151A1's in CA and NV. The NV MUTT did not have an engine or transmission, so that was ideal for me. It also had a very straight and undamaged body with little rust. The CA MUTT had been caught in the Northern CA wildfires last year and burnt up. It was in the process of being restored and has a lot of NOS parts that were not damaged which was the reason I bought it. They both arrive last month by commercial carrier.

So now the details. I have included two pictures to see what it looks like. It has a different windshield and the gas tank was elsewhere and I have set it back in the vehicle. It also has another set of tires and wheels on it. It has a complete drive train. During the fire, the springs lost their temper which is why it looks like a low-rider. The radiator had antifreeze in it and did not suffer any heat damage along with the radiator hoses. I added a little water to it and the level has remained the same for three weeks. The engine is full of oil. I have read and talked to fellow collectors and some restorers about working with the metal of this MUTT having been torched in the guys driveway. I have heard Pro and Con on this. All I have to say is "It is what it is!" I have 40 other pictures of it which I can transfer, by email, if interested. I use a site called wetransfer and can send up to 2GB's of photos at no charge to you or me. Use my email address below.

I have stripped the NV MUTT in preparation for bead blasting. Everything I took off of it goes with the sale of the burnt MUTT. That is the seats, W/S, hood, wiring harness, front and rear suspension system and an intact exhaust systems, four tires and wheels and instrument panel. I have an A2 takeout power plant minus the radiator and alternator. It turns over with a 1/2 ratchet and socket and is full of oil. I pulled the valve train cover and it looks pretty clean. The distributor has the early electronic ignition and looks very new. All this is included in the sale. I have engine pictures also to bundle with the CA MUTT. Asking price is $2450 and comes with a notarized Bill of Sale for the MUTT and the NV parts. Kevin.
Fair Deal, but imo it's not a USMC mutt.

Star Electric Ordnance
G-Second Lieutenant
G-Second Lieutenant

Post by Star Electric Ordnance » Mon Aug 17, 2020 4:38 pm

Well, I just know what is on the data plate. The contract number to correct except for the addition of three more letters in parenthesis. Perhaps the MUTT Guru can shed some light on this. Kevin,
Attachments
Burnt MUTT 4.jpg
20200817_193719_HDR.jpg
Kevin B. Emdee
368 Big Oak Trail
Radcliff, KY 40160
Kevin.Emdee@comcast.net
MVPA #530
U.S. Army (retired)

Zane Gross
G-Second Lieutenant
G-Second Lieutenant

Post by Zane Gross » Thu Aug 20, 2020 5:40 pm

Looks like a usmc m151a1 to me, dads got a 69 model a1 usmc. You can see the bolt holes on the rear corner where the usmc lifting brace and shackle was at, the front bumper being army is irrelevant as that can be swapped out in 20 minutes time.
AKA : " The Jeep Czar"

43' Ford Gpw
45' willys MB (currently under restoration)
51' M38 , m100 trailer
53' M38A1
62' M38A1
61' M151 , m416 trailer
84' m1009 blazer
53' m43
53' Dodge M37
48' Cj2A
51' Cj3A
54' Cj3B, 60' cj3b
62' M170

Zane Gross
G-Second Lieutenant
G-Second Lieutenant

Post by Zane Gross » Thu Aug 20, 2020 5:43 pm

Unless thats where the corner mount antenna bracket was bolted, id have to compare the bolt pattern to be sure.
AKA : " The Jeep Czar"

43' Ford Gpw
45' willys MB (currently under restoration)
51' M38 , m100 trailer
53' M38A1
62' M38A1
61' M151 , m416 trailer
84' m1009 blazer
53' m43
53' Dodge M37
48' Cj2A
51' Cj3A
54' Cj3B, 60' cj3b
62' M170

markrdje
USMC Sergeant
USMC Sergeant

Post by markrdje » Thu Aug 20, 2020 6:46 pm

I had a corner mount ant on my 151, there were special Army bolts fastening it to the mutt , not many left as someone would steal them when I left it outside with no fire watch.Never knew it till I was inspecting it 1 day. Live and learn, this country is full of thieves, along with the vandalism, lack of quality values.
change user name to mark

acudanut
USMC GUNNY

Post by acudanut » Sun Aug 23, 2020 7:36 am

Star Electric Ordnance wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 4:38 pm
Well, I just know what is on the data plate. The contract number to correct except for the addition of three more letters in parenthesis. Perhaps the MUTT Guru can shed some light on this. Kevin,
That Tag looks like a very old/ or burned fake/Bogus tag. No Tag on the dash EVER was stamped USMC, USAF, U.S. Army ect.
If I am wrong I owe you a 30 pack. If I am right you owe me a 30 pack. Cheers
I might add, that 75 percent of our fleet Came from the Army, after they got the new stuff first.
Did you Know the Marines first beach landing in Guadalcanal We had 1903 bolt action rifles and WWI Helmets ?

muttguru
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by muttguru » Sun Aug 23, 2020 12:06 pm

acudanut wrote:
Sun Aug 23, 2020 7:36 am
That Tag looks like a very old/ or burned fake/Bogus tag. No Tag on the dash EVER was stamped USMC, USAF, U.S. Army ect.
Michael and Kevin......

I have photos of several dash dataplates which are genuine plates and have the letters USMC stamped on those plates. I also have pictures of dash dataplates stamped with USAF.... in fact, my first mutt was USAF 66K 372.

I have seen one or two US Army dash dataplates which have had the US Army hood number overstamped with a USMC serial number.....but only a few.
When folks say that the USMC got all the US Army hand-me-downs....I must admit that when it came to the M151A1 and the A2...... I have doubts about whether the hand-me-down theory is correct.

When we look at the contracting for purchase of M151A1s and A2s....... the Army Material Command in the shape of TACOM had the biggest requirement for these trucks and as a result, TACOM took the lead in placing the contract. The USMC and the USAF stated their requirements along with the Army and the manufacturer was then asked to produce a grand total consisting of all the Services’ requirements.

So there was technically a sort-of hand-me-down....but it was more of a distribution from the TACOM contract to the other parties involved.

When the later M151A2 contracts were put together, two of those contracts specified "Direct Delivery"…(the 1979 contract – mainly to the USMC and USAF-SOG and the 1976 contract - mainly overseas sales with a smaller batch for Army). The direct delivery, following a direct purchase, by the USMC was one of the reasons the USMC allowed the Barstow mutts to be released without being demilled….although with restrictions on their usage.

If former US Army vehicles had been handed over by batch, then there would or should have been lots of over-stamped Army dataplates still in existence….there aren’t. If the USMC had issued new plates for their “hand-me-downs”, those plates would have been newer and probably would not be stamped in the same style and format as the Army dataplates they replaced. I’ve seen no conclusive record of the existence of USMC replacement dataplates.

My view is that the few “overstamped” US Army dataplates were probably official transfers of vehicles no longer required by the Army but probably urgently needed by the USMC to replace a lost vehicle (lost = damaged beyond repair). Such action would also have provided a history trail for anyone doubtful as to how the USMC had “acquired” a US Army vehicle.

The short version? The USMC and the USAF both featured their acronyms on their dash dataplates. I could of course be wrong !

Ken
Contact address - muttguru@aol.com
Always wanted - Details and pictures of M416 Trailer data plates & M151 data plates & body-tags for my research. Thanks!

acudanut
USMC GUNNY

Post by acudanut » Sat Aug 29, 2020 6:44 am

Sir Guru, You may be correct, however I never saw any. Most of our Mutts in the 80's were in fact X-Army. No USMC hubs. Same goes for our M-60 tanks.

Star Electric Ordnance
G-Second Lieutenant
G-Second Lieutenant

Post by Star Electric Ordnance » Thu Oct 08, 2020 9:27 pm

Price Drop just in time for Thanksgiving. Don't know what that means but it sounded good! $1995. Kevin.
Kevin B. Emdee
368 Big Oak Trail
Radcliff, KY 40160
Kevin.Emdee@comcast.net
MVPA #530
U.S. Army (retired)

markrdje
USMC Sergeant
USMC Sergeant

Post by markrdje » Fri Oct 09, 2020 7:38 am

On my 151, Ford is on the data plate, on the 151A2 it reads AMG.
change user name to mark

Return to “M151's For Sale”