M151A2 Uncut Titled Project FS

1959 - 1978, M151, M151A1, M151A2 jeeps, NO EBAY or COMMERCIAL SALES.
Scott Hubbard
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

M151A2 Uncut Titled Project FS

Post by Scott Hubbard » Fri Jul 15, 2016 11:43 am

I’m ready to let go of my M151A2 project.
No photos yet; sorry. Eventually. In the meantime, here’s the summary.

I bought this jeep in 2004 from a farmer in Oklahoma. It ran – roughly. I drove it far enough to verify things worked and then up on a trailer. I then brought it home, started disassembling it. Every bolt and bit.

The body had a ROPS kit on it. That was removed and discarded. That left lots of bodywork and holes to repair. I found a local guy with a metal shop and auto body repair business and let him go after it. After several months of a few hours each week working on it, it looked pretty good.

But there are issues. The main one is - despite my explicit instructions - the floor panel he welded into the driver’s side under the seat was done incorrectly. The fuel tank doesn’t fit by ~1/2” or so. I had left the tank with him, told him to test fit before welding. He didn’t. His solution? Pound on the bottom of the fuel tank until it fit.

It just so happened that day as I drove up he was outside of the back of his shop smoking a joint. So….I picked up the jeep the next day and cut ties.

I have the damaged tank and an excellent used undamaged tank I bought after assessing his handiwork. If I were to keep the jeep and do it right I would cut the floor in an ‘I’ pattern, drop the panels a bit, then weld in a few narrow pieces, but I have no such skills or ambition at this point.

That’s the worst of it. Most irritating to me even a dozen years later.

The front crossmember is solid.

The body is unquestionably uncut – never torched in any way.

As the story goes from the farmer, his Uncle was in the service, artillery. Fort Sill I think. Two jeeps were repatriated from overseas and sent to the artillery range as targets. In theory, they could be surplused as scrap after some period of time on the range. That’s exactly what happened. And the farmer’s uncle eventually ended up with both jeeps, intact – because oddly, they ended up untouched in a corner of the range where nobody knew they were there, at least nobody with an artillery piece.
Hearsay, but I think it true. Your tax dollars at work. Supposedly when they arrived at the base the jeeps had a few full auto AK’s tucked into various places but again that’s just what I was told.

Anyway, that’s how this jeep ended up in Texas with me.

It has a valid Texas Title. This is huge and was a pain to get and we can chat about this if you care. I think it was last current in 2008 and I let the registration lapse at that point since there’s no utility in paying annual fees for a pile of parts. But it does have a Texas title and therefore is a rare M151A2 that is street legal.

I did not rebuild the engine or transmission but I have some spares parts to do that, although I don’t think I have rings or valves.

In any case, a dozen years ago I went on a parts gathering spree and ended up finding NOS seats, hood, windshield, grille, heater, lamps / light assemblies, electrical parts and fittings, brake shoes / lines etc. I have a NOS Zenith carb and I think a couple of rebuildable carbs (Zeniths if I recall). I bought two later (quieter) differentials.

Rebushed the control arms. Correct steering wheel; might be NOS or nearly so.

I think I have a spare NOS head; I need to look. I have 4 (maybe all five) NOS wheels. I mounted new rubber on them in ~2006 and I would say probably that rubber is dry rotted and no good now. I think I have a gas can, correct and either NOS or close. Ditto the axe and shovel.

Bottom line is I gathered up every major and minor part needed to rebuild this jeep. Somewhere I have a spreadsheet.

I have the canvas (seats, top) but it may or may not be any good. I need to look but it was either Weebee or Beechwood, newly made at purchase in roughly 2006. It has been in boxes in a storage shed for a decade now. And I hasten to add I found two desiccated possum in there a couple years ago so there’s just no telling what might have once lived in the box of canvas. Maybe perfect, maybe worthless. The buyer and I will have to allow for the good and bad scenarios here.

The unibody is on a cheaply built rotisserie but is off the concrete and primed well. It’s in great shape exception being the floor as discussed.

As I see it, the buyer needs to do some work there and it’s then paint and assembly. As stated, the engine and tranny are untouched and probably need to be rebuilt (at least I would).

[url=http://s214.photobucket.com/user/R_S_Hu ... g.jpg.html]Image[/url

I have I think a complete set of manuals that will go with it. Seems like about 15 pounds of binders.

Winter is coming, and here is your project: a street-legal, titled 1973 M151A2.
I am happy to answer questions, especially if I don’t have to go dig out boxes and tell you serial numbers on carburetors, etc. etc. Those kinds of questions might be a bit much unless it’s “I’ll take it pending this short list of really important things I need to know”. I’m great with that.

$10K and 77345 is where I’m at.
Scott in TEXAS
Former caretaker of a 1942 GPW
Currently own a 37mm M3 AT Gun - live
1973 M151A2 - someday I'll get to this

Rickf
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Re: M151A2 Uncut Titled Project FS

Post by Rickf » Fri Jul 15, 2016 2:09 pm

Now THAT is how to list a vehicle for sale! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
1964 M151A1