Is there a Bubba option for the air cleaner?

M274 Mechanical Mule Knowledge Base
Kaiser Krazy
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major

Is there a Bubba option for the air cleaner?

Post by Kaiser Krazy » Thu Sep 01, 2022 10:59 am

Got an A5 and the canister is missing. Got all the rest direct to the carb. I believe the opening at the top of the canister is 2 3/8". Canisters are rare and pricey and will be on the Xmas list, but want to connect something to keep carb clean in the meantime. Are there some options to install something to that upper canister opening such as a hot rod or motorcycle air cleaner assembly that someone has used? If nothing else, I have a couple of the mushroom caps with the screen in it from various military air cleaners that I could stuff with nylon mesh to keep the big stuff out. And still look somewhat military from the rear.

Chuck W.
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General
Re: Is there a Bubba option for the air cleaner?

Post by Chuck W. » Thu Sep 01, 2022 4:26 pm

I am not aware of anything that will work. I have seen a few crazy things used as air cleaners. Perhaps something like this from a small garden tractor could be made to fit? https://www.amazon.com/G042545-Donaldso ... 6045&psc=1
Original ones are extremely hard to find, I assume you have checked with the usual suppliers? I don't know if John Emery found any in the parts that he recently purchased from the Charles Witt estate, but would be worth a call.

bms07
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major

Post by bms07 » Sat Sep 03, 2022 1:50 pm

John Emery has a bunch of tops. But he's getting low on bottoms.
Looking for halftrack to restore
Looking for mule to restore
M274A5 with 106 mm recoilless rifle
M274
LOOKING FOR 4 CYLINDER MULES AND PARTS

Auto Shop teacher
G-Lieutenant Colonel
G-Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Auto Shop teacher » Sat Feb 11, 2023 6:47 am

A couple of years ago John Emery and I bought almost all of the Eastern Surplus (Dave Kellone) supply of air cleaner assemblies. Between the two us we snagged something like 30 or them. I sold almost all of my air cleaners to John as that was the purpose of me getting them. I know the ones I sent him were in pretty good shape and just required welding on new mounting brackets and a paint job to look like new. You might give John a call and see if he has some as he was sitting on a bunch of them.

Return to “MULE M274 Technical”