Swedens only Mule?

M274 Mechanical Mule Knowledge Base
jeep_tom
G-Staff Sergeant
G-Staff Sergeant

Swedens only Mule?

Post by jeep_tom » Wed Aug 31, 2022 7:34 am

I recently bought my first Mule

This also seems to be the only one in Sweden.

Previous owner (sadla passed away) imported it from UK. But I do not know much about it, or know much about mules in generall more than that I wanted one for 14 years :P

I got to pay about 7500 US Dollars for it. It included one extra engine in unknown conditon, additinal new fuel pump, 1 new extra tire, extra new clutch plates, 1 extra seat kit (used). and a box of misc small parts. I belive myself it was quite an okay deal. But on the other hand not many to chose from unless I would import another one :lol:

There are some oil leaking from inside all 4 wheels, as well as som leaks from engine and transmission. Will have to loook at that in the future. The mule is (retrofitted?) with electric starter and alternator.

I am open years to hear what you all can tell me about it. It has a ned data plate, M274A5. But I belive it is wrong as it is a 4-wheel steer mule with the hercules 2-cyl engine.

Can anyone help me out how it looks is a mule is fitted with a pedestal mount? has anyone good pics how the pedestal is mounted onto the mule?

Thanks, Tom :)

My vehicles at: www.garaget.org/jeep_tom

YLG80
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Re: Swedens only Mule?

Post by YLG80 » Wed Aug 31, 2022 9:44 am

Waaah, nice photos!
Congratulations for that acquisition and good luck for research.
Yves
Ford GPW 1943 - Louisville - DoD 12-7-43
serial 164794

Chuck W.
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Chuck W. » Wed Aug 31, 2022 2:16 pm

Nice mule! Without more photos and information, it will be hard to tell what you have. First, does it have an aluminum or magnesium deck?
It could be an M274A5 that has been converted to 4-wheel steer, it has an A5 engine guard on it, or it could be an M274A2 with an A5 engine guard on it, both use the AO-42 2-cylinder engines.

Mules didn't normally use a pedestal mount, but you can mount one to a modified 106mm mount. I think John Emery has the complete reproduction under-bed mount but they are expensive. Here's a photo of someone's home made mount, you can see how it connects to the two frame tubes: Image

Be sure to visit Mike White's mule page, all the manuals are available for free download: https://whiteworks.us/TheMule/

ltsimp
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major

Post by ltsimp » Thu Sep 01, 2022 3:22 am

Congratulations on obtains your Mule. It looks to be in great condition. Enjoy!

Miltrans
G-Private
G-Private

Post by Miltrans » Thu Feb 29, 2024 8:07 am

Hej Tom.
Håber du stadig har din Mule. Hvad om du kom til Danmark med din Mule til Græsted veteran træf i Pinsen eller til Military Days i September på Panzermuseum East i 4200 Slagelse.
Jeg har 2 Mule som jeg tager med til træf
Se mere på www.panzermuseumeast.dk
Fang mig på PM eller på min mail miltrans@msn.com
Miltrans.
Translated from the above.
Hope you still have your Mule. What if you came to Denmark with your Mule for the Græsted veteran meeting or for Military Days in September at Panzermuseum East in 4200 Slagelse.
I have 2 Mules that I bring to the meet
See more at www.panzermuseumeast.dk
Catch me on PM or on my email miltrans@msn.com

Return to “MULE M274 Technical”