Correct Gear Oil Quantity for Drop Axles

M274 Mechanical Mule Knowledge Base
RBW
G-Staff Sergeant
G-Staff Sergeant

Correct Gear Oil Quantity for Drop Axles

Post by RBW » Mon Jul 18, 2022 10:22 am

While chasing hub leaks, I have continued to wonder about the correct gear oil quantity for the drop axle housings. The Lubrication Order says "12 oz each side," which doesn't make any sense at all. When filing a dry drop axle housing through the horizontal 1/2" pipe plug, I find it takes 2.5 - 3 oz, so maybe 12 oz total for all four drop housings.

Aside from that, 6 oz for the front axle and 2 qt for the transmission seems to make sense. If I put any more oil in the drop axles, it seems to weep from the inboard dust boot seal.

Chuck W.
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General
Re: Correct Gear Oil Quantity for Drop Axles

Post by Chuck W. » Tue Jul 19, 2022 8:40 am

the 12 oz is suspect. I just fill it until oil starts running back out of the hole, does not take much, you are right, just a couple of ozs. If you are installing new boots, you will need to check the oil level often since the oil will migrate into the boots.
If I put any more oil in the drop axles, it seems to weep from the inboard dust boot seal.
The inner retainer wire for the boot may be loose or broken. It's hard to get a completely "dry" mule, I've tried!
In my opinion, if it's not leaking, you better check and make sure it's not empty :D

GUNNUT in Iowa
Sergeant Major of the Gee
Sergeant Major of the Gee

Post by GUNNUT in Iowa » Tue Jul 19, 2022 12:50 pm

Chuck W. wrote:
Tue Jul 19, 2022 8:40 am
the 12 oz is suspect. I just fill it until oil starts running back out of the hole, does not take much, you are right, just a couple of ozs. If you are installing new boots, you will need to check the oil level often since the oil will migrate into the boots.
If I put any more oil in the drop axles, it seems to weep from the inboard dust boot seal.
The inner retainer wire for the boot may be loose or broken. It's hard to get a completely "dry" mule, I've tried!
In my opinion, if it's not leaking, you better check and make sure it's not empty :D
" . . . if it's not leaking, you better check and make sure it's not empty."

Doesn't that apply to Harley Davidson motorcycles as well?

:lol:
1968 M274 A5 Mule
1945 Willys MB

RBW
G-Staff Sergeant
G-Staff Sergeant

Post by RBW » Wed Jul 20, 2022 7:39 am

Getting the dust boots to seal just right seems to be a challenge. I've tried the non-hardening Permatex around the recess in the drop axle housing. Hard to get the safety wire to line up just right to clamp in the right places. Also, I had ancient leather hub seals which clearly were sealing nothing anymore, so replacing with rubber lip seals seems to have helped a bit.

Mike_W
G-Master Sergeant
G-Master Sergeant

Post by Mike_W » Wed Jul 20, 2022 11:13 am

I always had problems with keeping the wire lined up while also twisting the wire with regular pliers when replacing boots. I since started using safety wire pliers and it's much easier. Use one hand to keep the wire in place and the other to just pull straight up on the pliers and let them do the twisting. It's important to get the right amount of twist. If you can turn the boot then it's too loose. Tighten the wire just until the boot won't turn and stop tightening. Don't over tighten or the wire will cut the boot. This process has been working well to stop leaks from around the bottom of the boot.
Mike White
Hayesville, NC

Chuck W.
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Chuck W. » Wed Jul 20, 2022 11:55 am

The best wire I ever found for this was some telephone lacing wire that my friend, Rod, had. I wish I had another roll of it!

Return to “MULE M274 Technical”