Crankcase Oil Leaks

M274 Mechanical Mule Knowledge Base
RBW
G-Staff Sergeant
G-Staff Sergeant

Re: Crankcase Oil Leaks

Post by RBW » Sun May 15, 2022 2:57 pm

Cam bearing replacement is done. I used red Loc-Tite on the rear shoulder of the bearing. I noticed that, with the rocker shaft in place and valve spring pressure on the camshaft, the cam will tend to overrun the crank gear and there is a ping as the crank gear catches up and hits the teeth on the cam gear. I'm pretty sure now this is where my "valve train noise" was coming from. There is still a little clatter on initial start sometimes until the engine is revved and the lifters fill, but the cam gear noise is present all the time at idle. I think it is just due to wear of the crank and cam gear. I did not replace the cam gear or camshaft. The cam appears to be a generator cam - P/N k13206E0571. There seems to be less oil being blasted out of the engine. Replacing some gaskets and seals probably helped with that as well. I'm pretty sure the cam is quieter than it was. Engine runs well, so I am happy.

RBW
G-Staff Sergeant
G-Staff Sergeant

Re: Crankcase Oil Leaks

Post by RBW » Fri Jun 03, 2022 5:05 pm

To follow up, the cam bearing has definitely fixed this issue. Not sure how long it will hold up without spinning in the block, but it has definitely improved things a lot.

Curtis

Return to “MULE M274 Technical”