Mule Tires and Tubes

M274 Mechanical Mule Knowledge Base
RBW
G-Staff Sergeant
G-Staff Sergeant

Mule Tires and Tubes

Post by RBW » Sun Feb 06, 2022 8:56 am

Thought this posted, but must have had an invalid link or something.

Looking for suggestions on tires/tubes. Coker 7.50-10 NDCC P/N 517800 was $150 and now unavailable. Specialty Tire of America NDT DN1L2 was $135 and now unavailable. I found a Duro DI-K968 24x9.00-10 that is very similar in dimensions and load capacity, and was the original front tire on a Kawasaki Mule. Tread is not too aggressive and doesn't look too ridiculous. Not nearly as neat as an NDCC or NDT, though.

Is the correct tube the 7.50-10 offset TR-15 valve stem? I think this is Coker P/N 517799.

Would appreciate any suggestions. Yes, I know people get upset about putting ATV tires on a Mule. Don't have any other options I am aware of at a cost acceptable to me right now. Old tires are out-of-round, different diameters, and sloughing rubber. Thanks for any help.

Curtis

Chuck W.
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General
Re: Mule Tires and Tubes

Post by Chuck W. » Sun Feb 06, 2022 9:58 am

That is the correct tube size, must have TR-15 1-1/2" stems. I have been running my tires tubeless for the past 6-8 years with no problems. Here's a link to a discussion on tires & tubes, you've probably already found it: viewtopic.php?f=79&t=292675&p=1695515&h ... s#p1695515

Sorry to hear Coker has stopped production on the tires, did you check with John? I think he still stocks the correct tubes, don't know if he has any tires now. If you can't find the NDMD tires, I guess ATV tires is the only choice to keep it rolling.

Mule parts are really starting to get hard to find. Because of this, I am starting to think about selling my mule, the spares and all the parts I have in inventory and get away from these things altogether.

RBW
G-Staff Sergeant
G-Staff Sergeant

Post by RBW » Sun Feb 06, 2022 2:26 pm

Chuck,

Thanks for the reply. Coker has been unresponsive and Summit keeps moving their backorder date to the right for these. Seems like everything is broken these days.

Here is a link to the Kawasaki Mule tire made by Duro:

https://durotire.com/product/mule-di-k968-968a-968m/

I see what you mean about parts availability. Would have been extremely difficult to get my mule going without John's help. I hope you don't give up on Mules, because I'm just getting into it. I think one is enough for me, though.

Curtis

Chuck W.
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Chuck W. » Sun Feb 06, 2022 4:37 pm

That is an interesting tire, looks better that the aggressive ATV-type lug tires that tend to damage the drivetrain on 4WS mules, will be interested to see they work for you. The military got away from the ND type tire and went to something very similar on the newer tactical vehicles, mainly, I think, because of poor performance on slick surfaces. This tire should work well.
I only have one mule now and that's enough! I had an accident AGAIN (#5) in the shop a couple of weeks ago (cranked in gear and ran over my leg), so this mule is really on borrowed time! My wife hates it and would like to see it gone! Second time resulted in broken bones and surgery!

Mike_W
G-Master Sergeant
G-Master Sergeant

Post by Mike_W » Thu Feb 10, 2022 12:14 pm

Dang Chuck. Thought you would have learned by now... :D 2 or 3 times is usually enough...

Guess it's time to design a neutral safety switch. If designed correctly could probably also be used to activate a back up light... But at least it would prevent you getting run over when starting it...

Maybe it is time to quit working and start writing. It would be a whole lot safer.... :shock:
Mike White
Hayesville, NC

Chuck W.
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Chuck W. » Thu Feb 10, 2022 4:09 pm

I have finally learned to use the clutch pedal hold down! (although I am pretty sure Eeyore is out to get me no matter what I do!)

markrdje
USMC Sergeant
USMC Sergeant

Post by markrdje » Thu Feb 10, 2022 7:13 pm

It's a habit for me as all my vehicles haves clutches.Driving in big cities I was shifting all the time
change user name to mark

Chuck W.
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Chuck W. » Fri Feb 11, 2022 10:08 am

It's a habit for me as all my vehicles haves clutches.Driving in big cities I was shifting all the time
Not sure what you mean, the mule has a lever on the bottom of the clutch pedal that will lock the pedal in the released position and I try to make sure the pedal is locked down and the shifter is in neutral now when I am working on it. For long term storage, locking the clutch in the released position will help keep the clutch disc from sticking to the flywheel, although it also might result in a stretched clutch cable.
I also make sure when the mule is on the lift, wheel chocks are used. I've taken to tying it down to the lift with a ratchet strap just to make sure it can't move. I have also learned to NEVER turn your back on a mule, keep one eye on it at all times and make sure you have a clear escape path!

Excuse me now, I need to go patch a hole in the back wall of my shop where the mule pushed my M100 trailer through it! :o

markrdje
USMC Sergeant
USMC Sergeant

Post by markrdje » Fri Feb 11, 2022 11:31 am

I need to go look at my mule to see what you are talking about, plus read better
change user name to mark

RBW
G-Staff Sergeant
G-Staff Sergeant

Post by RBW » Wed Feb 16, 2022 7:16 pm

Happy to report that the new tires (Duro Kawasaki Mule stock replacement front tire) are installed and working well. I used 7.50-10 tubes with TR-15 short, fat (5/8" diameter) valve stems. The tires are dimensionally similar to the three 1968-dated Goodyears and one 1972-dated Denman that were on it. The new tires are slightly less bulky, and the tread pattern, while not off-putting, is definitely not stock M274. The tire appears a bit more square-shouldered in the marketing pictures. When installed and inflated, it has a more rounded profile - not as much what I was looking for, but again not off-putting. The machine drives and rides very noticeably better than with the worn out Goodyear NDMDs. Steering drag seems better, traction is better, and ride quality is better, so I'd say it's an improvement in every aspect except stock appearance. I drive on a fair amount of gravel. The tires throw a few more rocks than the NDMDs, but they don't stick in the tread, which is a pleasant surprise.

Curtis

Chuck W.
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Chuck W. » Thu Feb 17, 2022 3:02 pm

Can you post some photos of your mule with the tires? Thanks!

RBW
G-Staff Sergeant
G-Staff Sergeant

Post by RBW » Thu Feb 17, 2022 6:49 pm

Chuck, here is the picture. I can get some from other angles - just snapped this one quickly last night.

Tires are Duro DI-K968M, P/N 31-K968M10-249B, size 24x9.00-10.

I know, nothing looks worse than the wrong tires on a Mule, but it really does ride and drive so much better. Tire specs are very similar to those stated for both the Specialty Tire of America and the Coker reproductions. Running them at 8 psi right now and pretty happy with that.

Curtis
Attachments
Mule New Tires.jpg

Chuck W.
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Chuck W. » Thu Feb 17, 2022 7:17 pm

I think it looks pretty good. Might be the best option if the NDMD tires are no longer available.

Grummanflyer
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major

Post by Grummanflyer » Fri Feb 18, 2022 5:56 am

Looks pretty good to me too. I'm pretty sure we are all gonna eventually make a few concessions to keep our mules running. We are already seeing that in the Spark Plug department.
I have guns.
You don't want me to have guns.
I won't give you my guns.
YOUR MOVE!

RBW
G-Staff Sergeant
G-Staff Sergeant

Post by RBW » Fri Feb 18, 2022 4:48 pm

Thanks, gents. I am getting used to it, and looks more normal to me each time I see it. It sure is more drivable.

What's the latest in the spark plug department? Mine came with a set of Autolites that were purchased by the previous owner about 5 years ago. What are people using now?

Curtis

Return to “MULE M274 Technical”