Civilian Spark Plugs

M274 Mechanical Mule Knowledge Base
Chuck W.
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General
Civilian Spark Plugs

Post by Chuck W. » Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:22 am

I am looking for the civilian equivalent to the Autolite 2223 spark plug used in the AO42 engine. Since the 2223 plugs are no longer available, I have ordered some of the military plug adapters from MWM and would like to try them on the mule. From the spark plug conversion tables that I have found so far, I THINK an AC Delco 295 plug will work, but just not sure. Looks like the 295 is a little higher heat range than the 2223, but I think it will be OK. A 294 would be better, but looks like they are no longer available, either! Thoughts?

Chuck W.
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General
Re: Civilian Spark Plugs

Post by Chuck W. » Sat Oct 23, 2021 9:23 am

I wanted to do a follow-up on this for those who are looking for alternative to the waterproof 2223 spark plugs. This is the spark plug adapter that is currently available from Midwest Military. You can see how a standard plug fits into the adapter.

The assembled adapter is about 1" longer than the standard 2223 waterproof spark plug.

The extra length does not cause an issue on the right side of the engine.

But the left side is very close to the exhaust pipe. Don't know if this will be a problem.

I am still not sure which civilian spark plug to use in the adapter. An Autolite 295 is the standard civilian plug used the the 4 cylinder jeeps, but an Autolite 303 has a little colder heat range and might be a better option. More research is needed.
Hope this helps.

Return to “MULE M274 Technical”