ENGINE OIL LEAK

M274 Mechanical Mule Knowledge Base
Guam0311
G-Master Sergeant
G-Master Sergeant
ENGINE OIL LEAK

Post by Guam0311 » Fri Apr 24, 2020 10:05 pm

I have my Genset motor up and running and pretty good, however after running for a good 20 minutes it has developed a leak while running. Left side cylinder. I checked all my fittings and they appear dry and no leaks. Also checked oil filler tube and that checks good. I checked the oil drain back line from the cylinder to oil pan and I see no cracks in the casting.

I understand you cannot run engine with the top shroud off or any? I was going to run it with some shroud off for better inspection but don't want to cook a cylinder. So hard to find a leak with all those darn shrouds on.

In the one picture, I am pointing to the cylinder head gasket to crankcase. It looks pretty wet. And oil is pooling up on top of the crankcase casting right above the oil pan adapter plate below where I am pointing. (hard to see on picture). I was thinking of re-torqueing the four nuts that attach the cylinder? Hoping those studs wont turn if I apply torque. Who knows how long the Genset motor was sitting. 40 years?

Is there a lot of oil pressure going through that top oil breather tube that's hard to get to? The other end connects to the fitting at the air cleaner.
Attachments
IMG_1594.jpg
IMG_1593.jpg
IMG_1592.jpg

tbied2
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major

Re: ENGINE OIL LEAK

Post by tbied2 » Sun Apr 26, 2020 9:53 am

.. several years ago, I used a brand new gen engine for a replacement motor in one of my mules. Basically the long block, and it was fairly easy. Motor ran great for about a few weeks,,, then... an oil leak started..... in two spots. Both were on the push rod tubes. I guess since it set for many years in a crate, those red rubber rings on the tubes in the block and head kinda rotted,.... they were fairly east to replace,, but removing the cylinder head was time consuming.... good luck,... t ....

Guam0311
G-Master Sergeant
G-Master Sergeant
Re: ENGINE OIL LEAK

Post by Guam0311 » Sun May 03, 2020 10:29 am

TBIED2 You are absolutely correct. The pushrod seal on the crankcase side was torn and damaged, looks like from factory assembly. I replaced all four seals on that side just in case, ran the engine for 30 minutes and no LEAKS!

Thanks a bunch TBIED2. I spent days looking for that.

For those of you who are doing a genset motor, while the motor is dissembled , you might want to check and or replace those orange seals. 4 per cylinder. TM 5-2805-213-24P item 33 fig 15 pg.36 pushrod housing seal.
Attachments
IMG_1659.jpg
IMG_1658.jpg

Return to “MULE M274 Technical”