First start after sitting a decade

M274 Mechanical Mule Knowledge Base
hotrod6779
G-Private First Class
G-Private First Class
First start after sitting a decade

Post by hotrod6779 » Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:48 am

Oil stinks like fuel. I need to change the oil and fuel pump. Anything else I can do first. I really don’t want to wash out the cylinders. Thanks

jnissen
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major

Re: First start after sitting a decade

Post by jnissen » Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:50 am

I’d remove plugs and add a squirt or two of oil to each cylinder. Rotate that through a few times manually then try some fuel in the carb and see if you have ignition.

Changing oil is a given as is anti freeze.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jim Nissen
1955 M38A1
Patent Plate MD74784
Engine Plate MD85578
BS Hood Number 20974784

Chuck W.
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Chuck W. » Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:17 am

Don't forget to check for rat nests under the left engine shroud!

jnissen
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major

Post by jnissen » Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:28 am

jnissen wrote:I’d remove plugs and add a squirt or two of oil to each cylinder. Rotate that through a few times manually then try some fuel in the carb and see if you have ignition.

Changing oil is a given as is anti freeze.

I need to read the posts better before replying. No antifreeze required!

Jim Nissen
1955 M38A1
Patent Plate MD74784
Engine Plate MD85578
BS Hood Number 20974784

muleman7
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

Post by muleman7 » Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:39 am

Remove the passenger side spark plug and connect it back to the ignition wire. Turn the engine over with the ignition switch ON to verify spark. If no spark you need to remove the mag then the top and sand-clean the points and set to 0.016". Impulse the mag prior to installing the top and verify that there is a bright spark when the points open. Then install the top and with the mag held in a vise and the ignition wires installed impulse the mag holding the wires about 3/4" apart and you should see a violent bright blue spark. Then short one wire to the mag case holding the other wire about 3/4" from the case and impulse the mag. Then reverse the wires and check again. If all 3 test are positive install the mag.

Caution:

The governor must be removed and the timing marks located prior to removing the mag. The later KM and all V engines are timed V To V. It is helpful to mark the mag mounting flange and engine case with a cold chisel prior to removing so you can replace the mag as it was removed. When the V on the cam gear and mag gear are aligned the roll pin on the mag gear will be at 9 o'clock. Either sloted holes on the plastic drive gear can align with the roll pin.

If you have a timing lite make up a short ignition lead about 12" long preferably with a wire core and strip 3/4" both ends and poke one end into the spark plug and use a distributer boot to hold it in place then twist the other end over the spring of the mule ignition wire. This will give you a place to connect your timing lite spark plug pick-up.The engine is timed 18 degrees advanced while running at any engine speed. There is not mechanical advance with the mag.
Mules are my passion
www.m274armymules.com

hotrod6779
G-Private First Class
G-Private First Class

Post by hotrod6779 » Wed Sep 18, 2019 5:44 am

Got the magneto out, cleaned up, and firing. Put a little gas in the carb and now we’re on to the fuel system.

Return to “MULE M274 Technical”