Shroud Removal

M274 Mechanical Mule Knowledge Base
dennispatterson
G-Private
G-Private

Shroud Removal

Post by dennispatterson » Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:23 pm

M274-A2 w/ AO-42 engine --- We are dealing with a filthy engine drenched with hardened oil & dirt. Don't know how it ever ran properly since the fins & shrouds are full of guck. Trying hard to remove the left rear shroud p/n 10919473. Very frustrating. Is there a secret to getting it out without pulling the engine? Do I need to remove the rocker arm cover?

muleman7
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

Re: Shroud Removal

Post by muleman7 » Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:05 pm

I replaced the head on that side and had to remove that shroud to access the nuts retaining the cyl head. It was very difficult and I almost removed the bed support tube but finally got it out. It will be easier to remove with the valve cover and possibly the rocker arm assy off. Or remove the support tube only leaving the valve cover in place.

With the shroud loose leave it in place and use a wooden wedge to hold it away from the head and cyl. Then use a pressure washer to clear build-up. It will be easier to pressure wash the engine if you turn your mule on its side gas tank up. A Steam Cleaner or Hot Water Pressure Washer works best.
Mules are my passion
www.m274armymules.com

Chuck W.
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Chuck W. » Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:31 pm

I'd just pull the engine, it's really easy to do and will allow you to remove all the shrouds and give the engine a really good cleaning!
North Alabama

dennispatterson
G-Private
G-Private

Post by dennispatterson » Sat Dec 22, 2018 12:56 pm

Many thanks for these replies. Unfortunately, the mule is in a small garage/shop with no engine-lifting tools or pressure washing ability. And, it's in Canada so pressure washing outside in winter isn't possible. I have to wait till spring. However, I removed the valve cover and then was able to get the shroud removed with lots of yanking & twisting. No damage. I'll clean what I can by hand with Gunk Engine Cleaner over the winter.

Return to “MULE M274 Technical”