INNER AXLE SHAFT SEAL

M274 Mechanical Mule Knowledge Base
Guam0311
G-Master Sergeant
G-Master Sergeant
INNER AXLE SHAFT SEAL

Post by Guam0311 » Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:44 pm

I am in the process of replacing the right rear inner axle seal and I tried using this puller and will not work. 90 degree flanges broke off. cheap over seas junk. tried to find a quality one but no dice. also used the basic hook puller. no deal.

Does anyone know if their is a seal puller like the GM style shift shaft seal remover? the type that threads in. It would have to be about 1.00 diameter.
Attachments
IMG_3537.JPG
IMG_3537.JPG (107.27 KiB) Viewed 4269 times
IMG_3535.JPG
IMG_3535.JPG (120.8 KiB) Viewed 4268 times
IMG_3518.JPG
IMG_3518.JPG (116.91 KiB) Viewed 4267 times

markrdje
USMC Sergeant
USMC Sergeant
Re: INNER AXLE SHAFT SEAL

Post by markrdje » Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:56 pm

Did you try going to the GM dealer?Look on this website,for same posting, also go to amazon(on other site posting they list the link
change user name to mark

Guam0311
G-Master Sergeant
G-Master Sergeant

Post by Guam0311 » Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:48 pm

markrdje wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:56 pm
Did you try going to the GM dealer?Look on this website,for same posting, also go to amazon(on other site posting they list the link
Thanks Mark, yea been looking in this site but have not seen that particular seal being talked about, except the actual part number. but not how to remove it. G.M. would be a good place to start. ill try that.

muleman7
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

Post by muleman7 » Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:43 am

You have selected a very difficult job with the LR Axle in place.

1-Remove the entire Gear Cover Housing Assy applying heat to the housing perimeter to keep from destroying the gasket then pull the Axle. difficult to do if 4WS the boot will be in the way of the HEAT.
With axle in place
2-Dill a hole in the face of the seal housing and use a screw attached to a slide hammer to remove.
3-Use a flat blade screwdriver or 1/8" long pin punch to deform the seal housing till it can be removed.
4-Try your local Auto Parts Dealer for rental tools.

I modified this puller to remove the impulse coupler from the magneto.

I believe this is from Harbor Freight a Pittsburg Tool it will require grinding to fit between the axle and seal housing. It does not appear to have removable fingers and you may need to grind the pins so they can be removed and installed in the seal then attached to the puller. More difficult with 3 fingers.

I have this kit and use the Tapered Screw to pull the Hub Seals.

This is an older style Snap-On Puller and the jaws look stronger and might be modified to work.

KNOIK Cam and Crankshaft Seal Puller.

http://automotive--parts.com/p/Flywheel ... l-Tool.php

Mules are my passion
www.m274armymules.com

Guam0311
G-Master Sergeant
G-Master Sergeant

Post by Guam0311 » Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:54 pm

That three fingered pulley you have pictured just might do it. The two pronged one I used pulled right through it. and the other finger just snapped off.

their was a black sealant or adhesive around the seal from possibly the original assembly. That seal is not budging, so I will try and apply some heat around the perimeter of the seal. Hopefully that will do the trick.

Thanks Muleman7

Chuck W.
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Chuck W. » Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:45 am

I agree with Charles, in order to remove and install this seal right, you need to remove the LH axle. You probably need to replace the LH seals anyway.

Guam0311
G-Master Sergeant
G-Master Sergeant

Post by Guam0311 » Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:33 pm

Chuck W. wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:45 am
I agree with Charles, in order to remove and install this seal right, you need to remove the LH axle. You probably need to replace the LH seals anyway.
That sounds like the best route so far. Removing the axle will free up more space to remove that seal. rebuilding that left side, will insure it's good for a long time to came. Thanks Chuck.

Guam0311
G-Master Sergeant
G-Master Sergeant

Post by Guam0311 » Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:13 pm

After going over the manual, it does state to "Remove plain encased seal from inside axle and transmission housing. So I did wind up removing the L/H axle and drop gear housing to help facilitate removing that right side inner axle shaft seal. And boy It sure worked. I used a 7/8 Armstrong impact socket to be exact, because the diameter was perfect. with the L/H axle out I was able to get enough swing of the hammer to drive out the seal. Im so relieved to get that seal out. Geez.

The manual states: "install plain encased seal inside axle and transmission housing with seal lip toward gear bearing cage side of housing". So I think the removed seal was facing the wrong way?

The new timkin seal I have is the same outside diameter of 1.500,but the removed old seal width is .375 compared to the new one .265.

Will that make much of a difference or should I look for the exact seal?
Attachments
IMG_3553.JPG
IMG_3553.JPG (117.73 KiB) Viewed 4181 times

Chuck W.
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Chuck W. » Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:08 am

Part of me says it won't make a difference, BUT....that seal is so hard to get to, another part of me says call John Emery and see if he has the correct width seal! Might be worth the wait to get the correct seal, then you won't stay awake nights worrying about it!!

muleman7
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

Post by muleman7 » Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:19 am

The width should not make any difference. Set it in so case or seal does not protrude from the housing. Make sure the seal case and housing are clean. You could apply Loctite 290 to prevent leakage between the seal case and housing, not required it is a prevention step.

Wire wheel or 600 grit sand paper the sealing surface on the axle it should be shinny and smooth. Lube/Grease the axle sealing surface and seal prior to assembly.
Mules are my passion
www.m274armymules.com

Guam0311
G-Master Sergeant
G-Master Sergeant

Post by Guam0311 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:02 pm

I contacted John Emery, he does have the original seals, however he said they are so old that the rubber has hardened over. So the newer style seal I will install. Thanks Charles and Chuck for your help.

Return to “MULE M274 Technical”