How to lock the rear wheels from steering?

M274 Mechanical Mule Knowledge Base
tinskipper
G-Civilian
How to lock the rear wheels from steering?

Post by tinskipper » Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:37 am

:D Good day everyone. I have owned a mule for many years, It has 4 wheel steering. I load it in the back of my truck for parades and air shows. I ramp it from my trailer into the truck bed. It more of a gradual slope. with the 4 wheel steering engaged it's a bit tough. I see the square access plate and the pin that will disengage the rear wheels from steering, but after that pin is removed and the tie rod is removed from the pin is there a place the tie rod goe's to where it keeps the rear wheels from turning?

muleman7
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

Re: How to lock the rear wheels from steering?

Post by muleman7 » Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:57 am

YES. The passenger frame tube has a mounting plate welded to the tube for the rear steering arm attachment for 2WS. After removing the rear steering arm from the tow bar drag link that allowed 4WS move the rear steering arm to the bracket on the frame tube and bump the rear tires to align the holes and secure with the clevis pin for 2WS.

You mentioned a square access plate this was only on the original 4WS Mules [M274-A4 Models] The converted A5's did not have the 2WS lock-out bracket on the frame tube. for the owners of the A5 4WS converted mules I have either a bolt on or weld on 2WS bracket.

Steering Access Cover

2WS Lock-Out Brackets

Mules are my passion
www.m274armymules.com

jasapeda
G-Civilian

Post by jasapeda » Wed Aug 05, 2020 8:28 am

I would like to purchase the bolt on one you have in the pic. Do you have any, how much do you want for it, and how do I order this set-up?

Chuck W.
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Chuck W. » Wed Aug 05, 2020 4:30 pm

I think that bolt-on bracket is actually made by John Emery at Emery Mule Supply - (262) 567-5606

muleman7
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

Post by muleman7 » Wed Aug 05, 2020 7:51 pm

jasapeda wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 8:28 am
I would like to purchase the bolt on one you have in the pic. Do you have any, how much do you want for it, and how do I order this set-up?
Contact me via e-mail see my Contacts. I have them in stock send me your address should ship this week.
Mules are my passion
www.m274armymules.com

jasapeda
G-Civilian

Post by jasapeda » Wed Aug 26, 2020 12:21 pm

Hello, got your email and replied back to go ahead and ship. Didn't receive the bracket or any other correspondence after emailing three times. Please let me know what's going so I can purchase this product.

Return to “MULE M274 Technical”