OIL IN CLUTCH BEARING CARRIER HOUSEING

M274 Mechanical Mule Knowledge Base
Guam0311
G-Master Sergeant
G-Master Sergeant
OIL IN CLUTCH BEARING CARRIER HOUSEING

Post by Guam0311 » Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:08 pm

I finally pulled the motor yesterday to start the Mule/Genset motor swap and I found about ten OZ. of gear oil in the bottom of the carrier. Came back from work today and found a puddle of oil on the ground. looks like its leaking from the right side axle housing assembly seals or seal? I am no expert on this but im sure there is no quick fix for this other then rebuilding the axle assembly?

Also while the motor is out, should I go ahead and replace both clutch release and carrier springs?
Attachments
IMG_3219.JPG
IMG_3219.JPG (126.86 KiB) Viewed 1434 times
IMG_3250.JPG
IMG_3250.JPG (107.68 KiB) Viewed 1435 times

muleman7
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

Re: OIL IN CLUTCH BEARING CARRIER HOUSEING

Post by muleman7 » Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:39 am

Replace the Throwout Bearing but your Springs should be OK unless they are stretched or deformed.

To replace the left rear Axle Transmission Seal you must remove the Axle and right Drop Gear Housing Assy.

If you do not remove the Transmission Assy you can leave it in the Mule. To get the right Drop Gear Housing Assy to clear the Frame Tubes remove the 4 right Frame Tube bolts and the right Rear Bed Support Tube. Remove 3 left Frame Tube Bolts leaving a loose top left Bolt installed. The Transmission Assy can now drop down so the right Drop Gear Housing Assy can be removed from the Transmission.

Clean the Metal Shims, Transmission Mounting Flange, the Ring Gear Mounting Flanges and DG Mounting Flange. Use Permatex Aviation Form-A-Gasket Sealer to prevent possible leaks.

Install the Transmission Axle Seal with lip towards the Ring Gear.

You could replace the rear LH Axle Seal in the DG Housing with the lip towards the Axle Bearing.

I would check the Axle Bearing and if good I suggest preloading it with grease to ensure lubrication the same way you pack wheel bearings.

If you have to replace the 205 Axle Bearing you must press off the Gear.

Tools Needed to remove Axle and Gear

Tools needed to remove B1412 Needle Bearing from DG Housing

Snap Ring holding Axle Assy

Remove Snap Ring

Snap Ring Removed

Pry out Axle Assy

Removing Axle Gear

Removing B1412 Needle Bearing

Removed

If you need further help please contact via Post, PM but prefer E-Mail.
Mules are my passion
www.m274armymules.com

Guam0311
G-Master Sergeant
G-Master Sergeant

Post by Guam0311 » Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:20 pm

Those are good pictures of what I will be tackling soon. All my attention has been on the engine swap but Ill just concentrate on both. one step at a time. Your directions are very helpful. I finished up the Transmission synchronizer a while back and sure wouldn't want to breach that system again.

So now I will start tooling up for this job. Their is a project tool for the "needle bearing driver" on the M274 (G823) whiteworks web site that looks invaluable for proper needle bearing installation. except one thing. I don't have a lathe. lol. wish I did though.

Thanks Charles ill contact you via email.................................................Dave

muleman7
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

Post by muleman7 » Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:54 am

I have the Snap-On Tool that works great. I recently purchased the Harbor Freight tool that includes the slide hammer $72.99.

https://www.harborfreight.com/slide-ham ... 62601.html

When installing the needle bearing it must be set below the oil groove so lubrication can get to the Axle Bearing.

Mules are my passion
www.m274armymules.com

Return to “MULE M274 Technical”