MULE position for Transmission work.

M274 Mechanical Mule Knowledge Base
Guam0311
G-Master Sergeant
G-Master Sergeant
MULE position for Transmission work.

Post by Guam0311 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:31 pm

At this time, I don't have a car lift or anything special for raising the MULE besides basic floor jacks and jack stands. How hard would it be to put the Mule on it's rear end. (engine down). obviously. Can two guys raise the thing to stand it up? and will it stay secure enough to sit that way? possibly utilizing wood blocks and or cable winch hanging from the rafter just to keep it steady and by no means letting the full weight hang from the house. (wouldn't want the MULE to bring the house down).

Or just put it on it's side as most on here have stated. how many men does it take to put the MULE on its side? no joke intended. Im asking because I don't even own a MULE yet. But hopefully soon.

Thank you

muleman7
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

Re: MULE position for Transmission work.

Post by muleman7 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:31 am

Guam0311

Standing the mule on its end engine down is going to be very difficult using man power and slightly dangerous. Once on its back end then securing to rafters is a good safety measure. Getting it back down is going to be as difficult and dangerous as standing it up.

Turning it on its side is safer and easier 2 stout men should be able to accomplish it. Getting it righted is easier since it lands on the tires.

My suggestion is on its side gas tank down remove the right side tires to make work easier. You have to disconnect the driveshaft at the brake drum then remove. Remove all shift rods from the trans.

When removing the trans cover I:
1-remove the L/H range shift shaft poppet assy
2-remove the bearing cover for the mainshaft the one on the drivers side
3-remove the bolt and washer from the mainshaft and install the bolt without washer and a fixture that will push against the bolt to push on the mainshaft removing it from the 205 bearing
4-remove all trans cover nuts and LWs
5-heat the cover along the gasket area to loosen the cover from the gasket I do not like to scrape gaskets around studs
6-tighten the fixture on the mainshaft to push the cover away from the trans
7-if heating was successful then the gasket will remain on the trans ready to reuse, I would recommend Permatex Form-A-Gasket Sealer #3 on the gasket / cover to prevent leaks after reassemble
8-When the cover is removed you will have the output shaft and intermediate shaft and L/H shift shaft and fork assy intact.
9-if you need to replace the intermediate shaft 205 bearings it is easy to do at this point
10-remove the 2nd-3rd speed shift shaft poppet assy
11-remove the safety wire and setscrew for the 2nd-3rd shift fork and make sure 1st-rev is in neutral then remove the 2nd-3rd shift shaft
12-if bearings for the output and intermediate shaft are good then the only thing to replace is the output shaft seal. You will not have to disturb the metal shims for the carrier and bearing retainer for the output shaft

This is the way I dissemble a transmission because most of the problems are with the mainshaft synchronizer / 1st-rev slider and sometime 2nd speed spur gear, countercluster gear and possibly rev idler gear.

If you need to service or replace components on the input shaft you will need to pull the engine.

Transmission Mainshaft Remover Tool

Contact me via e-mail if you need parts or help see my contact info

Mules are my passion
www.m274armymules.com

Guam0311
G-Master Sergeant
G-Master Sergeant

Post by Guam0311 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:50 pm

I appreciate your help Muleman7. I have downloaded the TM and have started studying it. I will eventually PM you for the parts and or tooling required as I Should be a new owner of this particular MULE by this weekend if everything goes as planned. Laying the MULE on the side sounds like the safest route in which I will employ. Their is a homemade wooden scaffolding that a member on here has put his MULE on to work more comfortably and looks intriguing but not sure how to get it to the top unless one uses ramps, forklift or crane? Anyway I will figure it out. Thank you.

muleman7
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

Post by muleman7 » Wed Feb 28, 2018 6:25 am

Great to hear about your coming mule. They are a fun and fairly easy to rebuild when considering other Military Vehicles. Parts are readily available and the series of M274-M274-A5 allow the interchange of chassis parts.

I picked up a Gantry Frame and now it is the #1 most useful tool. I had a chain hoist and it was 85 pulls to get the mule off the ground to full height. I use the spreader bar to aid in the lift. I now have an electric chain hoist making it much easier to hoist to working height. The Gantry is 11' high and 10' wide inside.

Mules are my passion
www.m274armymules.com

Guam0311
G-Master Sergeant
G-Master Sergeant

Post by Guam0311 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:59 pm

Nice set up Muleman7. with that gantry crane, that sure beats laying on a creeper on the cold floor and trying to hold your neck up.

I have read about your improved shift rail poppet ball assy. It seems a guy should go ahead and replace those once the transmission is gone through anyway. What's your thoughts on that?

muleman7
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

Post by muleman7 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:40 am

Guam0311

I would replace all 3 but the one most worn is 2nd-3rd. With transmissions other than the M274 and M274-A3 the 2nd-3rd Poppet Plug Assys are accessible from the outside. The M274 and M274-A3 2nd-3rd Spring and Ball can only be accessed when the transmission is disassembled allowing you to replace it and load it through the 1st-Rev poppet hole.

Contact me for help and parts.

The Modified Poppet Ball Assy

Tools for installing and loading the early transmission 2nd-3rd Poppet Ball Assy. The short plug is what holds the spring and ball in place and is driven out when the 2nd-3rd Shift Shaft is installed. The notch allows the lock out plug to engage. When the plug is knocked out it falls to the bottom of the transmission and removed easily. I do like the lower gearing of the early transmission but it is very difficult to replace the synchronizer with out nearly complete disassembly.

Read through the following Post describing differences of the transmissions.

http://g503.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f= ... 5&start=15

Mules are my passion
www.m274armymules.com

Return to “MULE M274 Technical”