Mule spark plugs where to buy

M274 Mechanical Mule Knowledge Base
rexman
G-Staff Sergeant
G-Staff Sergeant
Mule spark plugs where to buy

Post by rexman » Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:15 pm

They used to be every where now where to look, and the Champion xmd-21 are they a good plug to use or other brand & Number

markrdje
USMC Sergeant
USMC Sergeant
Re: Mule spark plugs where to buy

Post by markrdje » Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:33 pm

emery mules, military mules of america, ask the question to the internet and I am sure it would come up with several sites
change user name to mark

GUNNUT in Iowa
Sergeant Major of the Gee
Sergeant Major of the Gee

Post by GUNNUT in Iowa » Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:46 am

I bought four Autolite 2223 from O’Reilly Auto Parts in Nov 2013. Cost was $29.96 for all four.
1968 M274 A5 Mule
1945 Willys MB

muleman7
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

Post by muleman7 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:50 am

Contact me for help or parts. click on my Contact button for my e-mail.

Spark plugs are 18mm 7/8 Hex Military Type Shielded,

I have the 2224 Colder and the 2226 Hotter spark plugs in stock. The original plugs were the 2223 but they are hard to find. The 2224 is one step hotter then the 2223.

For my personal mules used for short runs 20 min or less I run the 2226s. If I plan to go on an extended run 1 hours plus then I run the 2224s. I prefer the Autolite over Champion but that is me. It may be like Chevy or Ford truck which is best?

I do not consider pre-ignition from the hotter plug since the cylinder head is hemispherical and the compression for the mule head with the copper head spacer is 6.5 to 1 and the genset head WO the copper head spacer is 6.9 to 1.

The difference between the heads is the valve length from the keeper groove to the top of the valve stem see pic below from my post about the difference between the two engines. I know some will say the genset is less horse power since the manual states 10Hp. from my research I concluded that the genset Hp is Continuous able to deliver over constant rpm running various equipment. Where the mule was rated for available Hp over varing loads and speed. They are nearly identical engines other than carb, governor, magneto and valves. Both are 42ci and internally identical other than the valves.

http://g503.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=148&t=262382

To see the damage to an engine when using the copper head spacers with the genset heads [shorter valves] see Lance's Post starting with page 8 destroyed the valve rotators, cyl and piston scuffing and damaged front cam bearing plus engine bearing bore. Not rebuildable. The damage was do to the hydraulic lifters unable to compensate for the additional 0.050 clearance due to the head spacer with the shorter valves.

This link should take you to page 8.

http://g503.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f= ... &start=105
Mules are my passion
www.m274armymules.com

drsuggs
G-Private First Class
G-Private First Class

Post by drsuggs » Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:19 am

Hey Guys
eBay has Autolite 2226 plugs on the site now.

Return to “MULE M274 Technical”