shift shaft seal puller

M274 Mechanical Mule Knowledge Base
WLEIT
G-Staff Sergeant
G-Staff Sergeant

shift shaft seal puller

Post by WLEIT » Tue Aug 23, 2011 12:21 pm

I've been busy fixing my leaks and have just a couple more to go. I need a shift shaft seal puller to remove the High/Low seal that has a pretty good leak. I remeber Rod saying he acquired a shift shaft seal puller. Anyone know of a aftermarket puller for this job? Thanks.

Chuck W.
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General
Re: shift shaft seal puller

Post by Chuck W. » Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:50 pm

You need a shift shaft seal puller for a GM transmission. Here's a link to one on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Schley-SCH96480-T ... B000FN4A5I
Or you might be able to borrow one if you have a buddy at the transmission shop.
You'll need 6 National 340771 seals, O'Reily lists them for $7.99 each.

WLEIT
G-Staff Sergeant
G-Staff Sergeant

Post by WLEIT » Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:09 am

Once again you've come through, Thanks Chuck. I ordered this right away. Why is it so hard sometimes to get a straight answer or help from MV guys when you talk to them in person? It's like they keep their knowledge a deep secert. Afterall, haven't we all been "newbies" or just plain uninformed about this stuff. I get tired of being stonewalled or looked down on by some old hands at meets just because of my questions. It's a real turnoff and makes a guy just want to keep away from these "stuffy" MV veterans. Thank goodness for this site and Bill Watson!

usmc434
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major

Post by usmc434 » Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:07 am

they can be dug out with a screw driver.. try not to gouge the the inside wall and replace seal with a socket as a driver...i have used both puller and screw driver.with sucess.........remember their are 2 seals on each shifter
Larry in Alabama.
LARRY IN ALABAMA
USMC RVN 68 70 2/11 ARTY.1st. MARDIV.
ALA.NATIONAL GUARD..90 to 05
M151A2
M37
M1009
47 CJ
3 A5 MULES
3 russian army motorcycles 2 with side cars
MILITARY RADIOS AND PARTS
GEN. MEP003 and MEP017

Chuck W.
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Chuck W. » Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:28 am

Why is it so hard sometimes to get a straight answer or help from MV guys when you talk to them
I don't know, but you are absolutely right. I think it's a "I know more than you do" thing. I have always tried to share what little I know, or have learned the hard way, about these mules. I try to explain it as simlpy as I can, and I certainly appreciate it when somebody shares a new procedure, tip, or trick with me. I'm certainly not an expert like Bill or David or Terry or some of the other guys, but I was a professional heavy equipment mechanic for 35 years and after retirement, Rod and I have rebuilt/repaired over 28 of these mules, so I feel I do know a little bit about them. But you would not believe the grief I have caught because of some of my posts here on the G503 about mule repairs.

Don't get turned off by this, remember, it's a hobby and it's suppose to be fun!

LANCE MILLER
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major

Post by LANCE MILLER » Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:06 am

WLEIT wrote:Once again you've come through, Thanks Chuck. I ordered this right away. Why is it so hard sometimes to get a straight answer or help from MV guys when you talk to them in person? It's like they keep their knowledge a deep secert. Afterall, haven't we all been "newbies" or just plain uninformed about this stuff. I get tired of being stonewalled or looked down on by some old hands at meets just because of my questions. It's a real turnoff and makes a guy just want to keep away from these "stuffy" MV veterans. Thank goodness for this site and Bill Watson!
I do not know if you are talking about me or not, but I get tired of telling "newbies" how I do something and then have my methods questioned constantly. I just rather not help these types of people. I aggree that this site is helpful and it is nice that some people have time to be answering questions on line.

Lance Miller

usmc434
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major

Post by usmc434 » Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:09 am

i hope my post cause no hard feeling.... i am just a shade tree mechanic....the skills i learned was from watching and hands on.....with lots of mistakes...i just wanted to help
larry from alabama
LARRY IN ALABAMA
M151A2
M37
M1009
47 CJ
3 A5 MULES
GEN. MEP003 and MEP017

Chuck W.
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Chuck W. » Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:52 pm

Lance & Larry, you guys have always been good to share ideas and tricks on this board, so I don't think anybody's talking about you guys :D If I can say one thing to the newbees, it would be get the manuals and read them, everything you want to know is there. But on the other hand, sometimes a guy gets stuck and needs some help, so we should all be willing to help our fellow mule owners.

WLEIT
G-Staff Sergeant
G-Staff Sergeant

Post by WLEIT » Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:44 am

Well Chuck and Larry, I must indeed have the Mule from Hell. My seal puller could only yank the rubber out of the seal, it is cemented in obviously, and I've about destroyed the entire seal with no success, so far. So, I'm gonna buy a standard hook type puller and force the #$%^&* out. Larry you mentioned two seals but if the outside seal is out, where is the other. I can't find a reference to two seals. Thanks.

Rod
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General

Post by Rod » Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:55 am

Wliet,

There are 2 seal around each shaft. One seal is behind the other seal on each shaft.
I want to live life, til the day I die.

WLEIT
G-Staff Sergeant
G-Staff Sergeant

Post by WLEIT » Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:57 am

Rod (and Chuck and Larry), got it!! I called Schley Products, learned how to properly use the seal puller, pulled the highly damaged outer seal out, crossed my fingers and easily removed the second seal. Thanks, I dug into the -34 and found the reference to the second seal. Now my question is: are they the same type of seal just put in opposite of each other? Thanks.

usmc434
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major

Post by usmc434 » Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:22 am

the rear seal is in the very back of shift cyc.around the shifter shaft .... it s the same as the front seal but turned around back wards and flush with end off cyc..if the puller does not work... a very small screw diver and bend, pry the old thin metal lip around until it become loose...its not that hard after you learn from the first one...tap screw drive gently with a hammer..try not to score the cyc wall ,,to much ...if you can hook it ..do that too.........chuck might know a easier method ....

larry from alabama
LARRY IN ALABAMA
M151A2
M37
M1009
47 CJ
3 A5 MULES
GEN. MEP003 and MEP017

Rod
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General

Post by Rod » Wed Aug 31, 2011 6:57 am

Wilet & Larry,

On the dozens of the seasl I have replace on the shafts of the mule, I always put both seals in the same way....why you ask? Cause the seals only stop the fluid from coming out of the transaxle housing. In reality, 1 seal on each shaft would probably work, but I always use 2 seals per shaft.

NAPA seems to carry the Metal rimmed seals and the places like O'Riellys carry the plastic rimmed seal. I usually get the metal ones. They cost a bit more and give you something to grab onto if the seal puller doesn't work and you need to use something to pick it out. However, the metal seals do not seal any better than the plastic ones.
Last edited by Rod on Wed Feb 18, 2015 7:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
I want to live life, til the day I die.

crankshaft45
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major

Post by crankshaft45 » Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:23 am

If that works for you, fine. The manuel shows the outer seal in backward to keep water from entering the trans. This could happen especially if you use a power washer around the shift shafts.
82nd Airborne 1960-63

WLEIT
G-Staff Sergeant
G-Staff Sergeant

Post by WLEIT » Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:52 am

Read the thread from Aug '10.... if i had seen that earlier, i wouldn't have duplicated the same issue and apparently offended someone. As i stated earlier, both seals are out and have replacements on the way from Bill. I plan on putting them in just like the book says with the flush sides facing each other (that's how they came out). After learning how to use the puller, this is pretty easy and the puller came with an installer, soooooo.... Thanks again everbody.

Return to “MULE M274 Technical”