shift shaft seal puller

M274 Mechanical Mule Knowledge Base
Chuck W.
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General
Re: shift shaft seal puller

Post by Chuck W. » Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:34 pm

Rod, I know what we have seen on these seals, but Wleit and Crankshaft45 are correct, according to TM 9-2320-246-34, "Position first plain encased seal, lip end in, on shift shaft, being careful not to injure lip of seal. Position second seal on shaft, lip end out." The last few seals that I have replaced, I installed the new ones this way. It makes more sense, the inner seal seals the transmission oil in and the outer seal seals out dirt and water

Of all the shift shaft seals I have replaced, only 2 mules had the seals installed as described in the TM.

Rod
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General

Post by Rod » Wed Aug 31, 2011 6:56 pm

Guys,
That's what is great about these forums, it is a place for us to share what works well for each. The way I put seals in works for me. Yours maybe different.

I can not think of a mule I have worked on which had the seals installed the way the TM shows.

Each to their own...
I want to live life, til the day I die.

Chuck W.
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Chuck W. » Thu Sep 01, 2011 6:15 am

I can not think of a mule I have worked on which had the seals installed the way the TM shows
I know, I've only seen 1 or 2 and I thought they had just been installed wrong! I'm looking through my literature to see of there ever was an MSO or something issued about these seals, too many of them are installed "wrong" for it to just be a mistake.
Last edited by Chuck W. on Thu Sep 01, 2011 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jjgray
G-Master Sergeant
G-Master Sergeant

Post by jjgray » Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:10 am

Yes, that's the way I put mine in. On facing in and one facing out. Figured it was to keep out water and dirt as well as oil in.
Working good so far but always interested in how others fare.
One of them YMMV things I guess (Your Mileage May Vary)
Best to all,
John
/john

WLEIT
G-Staff Sergeant
G-Staff Sergeant

Post by WLEIT » Sun Sep 04, 2011 11:15 am

Just finished mine and i did it like the book, one facing out the second in, but that's how they came out too. I was wondering what would happen if you just put one in, if you had no plans in running through a swamp. Oh, well, on to the last item (next Spring): changing the brake shoes and finding out what is causing a nagging drip from the drum when it's in all but one position (which i've marked on the drum and park the Mule with the mark in the 9 0'clock position to keep it from leaking about a teaspoon a day). Now that it's done, i'm getting ready to haul logs to the Central Boiler and can't wait to check out the weight dragging abilities. Crossing my fingers!

Mike_W
G-Master Sergeant
G-Master Sergeant

Post by Mike_W » Sat Jan 21, 2012 8:45 am

Cheapest price I have found on a seal puller... $6.30 at NAPA
http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/Resul ... 1&Dp=3&N=0
Mike White
Hayesville, NC

Rod
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General

Post by Rod » Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:13 am

Mike,

Have you used this puller on the Mule shifter seals? The reason I ask is one of the semi - local Napa stores has it it stock but it is a 32 mile round trip. Wanted to be sure before I made the trip.

Chuck W.
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Chuck W. » Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:57 pm

At that price, grab a couple of them and I'll buy one from you next time I see you, mine is worn out!

m56-mike
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major

Post by m56-mike » Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:08 pm

Guys

One thing to note I did this with a very worn out puller from the Transmission shop (different from a tranny shop) across the street. I could only get the outters removed. So in my infinate wisdom (or lack there of) I just replaced the outter seals thinking, "how bad could it leak",,, AAHHHHHHH Bad, now I get to do it again..

MIke
M56/R2 Crash Rescue Truck 2002 MVPA BEST IN CLASS
1942 (EARLY) WC52 Norwegian Return
1935 Moto-Guzzi PL-250 Military
1955 MKZ MT 750 (Russian with side car)
1998 Harley MT500
2001 M1070 HET
1964 M274 Mule

Rod
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General

Post by Rod » Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:54 pm

Chuck W. wrote:At that price, grab a couple of them and I'll buy one from you next time I see you, mine is worn out!

Chuck, I have 3 sets comming. One set has your name on it.

HoustonMule
G-Sergeant
G-Sergeant

Post by HoustonMule » Sun Aug 23, 2015 8:50 am

Just went through shaft seal replacement on my A5. Had purchased one of the GM seal pullers online SST version. Pulled first outer seal with tool and the tapered threads, which grab the seal, ended up damaged and would not thread into the next seal. Threads are cut very shallow and not hardened. I ordered up the SP 96480 puller. What a difference in the thread design. Much more aggressive. Removed the remaining 5 seals and tool showed no wear or damage to the threads. I did need to get a longer 3/8 center puller bolt as the SP puller is much longer than the SST. Length of supplied bolt was not long enough to contact shifter rod and pull seal. A quick trip to store for new 3.5" bolt. Just have to have a full length threaded bolt. Ended up with a carriage head bolt. Used square shoulder under head for turning with crescent wrench. Works great. Note it may take two tries with puller to remove outer reversed seal. I found the first attempt pulled the rubber lip seal off the steel main body. Got that out of the way, threaded puller into remaining steel body and pulled it out easily. Used a deep socket to reinstall new seals as its' OD much closer to seal OD than the SP supplied installer. Be careful installing reversed outer seal. Since it is backwards you do not have a good flat area to drive it back in (only the seal outer shoulder). Found a small piece of flat steel, drilled hole in center for shifter shaft, placed over shaft, and the tapped in with deep socket.

The new plastic seals are a tad taller in height than the original metal Victor seals. But they went in nicely.

RBW
G-Staff Sergeant
G-Staff Sergeant

Post by RBW » Sun Jan 30, 2022 8:07 pm

Just did the seals on my machine. Used Chicago Rawhide/SKF 4938 seals with metal housing. Purchased this tool from Amazon. Not the best, but reasonably priced:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0153WO9WO?ps ... ct_details

So, the seals don't exactly come right out with this tool. Took a couple of tries to chew the dried/hardened rubber out of the seals until the tool threads were engaging the metal housing. My seals were installed per the manual - the "lip" side of the transmission-side (inner) seal was toward the transmission. The shift yoke side (outer) seal lip was outward. Just to be clear (because it wasn't to me), I am referring to the side of the seal with the larger metal housing diameter and the longer floating rubber projection, where there might be an annular coil spring on a larger seal, as the "lip" side. On an automotive engine, in the case of the timing cover or the rear main seal, this "lip" side would go toward the interior of the engine block. Per the M274 manual, the correct method of installing these shift shaft seals seems a little the opposite, but it makes sense to me now.

Once the outer seal was removed, the inner seal posed a bit more of a challenge. I had to grind the tool a bit to get a sharper edge on the taper. Lastly, I found that the 1-R and 2-3 shift shaft inner seals were a bit stubborn and would not pull before the front lip of the puller had hit the bottom of the seal bore in the transmission housing. Using 0.032 stainless steel aircraft safety wire, I was able to make a sort of heli-coil to pack into the seal housing to give the puller enough material to engage. Basically, I wound about three turns of safety wire around a 1/2" mandrel and packed this into the shift shaft seal housing after stripping out some of the rubber seal. Thin baling wire would work for this as well.

This was worth the effort, as my transmission housing leaks have decreased to almost nothing.

Curtis

Return to “MULE M274 Technical”