Dust Boot Replacement

M274 Mechanical Mule Knowledge Base
WLEIT
G-Staff Sergeant
G-Staff Sergeant

Re: Dust Boot Replacement

Post by WLEIT » Sat Oct 30, 2010 10:49 am

I set the needle bearings as close to the depth of the old ones. Is that correct?.... I have no idea and haven't found any specs on it. On the blind needle bearing, I just tapped it in and kept checking the gear match up as i went. Once the gears were lined up, i quit tapping on the bearing. I figure, i can do just as good and have (in my opinion) done a better job. After all, it's not a field repair, i actually care and the right parts are going in. I have the left side all cleaned, polished, buffed and shiny or STRAC. Once my new race bearing comes in that should conclude the work on the front axle assy. Then, put the engine stuff back on, run new electrical and pray the engine turns over when i hit the key. Come Nov 11, this should be the debute and USMC 324548 will be rockin'. :D

Chuck W.
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Chuck W. » Sun Nov 21, 2010 7:04 am

So, how did it turn out?

WLEIT
G-Staff Sergeant
G-Staff Sergeant

Post by WLEIT » Sun Nov 21, 2010 5:28 pm

Well, Chuck, you know the old saying, "Never assume anything". The front end came out great, every bearing replaced and nothing leaking. So... I remembered that i had filled the rear assembly but hadn't really drained it. I had my hand under the right rear plug as it drained (all happy, anticipating driving in a Vets' Day parade) when Plop, a needle from a needle bearing fell into my hand. Tomorrow (monday) i should have the rear axle housings back from the machine shop and will spend the rest of the week finishing the Mule. Unless, something else pops up. I've decided that, i might as while run my engine over to the shop and have the guys do a professional check of my engine. I've cleaned and replaced the easy stuff but the pro's can tell me if the compression is good, pistons aren't junk, etc. Then i can put it back on and hook everything up.

natem
G-Private
G-Private

Post by natem » Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:33 pm

Thank you, very well done. I will be doing this on a friends mule this spring.
Nate

Clay
G-Civilian

Post by Clay » Wed May 01, 2013 10:09 pm

Thanks, Chuck. Good timing on the dust cover & CV removal.

Dave M38A1
Sergeant Major of the Gee
Sergeant Major of the Gee

Post by Dave M38A1 » Thu May 02, 2013 4:56 am

Welcome,
Some great information here.
Time is your friend. I soaked my Mule in penetrating oil for a week before starting.
Then I cleaned the studs with a small wire brush. I ran them back and forth cleaning the studs off to keep from messing up the threads and spraying
them. Then I had to beat on the old tires with a 2X4 to get the wheels off the hub.
I think the hooks should move, mine need persuasion, had to move one a little to get to the lug nuts.

Will need to do the dust boot replacement, got the parts ordered.

Just take it slow and get ideas from some of the guys here who have done a lot of them.

Dave
Dave M38A1
1953 M38A1
1964 USMC M38A1
M274 A5 Mule (Pepe')
64 CJ5
97 TJ Wrangler (Son's Ride)

Depthcharge
G-Sergeant First Class
G-Sergeant First Class

Post by Depthcharge » Fri May 03, 2013 6:47 am

Experienced loud grinding/squeal noise resinating from one of the rear drop gear housings during time at Tower Park, Camp Delta. Upon further investigation after returning home and removing drain plugs and draining fluid a magnet discovered the correct side with the problem. Metal filings and chunks revealed driver side, rear drop gear assembly had damage. I removed drop gear cover and found the large driven gear and middle idler gear had chipped teeth, thrust washer on idler gear ground to nothing and some minor marring of housing surface. Thanks to this post and long distance help from Chuck W. and John Emery, I was able to disassemble, troubleshoot and start repairs. This is my first time tearing into the wheel assembly and truthfully quite scary for me. It is difficult to troubleshoot over the phone but Chuck was patient and walked me through the areas I had difficulty understanding. I also was tripped up by all the "jury rigging" I found in doing disassembly and repairs. When I purchased the mule it had wide and gripping ATV tires on it and I believe these caused the undue stress on the wheel drive assembly.

I will post more detailed information on my experience and repairs later but I wanted to send my sincere thanks to Chuck and John for getting an "Old Fart" through the technical puzzle of this job.

Steve Sr.
YN1(SS) USS GUARDFISH SSN612

aidave
G-Private
G-Private

Post by aidave » Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:09 am

Great write up Chuck. Does anyone sell a parts kit for this? Or just order individual parts...

Dave

Chuck W.
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Chuck W. » Wed Jul 20, 2016 4:03 pm

Thank you. Just e-mail or call John Emery and tell him what you are working on and he'll fix you up. I've got O-rings, roll pins and brass plugs, but you're going to need boots, so I'd just get it all from him. emerymulesupply@att.net (262)567-5606

Return to “MULE M274 Technical”