Drop Axle Questions

M274 Mechanical Mule Knowledge Base
Speedracer
G-Corporal
G-Corporal

Drop Axle Questions

Post by Speedracer » Sat Oct 02, 2021 4:48 pm

Hello all, needing some help. I'm in the process of replacing the seals and anything else that needs replacing in the drop axles in my M274A5 Mule. After draining the 2 rear drop axles and transmission I doubt I had a half quart of gear oil. When I parked it 2 years ago I found quite a bit of gear oil in the bellhousing. Charles Witt (RIP) explained that the drop axle seals were probably the culprit.

I have concerns about the outer bearing race/cup: the forward end of it sticks out a little past the casting, there appears to be a sort-of half-moon piece/spacer behind the race/cup. Is this normal?

I hope to be enlightened.

Chuck W.
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General
Re: Drop Axle Questions

Post by Chuck W. » Mon Oct 04, 2021 7:19 am

I think what you are seeing is normal, there is a steel insert in the aluminum housing that is machined to hold the bearing cup. The bearing cup usually sits flush or a little above flush. There are shims behind the bearing cup that are used to adjust the bearing clearance in the driven gear, however, the shims are usually behind the cup in the cover. This must be done correctly, see TM 9-2520-246-34, page 5-20
I also notice that the needle bearings are not in far enough, they should be deep enough to clear the oil reliefs in the housing.

Speedracer
G-Corporal
G-Corporal

Post by Speedracer » Mon Oct 04, 2021 12:11 pm

Thanks Chuck! Good to know about the needle bearings, will probably replace them as PM. Thanks for the advice about the bearing race being normal, I didn't know what normal is.

Chuck W.
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Chuck W. » Mon Oct 04, 2021 2:55 pm

Just be careful with those 13830 races, they are made from unobtainium!

This may also help: viewtopic.php?f=79&t=324343

Return to “MULE M274 Technical”