body tub replacements

Create a thread to track the progress of you MB/GPW restoration progress. Previously a General Discussion board.
wmbrown
G-Sergeant
G-Sergeant

body tub replacements

Post by wmbrown » Sat Mar 04, 2023 2:38 pm

I am rebuilding a GPW. The original body is in fair condition but I am not a body worker. I like nuts and bolts. What is the current thinking on body tub replacements? Are they all from the far east? Is there one better than the others?

moodnacreek
G-Master Sergeant
G-Master Sergeant

Re: body tub replacements

Post by moodnacreek » Sat Mar 04, 2023 6:03 pm

I can only comment on the Juan tub, acm 2. While they are not a piece of junk there will be much extra work to make everything fit. Being retired from autobody work I am used to this. My old tub had sections missing and was beyond repair unless you wanted to take years and only save the cowl top. The problem for me was that I had no way to find the missing holes. If you have a complete rusted out body you can find and drill all the holes before you paint. The gas tank and windshield frames can tale much time to fit. Don't take anything for granted and don't be in a hurry.

W. Winget
LTC, U.S. Army
LTC, U.S. Army

Post by W. Winget » Sat Mar 04, 2023 7:07 pm

Save what you can if it's not totally rusted, panels can be pushed and smoothed with a little hammer and dolly effort and heat.
Failing that your alternatives are (to my knowledge)

- MD Juan complete body's and/or replacement panels, considered 'near' but not exact in several areas so you would need to locate and drill, perhaps change some things to make it a factory class vehicle. This is your best bet at an entire body kit that I know of right now, but again it takes extra body work if you are pursuing a factory class level restoration. (Choice of models as well)

- Ron Fitzpatrick (Your host of this site) many panels, primarily as reseller from JMP in England. These panels will be as accurate as you can find and would be considered top notch or factory class once installed without effort other than fitting them correctly. (My understanding)

- JMP, England (or UK) making most panels and not a complete body as the complexities of the large pressings are beyond the scope of their business model, so replacements in Factory class level and resold by many others when available, always adding to their inventory of new parts as well.

- Some Company in India... Not sure what their status is, a few years back they were showing a fully reproduced body which appeared in excellent form from the photos, but I've never seen them come to market yet (Maybe someone will chime in now) unsure about the accuracy of their product as to thickness and fit to original equipment parts as well.

Does this help your decision?
V/R W. Winget
Looking for 1918 Standard B 'Liberty' truck parts

David Hughes
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major

Post by David Hughes » Sun Mar 05, 2023 3:38 am

The company in India is S.G.I. and is distributed in the states by the dealer located on Long Island. Metalshaper does a favorable review of a 3A package.
1942 GPW 19714
1967 M416
1951 M100
MVPA 8836

70th Division
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by 70th Division » Sun Mar 05, 2023 4:06 am

Hello,

I will also add the Midwest Military, in Minnesota, makes several perfect replacement panels, like complete rear floor assemblies that are a perfect fit from the start, they also make partial front floor inserts and many more important parts to do a good restoration on your original body.
Add that to what Ron has available and with a spot welder, and welder, you can rebuild your original body.

If you can, post a picture of your body tub, and we can give you an idea of what plan to follow.

Best Regards,
Ray

jim_lee
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major

Post by jim_lee » Wed Aug 23, 2023 4:37 pm

I have an India is S.G.I. body, still in it's shipping crate. Hopefully in a few weeks we can get it out and try installing it.

Finger's crossed. It'll be on the Trixie thread on this forum.

-jim lee

jim_lee
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major

Post by jim_lee » Sun Sep 24, 2023 9:52 am

Pulled the body out of the crate a couple days ago. (From India)
body1.jpg
body2.jpg

Not measured anything, but it sure looks pretty.

-jim lee

W. Winget
LTC, U.S. Army
LTC, U.S. Army

Post by W. Winget » Sun Sep 24, 2023 10:46 am

Mind telling us what the total cost was?
Looks nice.
V/R W. Winget
Looking for 1918 Standard B 'Liberty' truck parts

jim_lee
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major

Post by jim_lee » Sun Sep 24, 2023 7:43 pm

Pricing's on his website : https://(due to possible litigation this website has been blocked)/BODY%20KIT%20PAGE.htm

I had to pay a bunch more for shipping across the continent. I bought a tub, gas tank, right fender & windshield inner section from him. Oh wait and the metal plate that goes over the bottom of the windshield frame. So far the windshield bottom piece is the only thing we've installed, and it fit like a glove. Really impressive!

-jim lee

Tim Shanteler
G-Second Lieutenant
G-Second Lieutenant

Post by Tim Shanteler » Mon Sep 25, 2023 7:49 am

What a treat having the holes pre-drilled....think of all the time saved from that.
Tim

1945 WC-57 81674456
1944 WC-52 81750129
1945 MB 430629
1943 Ford GPW133609
1943 Ben Hur 0347395 (Gertstenlager)

jim_lee
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major

Post by jim_lee » Tue Sep 26, 2023 3:02 pm

If you'd like to see more & closer shots of the tub, see the Trixie rebuild thread. Right here in this forum!

link : viewtopic.php?f=144&t=335986

-jim lee

Return to “MB GPW Restoration Projects”