MB42/GPW43 Frankenweenie

Create a thread to track the progress of you MB/GPW restoration progress. Previously a General Discussion board.
ww2DAD
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major

Re: MB42/GPW43 Frankenweenie

Post by ww2DAD » Tue Jan 31, 2023 4:57 am

Ray,
Thanks for the encouragement. I will post more this evening. Trying to stay ahead of the power curve. Will also let you know what my research on the vehicle's history turns up. It's been fun so far.
Mike

ww2DAD
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major

Post by ww2DAD » Tue Jan 31, 2023 12:03 pm

So there's a scene in the movie South Pacific which takes place on an island. Ray Walston (My Favorite Martian or Mr. Hand in Fast Times at Ridgemont High) is trading with a local native woman called Bloody Mary. A new Marine 2nd LT comes ashore, and she gives him something for free. Ray gets angry at her and says he never got anything for free. She says "You no sexy like Loo-tell-lant". Your right, "you no sexy like my jeep"
Attachments
3.jpg

ww2DAD
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major

Post by ww2DAD » Tue Jan 31, 2023 1:05 pm

So here are a few shots of the chassis after removing the tub, stripped frame, the bottom of the tub, and pulling the engine. Bottom of tub painted khaki green with OD, yellow, and strato blue overspray. That overspray was also on most of the frame components and axles. Engine was a post war CJ2 engine but accessories were all WW2.
Mike
Attachments
E1.jpg
e2.jpg
e3.jpg
e4.jpg

ww2DAD
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major

Post by ww2DAD » Wed Feb 01, 2023 8:14 am

Frame and axle pictures. First group show frame repairs finshed, gussets added and final painting. Second group is of the axles, front and rear. Last picture bottom right is what was found in the rebuilt rear axle. It was the remains of a bolt lock tab, ring gear bolt, and a spider gear tooth. Funny thing there were no broken teeth on any of the rear axle spider gears or ring gear, so the new gears were installed after replacing the broken gear. These broken parts were not found in the bottom of the pumpkin but forward of the pinion shaft rear bearing when the pinion shaft was removed. There's a cavity for oil to sit in and these were lying in there. I have an additional 20 to 30 pictures of the axle and brake rebuilds and will post them if there is interest.
Mike
Attachments
f1.jpg
frame and horn rebuilds
f3.jpg
axles

17thAirborne
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by 17thAirborne » Wed Feb 01, 2023 8:33 am

It is always great to see more images. It helps us all to see how the sausage is made. ANy F marks are nice to capture also.
Oz

Feb 43 GPW 98532 USA 20206257
Oct 70 Land Rover Series 2a 25334079G NZ16GF36
http://gpw.castraponere.com/ (My Restoration Page)

70th Division
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by 70th Division » Wed Feb 01, 2023 8:54 am

ww2DAD wrote:
Wed Feb 01, 2023 8:14 am
Frame and axle pictures. First group show frame repairs finshed, gussets added and final painting. Second group is of the axles, front and rear. Last picture bottom right is what was found in the rebuilt rear axle. It was the remains of a bolt lock tab, ring gear bolt, and a spider gear tooth. Funny thing there were no broken teeth on any of the rear axle spider gears or ring gear, so the new gears were installed after replacing the broken gear. These broken parts were not found in the bottom of the pumpkin but forward of the pinion shaft rear bearing when the pinion shaft was removed. There's a cavity for oil to sit in and these were lying in there. I have an additional 20 to 30 pictures of the axle and brake rebuilds and will post them if there is interest.
Mike
Hello Mike,

That restored axle with wheels on it looks awesome !!

That shrapnel you found is crazy, it must have backed off, and dropped into the mix.
Pictures are always a good thing here on the G :D :D !

I notice the multi layers of paint, so this jeep was well used in different configurations as a USAF jeep .

Best Regards,
Ray
Last edited by 70th Division on Thu Feb 02, 2023 5:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

ww2DAD
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major

Post by ww2DAD » Wed Feb 01, 2023 3:09 pm

Ray,

You are totally right. The previous owner said (or believed) it went ashore during WW2 in France, but I can't verify that. It does have the khaki green over a red oxide primer. Inside of the wheel hubs were painted chromate green. Then there's OD green over the khaki which must have happened during the rebuild at Allison in 1945. Then there's the yellow over the OD, corresponding with use in Phoenix and then there's the strata blue. I hope to trace some of this history especially between 1945 (rebuild date) and approx. 1999 (owner purchased in T or C).

The shrapnel didn't come out until I pulled the pinion shaft. I don't even think Allison found it. It looks like they replaced the ring gear, closed it up and sent it on its way. The stuff had been glued down in all the muck back in that area. Both axles were completely torn down and rebuilt. I'm glad I did that. Corresponds to OZ's purchase of the jeep from Michigan that was supposedly rebuilt by the Ford dealership. He found quite a few things like this.

Your right that pictures are great, and I have enough of each item/area if anyone needs them. I tried to take as many as I could as I went along with the process. Today was oil pump rebuild. I'd be more than happy to share with anyone.

Thanks for you continued interest. I have been doing engine rebuild data plate research and have found there is no rhyme or reason to size and shape.

Mike

ww2DAD
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major

Post by ww2DAD » Wed Feb 01, 2023 5:30 pm

Wheels. The jeep had one combat rim on the front right side. It had a 1951 dated Goodrich military marked tire. Unfortunately, we had to destroy it in order to get the rim. I should have kept it for posterity, but it's gone. Sorry about that. The rear had two M38 rims with the extra small hole, both painted OD green under a blue and white paint. The pictures show the combat rim as it looked when I started, and the completed rim when finished. The other combat rim is a repro. The two combat rims are going on the front and will eventually be painted strata blue.

The other picture shows the M38s as I found them on the jeep. It also shows what markings I found after sand blasting. One is a Kelsey Hayes and the other a Motor Wheel, both marked 16 x 4.5. There is a 1952 date on Kelsey. I am going to use these on the rear. They are part of the jeep's original history and they also had blue strata paint. Right now they are primed awaiting tires and final paint.
Mike
Attachments
g1.jpg
g2.jpg

17thAirborne
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by 17thAirborne » Wed Feb 01, 2023 6:16 pm

I had not realized those M38 rims were painted strate blue. You are right they are part of the history and were probably added by the USAF in the 50s and then got painted blue. If there was no yellow on them, they were probably added after the follow me truck colors were painted.
Oz

ww2DAD
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major

Post by ww2DAD » Wed Feb 01, 2023 8:06 pm

Oz,
You're right. When I blasted the blue etc. paint off the rims, they were painted OD green. Would have been 1950ish Korean war vintage. Both were on the back. So if that's true we may a little more history up to at least 1952 - the date on the Kelsey Hayes rim. The combat rim had the Goodrich 1951 dated military tire. That gives you 2 dates. Wish I had kept it but we beat it up pretty bad trying to get it off (literally had to saw it off).
Your brother Mike

70th Division
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by 70th Division » Thu Feb 02, 2023 5:31 am

ww2DAD wrote:
Wed Feb 01, 2023 5:30 pm
Wheels. The jeep had one combat rim on the front right side. It had a 1951 dated Goodrich military marked tire. Unfortunately, we had to destroy it in order to get the rim. I should have kept it for posterity, but it's gone. Sorry about that. The rear had two M38 rims with the extra small hole, both painted OD green under a blue and white paint. The pictures show the combat rim as it looked when I started, and the completed rim when finished. The other combat rim is a repro. The two combat rims are going on the front and will eventually be painted strata blue.

The other picture shows the M38s as I found them on the jeep. It also shows what markings I found after sand blasting. One is a Kelsey Hayes and the other a Motor Wheel, both marked 16 x 4.5. There is a 1952 date on Kelsey. I am going to use these on the rear. They are part of the jeep's original history and they also had blue strata paint. Right now they are primed awaiting tires and final paint.
Mike
Hello Mike,

On the repro combat rim, be sure it is an MD Juan rim, or a new JMP rim, as there was a batch from omix ada, several years ago, from China that were made way to thin, and the centers break away when driving !!
Very dangerous, you can tell by looking at them, the bad ones don't have the lug nut holes countersunk, or tapered edges for the nut to seat into and are thinner steel.

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa90 ... oncopy.jpg

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=293333

It is all looking good !

If you can post some pictures of your oil pump rebuild that would be great as I will be doing that,and any tips would be helpful.

Best Regards,
Ray

ww2DAD
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major

Post by ww2DAD » Thu Feb 02, 2023 6:33 am

Ray,

Will do on the oil pump. Tear down was straight forward. Will begin the rebuild today. Will post pictures.

Thanks for pictures of the rim problem. It is and looks like the MD Juan rim. Has the embossed plate, countersunk holes, and prominent tongue and grove. Haven't measured the steel thickness. I bought it last summer from C&C Surplus in Nashville Indiana. He's still advertising MD Juans for sale.

Mike

70th Division
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by 70th Division » Thu Feb 02, 2023 8:38 am

ww2DAD wrote:
Thu Feb 02, 2023 6:33 am
Ray,

Will do on the oil pump. Tear down was straight forward. Will begin the rebuild today. Will post pictures.

Thanks for pictures of the rim problem. It is and looks like the MD Juan rim. Has the embossed plate, countersunk holes, and prominent tongue and grove. Haven't measured the steel thickness. I bought it last summer from C&C Surplus in Nashville Indiana. He's still advertising MD Juans for sale.

Mike
Hello Mike,

That will great to see how you rebuild the oil pump !

Also the MD Juan rims are perfect, no issues at all.
I have a set of them primed and painted with new Firestones mounted my GPW project.
Now I have a set of JMP ones from Ron as well, for the MB project and Goodyear tires for them, both sets are great.
Of course I will need more sets in the future for the next jeep restorations.

Best Regards,
Ray

17thAirborne
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by 17thAirborne » Thu Feb 02, 2023 9:23 am

ww2DAD wrote:
Thu Feb 02, 2023 6:33 am
Ray,

Mike
An NCO now eh?
Oz

ww2DAD
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major

Post by ww2DAD » Thu Feb 02, 2023 10:09 am

Oz,
Yep, moving up in the world. I don't remember this going that fast when I was in the Army.
Mike

Return to “MB GPW Restoration Projects”