Looking to restore an mb/gpw

Create a thread to track the progress of you MB/GPW restoration progress. Previously a General Discussion board.
Darius
G-Private
G-Private

Looking to restore an mb/gpw

Post by Darius » Sat Feb 26, 2022 6:49 pm

Hello,

I am a new member on this forum. I'm a young guy (currently in university) and I've been think for a while about restoring an mb or gpw. I would greatly appreciate any advice anyone here may have for me. I'd be happy to hear about other people's adventures in jeep restoration, things they learned along the way, etc. Jeeps and other MVs have been a passion of mine since I was very young, and I've spent a lot of time learning about them.

Thanks,
Darius.

parker007
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Re: Looking to restore an mb/gpw

Post by parker007 » Sat Feb 26, 2022 7:44 pm

Just be prepared to spend more than one already restored especialy if you farm out the welding etc, also do you enjoy fixing things ? that is a must. when done it is a great accomplishment. I urge you to find the best most complete jeep as possible.

pgcf
G-Lieutenant Colonel
G-Lieutenant Colonel

Post by pgcf » Mon Feb 28, 2022 5:20 am

You're very busy and getting started in life, keep your priorities straight and focus on school and starting your career. Buy the best running jeep you can afford and enjoy it for now.

Your restoration focus right now should be cosmetic and minor mechanical like brakes or a tune up.

Later on you can do the math after assessing your time, talent, and money. The other factor is a place you can work on it. All you really want right now is a garage to park it in when you are not able to drive it.

Welcome and Good Luck,
Peter

Frank USMC
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by Frank USMC » Mon Feb 28, 2022 7:20 am

Also, you might want to put in your location...North America is a big place. With your location posted, you might be just down the road from one of the great members of this forum. They could show what goes into restoring or just working on a jeep. Good luck, and stay in school.
One of the few, Frank USMC RET

Darius
G-Private
G-Private

Post by Darius » Mon Feb 28, 2022 7:28 am

Thanks, these are all great tips for me to keep in mind. I do agree that performing a complete frame-off restoration is probably not the best idea for me at the moment. I would definitely like to find something already running.

twinflyer17
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by twinflyer17 » Tue Mar 08, 2022 6:28 am

Restoring a jeep is easier than it seems, especially completing bodywork. Rarely an MV is in perfect condition. That, along with them being painted OD, gives us all a lot of of leeway when trying to match skills with desires. If you're able to find a jeep project that fits your budget, don't hesitate to learn those skills on your own and on your project. The more you do things, like welding, the better you'll get. You can always go back and fix mediocre work, too. If you're not sure where to begin or what will be required, review all the different restoration threads here on the Gee. There's a huge range of skills, budgets, and overall quality of work displayed here.

To the point on budget, you should mention what your budget is or will be. Still being in college, you could either be a rich kid with no debt, a struggling kid racking up debt every semester, or someone in between - as you know, either of those will dictate what you could potentially end up with or how much you'll be able to put into something. Prices now are much higher than they were 10 years ago, and even then they were WAY higher than the decade prior. I got into my project 10 years ago, a little over a year after finishing college, once I finally had some savings. I didn't have a specific budget in mind, but did have an understanding what the cost would be to complete the project in the long run, and came surprisingly close to that estimate. I gradually chipped away at things for around 3 years until I finished, but always kept "enough" money in the pot to jump on certain original items that rarely come up (i.e. original combats, salvageable tub, etc.). If you really want a jeep, you'll find a way to get one 8)
Sean

GPW 108175 viewtopic.php?t=267732
DOD 4/14/43 Louisville, KY USA20371070

MVPA
AOPA

70th Division
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by 70th Division » Sat Mar 19, 2022 6:59 pm

Darius wrote:
Sat Feb 26, 2022 6:49 pm
Hello,

I am a new member on this forum. I'm a young guy (currently in university) and I've been think for a while about restoring an mb or gpw. I would greatly appreciate any advice anyone here may have for me. I'd be happy to hear about other people's adventures in jeep restoration, things they learned along the way, etc. Jeeps and other MVs have been a passion of mine since I was very young, and I've spent a lot of time learning about them.

Thanks,
Darius.

Hello Darius,

Welcome to the G !!!
I would say ...... Go For It !!!!

Get the best shape unrestored jeep your can find, they are out there !!
The main thing is to have a place to store it, maybe at home in a garage, or build a shed.
That will protect your jeep and all restoration efforts as you go.
More and more key parts are being reproduced now by Joe's Motor Pool, that the restoration job is actually getting much easier !!
Your jeep will also tend to go UP in value, more so than many other things .

Just do the best job you can do, ask any questions here on the G, most love to help out !

We are all in this together, and the more jeeps , the merrier !!!

It is our history, love it and preserve it , it is a great adventure !!!

Best Regards,
Ray

Darius
G-Private
G-Private

Post by Darius » Wed Mar 23, 2022 5:14 pm

Thanks,

I've got a fair bit saved up. I'm looking to spend around 2-4k for the vehicle itself (willing to spend more if its a good deal). I want to save most of my money for parts. I'm from ontario, Canada, and it has proven quite challenging finding good jeeps nearby. While an mb would be nice, I am also considering getting a cj2a as they seem to be a bit more affordable right now.

Darius.

armyairforce
G-Lieutenant Colonel
G-Lieutenant Colonel

Post by armyairforce » Thu Mar 24, 2022 11:03 am

Keep in mind that you need about three times the space than you need for a parked vehicle. Somewhere for the chassis, especially once on its wheels, somewhere to store and or work on the tub, plus storage for all the parts removed, then some workshop space too. They really spread out once in bits!!
Steve Carr - Only dead fish swim with the stream
My Websites

Return to “MB GPW Restoration Projects”