Neal's GPW Restoration

Create a thread to track the progress of you MB/GPW restoration progress. Previously a General Discussion board.
kneelhurst
G-Sergeant
G-Sergeant

Re: Neal's GPW Restoration

Post by kneelhurst » Mon Aug 09, 2021 4:22 pm

Thanks Bazza for the info, once I get some bench space cleared I’ll get into the case a bit more. For 150$ I can’t complain to much haha

Neal

bazza46 wrote:
Mon Aug 09, 2021 3:04 pm
Apart from the broken tooth on the input shaft gear, the box looks O.K. Possibly just needs the rust cleaned off the gears. Of course, the cluster gear might have been damaged by the missing tooth on the input gear nicking it.
The broken off bit near the first/reverse shifter rail won't have any bad effects. There is no strain vertically on those shafts, just sliding back and forth. In fact, it will probably allow a bit more oil to lubricate the shaft.

kneelhurst
G-Sergeant
G-Sergeant

Post by kneelhurst » Tue Aug 10, 2021 5:11 pm

Working on removing the hat channels on the bottom of the tub. Trying to be extremely careful as there is a lot of original material that is in good shape. Started by removing the main hat channel and then the channel that runs by the sump. There has been some previous floor replacement work here that made the sump too small. The hat channel also crossed over the corner so the sump no matter what would not fit.

The hat channel that the toe board sits on is original with its original oak filler. Sadly most of the channel has completely rotted, so I am going to have to replace it. The small oak chunk is an interesting blueish color. This came from within the channel and perhaps is one of the preservative coatings or glue to hold it in place? You can also see the small screw used to keep the wood in place.

More to come!
Neal

Image by kneelhurst, on Flickr

ImageUntitled by kneelhurst, on Flickr

70th Division
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by 70th Division » Sun Aug 22, 2021 8:00 am

Hello Neal,

Making progress !

Several screws are found on the hat channels with metal clips that attach and secure the fuel line from gas tank well, all the way to the fuel filter mounted on the fire wall.
What the screw you pictured I don't know off hand what it is used for.
But I have them on my tub I am working on 😁
Ron should have the fuel line clips and additional screws you will need once you get to that point in the restoration.

Keep 'em Rolling !!

Best Regards,
Ray

kneelhurst
G-Sergeant
G-Sergeant

Post by kneelhurst » Wed Sep 29, 2021 5:54 pm

Its has been awhile, but I cracked open the rear axel to examine the differential. The pair of axels I have are Willys MB and was made an offer I couldn't refuse when buying the tub. When I opened the case, there was very little if any oil in it and was obvious that they had been sitting awhile. I removed the spindles and they seemed to be in great shape!

I then removed the bearing caps. Once removed it was pretty clear they were replaced at some point. I labeled them and set them aside. The differential still moved surprisingly, but was VERY much stuck in the case. As the manual suggested, I used a pry bar to slowly and carefully remove it. After soaking it in PB Blaster for a week, I was finally able to remove it.

Sadly the pinion had huge chunks taken out of it from sheared off screw heads and straps. I found several screw heads in the case. So that will need to be replaced. The carrier or case seemed to be in decent shape, but the gear was welded to it. Most of the bolts were also welded to keep them from backing out. Looks like ill need to replaces all the parts inside the axel at this point. More to come!

W. Winget
LTC, U.S. Army
LTC, U.S. Army

Post by W. Winget » Wed Sep 29, 2021 6:13 pm

Headed to Hagerstown show weekend after next, we could look for a rear end if you wanted. :D
V/R W. Winget
Looking for 1918 Standard B 'Liberty' truck parts

kneelhurst
G-Sergeant
G-Sergeant

Post by kneelhurst » Wed Sep 29, 2021 7:06 pm

Would love it if you find anything....feel free to message me and I can send you my contact if I havent already. Still would love to come out and see your shop
W. Winget wrote:
Wed Sep 29, 2021 6:13 pm
Headed to Hagerstown show weekend after next, we could look for a rear end if you wanted. :D
V/R W. Winget

JAB
G-General
G-General

Post by JAB » Wed Sep 29, 2021 7:15 pm

I thought I saw pretty much any and all of the abuse these things endured, and suffered, over the years, but I've never seen a ring gear welded to the carrier or the bolts either for that matter. Wow....
-Jeff

GR8GPN2U!!!

kneelhurst
G-Sergeant
G-Sergeant

Post by kneelhurst » Thu Sep 30, 2021 1:50 pm

First time for everything hahahaha
JAB wrote:
Wed Sep 29, 2021 7:15 pm
I thought I saw pretty much any and all of the abuse these things endured, and suffered, over the years, but I've never seen a ring gear welded to the carrier or the bolts either for that matter. Wow....

Neal Sims
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major

Post by Neal Sims » Sat Oct 02, 2021 2:10 pm

Glad to see that I am not the only Neal that Restores GPWs. Keep up the good work.
Neal Sims
GPW-24397
GPW-27007
GPW-48005
GPW-102876
GPW-109397

kneelhurst
G-Sergeant
G-Sergeant

Post by kneelhurst » Sun Oct 03, 2021 1:25 pm

Glad you spell it correctly as well! Attempting to restore is more like it for me thought :) I am a tailor by trade haha

Neal Sims wrote:
Sat Oct 02, 2021 2:10 pm
Glad to see that I am not the only Neal that Restores GPWs. Keep up the good work.

kneelhurst
G-Sergeant
G-Sergeant

Post by kneelhurst » Sun Oct 17, 2021 11:38 am

Well had some time this weekend to get back to the Jeep. I have acquired several of the patch parts for the body, but have set that aside for now. I have also been collecting up parts for my rear axels since the pinion and ring gear suffered from some previous user welding ring gear to the case, and multiple broken nuts eaten by the pinion (see previous post). My front axel came with one drum and hub (driver) and I was able to remove that with some ease today. Now to hub/drum assembly for the passenger side....if anyone has one id love to take it off your hands.

Rear axel hubs and drums are way stuck....years of sitting in tidewater Virginia humidity has really not treated them well. So that is going to be a project.

More to come!
Neal

Return to “MB GPW Restoration Projects”