Engine Seat Grinder needed

Create a thread to track the progress of you MB/GPW restoration progress. Previously a General Discussion board.
Dr Deuce
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

Engine Seat Grinder needed

Post by Dr Deuce » Mon May 10, 2021 12:16 pm

Any recommendations except those long lead items from India?

I need to do one exhaust valve seat. It is beyond lapping. Taking the engine out to send to a machine shop is not an option at this time.
Stephen Keith AKA Dr Deuce
www.ww2movievehicles,com

9 CCKWs 6x6

7 Chevys 4x4

W. Winget
LTC, U.S. Army
LTC, U.S. Army

Re: Engine Seat Grinder needed

Post by W. Winget » Mon May 10, 2021 5:05 pm

I just "cut" my valves today (block in vehicle)
The New Way cutter set (Michigan) was around $350 with three cutters, 0.375 and 0.375 (-1) cutter guide, the other reamers I purchased were 0.375 $58 (the best one) and two from McMaster Carr for another $60 (which were short and I didn't use.)
If your guides are good, (I replaced my guides) and seats are intact, the set cuts 60 degree, 35 degree, then 45 degree seats in about an hour of careful twisting (8 seats). Of course you can't let the shavings get into the lifter oil ways, pistons, etc. and this means head/manifold off, valve cover and valve(s) removed :roll:

Now Rotators on the mid 50's engine and the difference between the new Valves sold by most all vendors, and then really crappy Valve keepers are another story...

If you want to borrow it....PM me
The short New Way manual is in the box, no tool has been dropped or mistreated (yet)
V/R W. Winget
Looking for 1918 Standard B 'Liberty' truck parts

Return to “MB GPW Restoration Projects”