'42 GPW - '42 Peep's Motorpool!

Create a thread to track the progress of you MB/GPW restoration progress. Previously a General Discussion board.
'42 Peep's Motorpool
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

Re: '42 GPW - '42 Peep's Motorpool!

Post by '42 Peep's Motorpool » Fri Apr 02, 2021 8:44 am

With that installed, things were good again!

Every little issue like that distracted me from focusing on clearing up the small parts, sorting them, cleaning them, inspecting them, and then either priming them for use or setting aside. Any parts not usable if correct GPW, were set aside to keep as 'reference' pieces. I'd kept my cluster gear even though the teeth were pitted beyond use, and it paid off because I used it to get dimensions to fix my new cluster gear. So I learned the value in keeping parts for reference, even if you aren't able to use them otherwise.

'42 Peep's Motorpool
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

Post by '42 Peep's Motorpool » Fri Apr 02, 2021 9:09 am

One source of trouble was a slight vacuum leak that I began to notice when I would run the engine. I figured it was probably the diffuser gasket under the carb, the grommet the newer ones use doesn't draw up. I took it out and lightly put it in a vice to solve that issue. Things were better, but there was a persistent leak someplace.

I knew the carburetor base was worn out, not long afterward JMP began selling new carburetor bases, so I bought one. Much better! But still an issue. I tracked it down to the intake manifold, specifically where it attached to the engine block.

Remember how it was broken when I got it? Well the shop had it welded, it looked great from the outside. I'd masked it off and painted it after getting it back, I did not think to pay much attention to it. The first issue was that a standard socket had a tough time fitting alongside the repaired area of the manifold. This was because of how it had broken, and how the welder had chosen to fix it.

You can see how the lower it gets to the flange ear, the more tapered it is.
intakeflange.jpg

This caused a problem with tightening the nut, as I'd found that I had to switch to an open-ended wrench to finish it. Or so I thought. The hex nut was actually having trouble clearing the glob of weld. :x

I thought I had it seated and tight. Perhaps because it had run a lot by now, it had loosened up (which makes sense). So I tightened down again and it seemed better. Not perfect. It was a frustrating issue, because it was distracting me from working on everything else. I ended up taking the manifold off entirely. Upon closer inspection I could see the weld appeared to be porous, my guess is that it was sucking air through pinholes. I could be wrong, but I swapped out the intake and it was pretty much not an issue.

'42 Peep's Motorpool
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

Post by '42 Peep's Motorpool » Fri Apr 02, 2021 10:26 am

I noticed the fuel pump (a modern equivalent, not really a reproduction since it lacked the hand priming lever) was barely getting any fuel into the bowl. Keep in mind the system sat while I messed with the engine, and probably dried out. This was actually the second pump I'd installed, the first one was defective but this replacement was fine otherwise.

I checked that the lines were clear, and they were. It would barely let fuel in, and I noticed that the fuel would drain back out. This told me the check valves weren't operating correctly. I pulled the pump off and took it apart. This model of pump used four valves, not two like the originals. In this model the valves seemed to be some form of neoprene construction, it appeared that two of the valves were slightly adhered to the casting, so they were not free to fully open and close. Instead it was operating like a toilet tank flapper valve, one side would lift a little, and close a little, the other side wouldn't move. I poked them with my finger which freed them up. It honestly seemed like something that happened when it sat drying out. I put the pump back together and reinstalled it, worked perfectly! :D

Sometimes the bowl would fill all but about 1/4" from the top. most of the time it was pretty close. I hear a lot of people talking about these pumps, saying theirs barely has any fuel visible at all. The pump has more than enough power with each stroke of the cam lobe, so chances are your lines are either plugged up (or the fitting at the 'in' side of the pump), or the valves aren't opening and closing properly.

pumpf.jpg
pumpf2.jpg

'42 Peep's Motorpool
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

Post by '42 Peep's Motorpool » Fri Apr 02, 2021 12:50 pm

I did pick up this nice pre-war Starett 196 dial indicator set, the lid is off for the photo.
196dial.jpg
You can never have too many dial indicators :lol:

'42 Peep's Motorpool
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

Post by '42 Peep's Motorpool » Fri Apr 02, 2021 12:54 pm

Originally I'd only installed the radiator for the engine test, but after all I went through with the engine, I ended up leaving it in. This presented a problem because it needed a coat of paint. I had some thin paint (you don't want to use a thick paint on radiators) but I didn't want to paint the core just yet (since I planned on taking it out at a future date and giving it a good once over). So I compromised and did some touch-ups on the tanks and shrouds. At least it isn't as ugly as it was. :lol:

I also found that the overflow tube was missing, so I made a new one after looking at a couple of photos on the G503.com forum! This site always comes in handy! :D It may not be perfect, but it looks the part.
painted.jpg

'42 Peep's Motorpool
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

Post by '42 Peep's Motorpool » Fri Apr 02, 2021 1:00 pm

I'd also located one of the elusive J-943 oil seal removers. This is used to remove the inner and outer oil seas on the axles, and can be used on a couple of others IIRC. I was about to make one from scratch when I stumbled onto this one, which was great timing! :lol:

After having read the manuals so often, it was just something I wanted to have. They are often pictured in the sections on rebuilding the axles, an iconic but little known and rarely seen tool Plus the price was fair so I couldn't complain! Naturally being an original, it was 'used' but not abused. The company had great service and friendly people! The box came so fast I couldn't believe it, and just like that I had a piece of G503 history :lol:
remover.jpg

'42 Peep's Motorpool
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

Post by '42 Peep's Motorpool » Fri Apr 02, 2021 1:08 pm

I thought about taking the GPW to a local show, it wasn't done by any means, but I figured I could install the tub temporarily and while it might be ugly, it would be a conversation piece :lol:

It coincided right when I had my carburetor float go out, and before I had located any replacements for sale. So naturally the GPW stayed home.

But I did pick up some stuff from the vendors, including two jacks the guy really didn't want to haul back home :lol: Not jeep related, although the one is a Hein-Werner similar to the ones supplied for GM trucks during WWII. For the price I couldn't leave them behind. :lol:
jack1.jpg
jack2.jpg
I also picked up some old tools from another vendor, so it was a good weekend!

'42 Peep's Motorpool
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

Post by '42 Peep's Motorpool » Fri Apr 02, 2021 1:11 pm

Plus I still had time to make it to the weekend flea market that was also going on, where I found this old WWII USN crate. It originally held two square fuel cans, which were not in it when I found it.

A good thing too, because I already had the cans but not the crate. :lol: For $5 it followed me home.
box.jpg

'42 Peep's Motorpool
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

Post by '42 Peep's Motorpool » Fri Apr 02, 2021 1:22 pm

With winter approaching, I felt I wouldn't be able to work on the tub afterall. Instead I sent in an order to 'reliable Ron Fitzpatrick' to start picking up things I would need to rebuild the rear differential. I ended up using a new yoke when I did the front axle, and I chose to do the same with the rear. I have the original GPW yokes, but the cost of the sleeves can be almost as much as a new yoke by the time shipping is factored in. So I keep the original yokes on a shelf for a future project.

I also picked up a set of the JMP carburetor gauges I mentioned earlier, from Ron F. too! 8) I can't seem to find the photos I had of them, but I will look later. That pretty much closed out 2019. When I think of something else I feel it worth commenting, I'll add it, I'm sure I will remember things after posting this that I forgot to mention. :roll:

Of course 2020 was going to be a busy year because I had lots of plans, we know how that turned out.
Last edited by '42 Peep's Motorpool on Fri Apr 02, 2021 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

'42 Peep's Motorpool
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

Post by '42 Peep's Motorpool » Fri Apr 02, 2021 1:26 pm

I did manage to pick up (see I told you I would remember things later :lol: ) two US/ORD tire pumps in 2019. One was almost like new on the outside for $25 from a friendly man who runs a store specializing in old stuff like that. The hose was stiff of course, and the interior was dry so the cup will have to be replaced if I want to use it.

The other one was in worse shape on the outside, but better shape on the inside. It was a little more, coming from an antique store.

'42 Peep's Motorpool
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

Post by '42 Peep's Motorpool » Fri Apr 02, 2021 1:33 pm

I'll check in later, hopefully I can find the photos of the carburetor tools. :roll: :lol:

'42 Peep's Motorpool
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

Post by '42 Peep's Motorpool » Fri Apr 02, 2021 3:24 pm

I removed the passenger fender to do a little more work, when I was satisfied with it I hit it with some of the barrier III primer from Ron. This is before I did finishing work to it in preparation for some 33070. In this photo I'd moved it down off what I painted it on to get it out of the way. I used a board to support it for painting and left it in place for drying/curing, in case you wonder why it looks like a piece of wood there :lol:
fender22.jpg

'42 Peep's Motorpool
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

Post by '42 Peep's Motorpool » Fri Apr 02, 2021 3:37 pm

I blocked the jeep in place, and jacked the rear frame up, before supporting it with heavy duty stands I have which fit the frame perfectly. Now that the frame was supported and the weight off the rear axle and springs, I could remove the shackles and pivot pins. I ended up rolling the axle outside to take advantage of the light, I've used some bright shop lights but nothing beats direct sunlight. Unfortunately clouds moved in and it started to sprinkle, so I rolled it back in and waited. When it was clear, back out it went. Once outside I removed the 'U' bolts, and took the leaf springs off the rear axle housing. I set the springs aside. The springs are GPW as well, so that is a good thing at least. :lol:

With the springs off, put the axle on another set of stands and then dismounted the rims. Now I could see about cleaning up the interior of the differential housing. It was pretty clean (as it was when I took the carrier and pinion out before). Now I was back to what I was at the beginning of the project, only one axle under the jeep again, so it was immobile until I finished this. :lol: A good incentive to get the job done in a timely manner.
rearaxle.jpg

'42 Peep's Motorpool
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

Post by '42 Peep's Motorpool » Fri Apr 02, 2021 3:59 pm

After removing the drums and backing plates (both to lighten the axle for carrying it in and out, and also so I could more easily clean and repaint the entire axle afterward) I got to work on the pinion and ring gear. I had my last NOS gear set, a GPW one just like the NOS set that went into the front. As I recall the NOS set that went into the front was dated April 12th or 13th, 1945. This set was from 1944 I believe, I don't know what happened to the photo of the marking I took before installing it, I want to say it was June or July of 1944. Originally I'd assumed it too would be an April 1945 NOS set like the first one, but it was actually a little older.

Anyway both the front and rear axles had ring gears with a matched date of May 6th, 1942! Given the jeep was delivered about a week later, I would say they are the originals. Amazing how quickly they got them put together and to the assembly plant, but I guess any holdup in one component would affect the entire vehicle production line, so everything had to work smoothly for one thing to work smoothly. It's pretty amazing to think about it, the day those original gears were completed, Corregidor fell to Japanese troops. We hadn't yet gotten too involved in Europe in May 1942, so I figure some of those workers at Ford might have known someone (be it a friend, son, brother, uncle, neighbor, etc) who was over in the Philippines, and for all I know they hoped the vehicle they were assembling would help those friends/family members out. Something to think about with a date like that, must have been crushing news when it came out over the radio, but likely encouraged the workers to redouble their efforts for victory. We keep the memories of those men and women alive by keeping this vehicles alive to tell their stories.

In fact here is the thread from late 2019 when I took one the carriers apart in preparation for the rear differential rebuild! viewtopic.php?f=4&t=311204&p=1810268

'42 Peep's Motorpool
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

Post by '42 Peep's Motorpool » Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:06 pm

The differential was pretty straightforward. I don't know if I'm lucky, but neither the front or rear was ever a problem for me to rebuild. I just got out the depth micrometer and then once I had a good shim stack, adjusted the pattern. The biggest hold up was the weather! Every time I took it out, clouds would roll in and back into the garage the axle went. A couple of days I called it off because of the incessant rain. All told not counting the rain delays, it probably took two afternoon's worth of time to complete it; part of that because I had to make an adapter for a puller and the time includes standing around, and talking :lol:

So with that done, I took advantage of the brief dry periods to set up an ersatz drying rack for the new U bolts. I took some rubber hose and cut it into short lengths, I then pushed those pieces onto the U bolts to cover the threaded ends. This did two things, it protected the threads from damage, and it kept the paint out of the threads. I was told it looked like windchimes :lol:
partsrack.jpg
Last edited by '42 Peep's Motorpool on Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “MB GPW Restoration Projects”