'42 GPW - '42 Peep's Motorpool!

Create a thread to track the progress of you MB/GPW restoration progress. Previously a General Discussion board.
'42 Peep's Motorpool
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

Re: '42 GPW - '42 Peep's Motorpool!

Post by '42 Peep's Motorpool » Tue Dec 28, 2021 9:09 am

Hi everyone!

I couldn't resist - I made my final order of 2021 to Ron Fitzpatrick Jeep Parts for some last minute things. Yes I could have waited to order until next week, but that would be waiting until next year! :lol:

Now as for 2022, in order to get some enjoyment out of 2020 and 2021, I lept ahead and installed the tub. It is solid, but there are some areas that need metal working to either smooth a little, or a couple of repairs made. I had a terrible time in 2020 finding stores with MIG wire in stock, and when they had it, they would limit you to one roll at a time. :shock: The same thing would happen with grinding disks and cut-off wheels, they would be in-stock when I placed an order, but the order would be canceled hours later because there were none to be had.

So next year (2022) I plan on removing the tub again to finish those areas I couldn't back in 2020. One of the things I have been on the fence about is replacing the hat channels. The hat channels are mostly intact, the only one that was pretty much toast was the one that runs across from the sump to under the passenger seat. That one (which often rusts out, I think from water getting trapped due to the frame bolt holes passing through) had rust damage, but mostly had a section roughly 14" long removed from it by the previous owner (so he could make 'extra' room under the tub). I could make that piece myself I think, or a good enough approximation! :lol: But I will have to wait until the tub is off again to make the full decision of whether to save the rest, or replace all with new. Sometimes when you start cleaning the hat channels, it goes from what you think are a few pin holes to full on sections so bad it's better to start anew than try to patch it - but it always pays to look first and find out!

Once the tub is finished, I can focus on the wiring harness. Late this past spring I'd used some repro wire I had to make enough of a harness for the lighting system (with the exception of the instrument panel lights). It's the proper wire, but of course I haven't made most of the harness because I was not done with the tub (and don't want to be taking a full harness on and off). I suppose I should order the whole kit when I'm done with the tub and just get it all done in one stop, rather than finishing the wiring harness I'd started. As I recall there was one wire that I could not find in stock (a particular color with a specific tracer marking), so do to it right the whole kit may wind up being the better choice.

And from there it's just filling in the missing items I need, chief among them will be the rear and drivers seats, top bows, and windshield. It's getting there at least! :D

Until later my friends! :mrgreen:

A late Merry Christmas and an early HAPPY NEW YEAR in case I'm not back before then!

'42 Peep's Motorpool
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

Post by '42 Peep's Motorpool » Fri Dec 31, 2021 10:56 am

Hi everyone! :D

Well my box of parts got delayed in transit, so it may not be here until next year :lol: Though it was supposed to be here yesterday, so no update on the parts this year I think, unless they surprise me! There is currently no delivery scheduled, and it arrived much later at the distribution facility than they normally put them on trucks for delivery. That said, it does claim that it's on a truck within the past hour, so we'll see if they get it delivered today or not. Fingers crossed! :mrgreen:

I probably won't have anything to report back until tomorrow at least (or whenever the delivery truck does show up), so until then, HAPPY NEW YEAR my friends! :D

Until next time, stay safe and keep'em rolling! 8)

'42 Peep's Motorpool
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

Post by '42 Peep's Motorpool » Sun Jan 02, 2022 1:20 pm

HAPPY NEW YEAR my friends!! :mrgreen:

So, the delivery truck pulled through - it got my parts to me on 12/31! :D

New problem, temps went from the 60s to the 10s (Fahrenheit). It's not the snow I mind, but the temps make it harder to work with small parts. So in a couple of days -I hope!- it might get a little warmer, and I will work on a quick post to update, maybe a video. We'll see. :lol:

Until next time!

70th Division
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by 70th Division » Sun Jan 02, 2022 5:40 pm

Hello Peep ,

Happy New Year 2022 !!!
That graphic is awesome !

It is a good thing you ordered your parts, and got them !!

Many G503 parts are completely out of stock, and no solid time frame for resupply into America !

I just made another big order for parts , and even was able to order some direct from JMP via ebay, such as a canvas strap set, and F marked bumperettes .
Ron is out of them, but the source had a few available in England, still, which I am thankful for !
The shipping was the same as US domestic, or lower, so that is awesome !
When I get my order in from Ron, I will certainly enjoy the great parts I was able to get !
We have to keep moving forward !
Forward Progress all the way !!

Keep 'em Rolling !!

Best Regards,
Ray

'42 Peep's Motorpool
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

Post by '42 Peep's Motorpool » Fri Jan 07, 2022 4:39 pm

Hi Ray!

Thank you! Happy New Year to you too!

:D

Ron has said that all shipping companies/courier services seem to be behind schedule. It's out of his hands since it's something with the delivery companies themselves, maybe the weather slowing down all the trucks across the country?

I sure am looking forward to spring weather again!

'42 Peep's Motorpool
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

Post by '42 Peep's Motorpool » Tue Jan 18, 2022 6:47 pm

Hi everyone! 8)

I did install the new blackout marker lights into the grill, they are awesome! I'm going to take the whole grill back off in the future in order to properly route them (and add the loom). I wanted to do that, but it was just too darn cold. :lol:

Yes the bulbs are pretty bright, the camera auto adjusted for the snow and it makes the bulbs look yellow. I walked in front and it was very intense light. I have no idea who made my headlight bulbs, I'd had those so I just used them last summer when I installed the headlight buckets (Thank you Ron!). I still need to get the rings that go on the headlight buckets, right now the bulbs are held in place with a steel wire harness. This suffices around the yard, but obviously I'm going to need the rings to secure the bulbs before summer so I can hit the pavement without losing my lights :lol:

I couldn't resist a spin in the snow! :D It wasn't as deep as the last snow I took it out in, but can't be picky! It's looking more and more like a G503 again! I need to locate a G503 windshield, and eventually rear and driver's seats (boo to a previous owner that scrapped the originals :x ). The beautiful passenger seat was a gift from Mr. Ron Fitzpatrick, the most awesome jeep guy on the planet! A HUGE shoutout to him, and a heartfelt THANK YOU for that!

Look ma, no chains :lol: I almost threw a set on, but it wasn't deep and it wasn't slick enough to even need 4WD.

I did chase down an annoying issue with the horn. For some reason very late last fall the horn stopped working. I suspected a broken connection or wire, but with winter temps approaching I did not feel like pulling the column tube off then. I'd ordered a set of the JMP cast GPW clutch and brake pedals (awesome pieces, JMP makes great stuff!!). So I decided to swap out my worn pedals (that are later design anyway). Since I was going to be working down by the column tube, I went ahead and pulled the steering wheel, and loosened the column clamp so I could pull the tube up. There was nothing wrong with the wire or soldered connection on the ring! Well long story short (too late! :roll: ) I lost both the #8-32 machine screws that hold the horn contact brush to the column tube! :x So no having the proper screws handy, I ziptied it down to confirm the problem and the horn works again! I've emailed RFJP, so fingers crossed on the screws. 8)

Well that's enough for one post, keep'em rolling and and until next time, see you later!

'42 Peep's Motorpool
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

Post by '42 Peep's Motorpool » Sun Jan 30, 2022 7:55 pm

Hi everyone! :D

Well wouldn't you know, old man winter came back for another round! :roll: I need to get some painting done, but not in these temps! :lol:

Now on to some better news, I have a bunch of side projects I want to complete for the '42 GPW this spring/summer. I'm finalizing some research on those, and the biggest challenge with all these supply chain crunches world-wide, locating the materials. :roll:

I also have some big-ish news, I'm on the hunt for the next project. It probably won't be another G503 (though I plan on another stablemate in the future :!: ), so stay tuned! I'm hoping that as the snow melts in places, the projects will come out of hibernation.

I've been very busy with related research, so bookmark this thread and hopefully sooner than later that content will be ready!

There may also be a 'shakeup' at Peep's Motorpool! :o But more on that later.. I'm hoping it will lead to more time for uploads and content by yours truly! :lol:

Now that all that is out of the way, what have you been doing in 2022 to YOUR G503? We mustn't forget that 2022 is the 80th anniversary of GPW production getting underway fully, just as 2021 was the 80th anniversary of the MB production getting underway. What does that mean to us? It means we need to remember that these wonderful vehicles ARE pieces of history. They 'live' as long as they continue to operate. Sadly we cannot reverse the effects of time, and we are quickly losing the heroes of the Greatest Generation - so please, if you know of a World War II veteran, or a Korean War, or Vietnam War veteran, please take a few moments out of your day to let them know they are appreciated, and have the THANKS of a nation!

Our little peeps or jeeps if you will, are ambassadors of history. I have yet to see a WWII G503 at a car show NOT attract positive attention and comments from the public. There are considerations when displaying a vehicle at a show (such as securing anything that might 'go missing' easily if someone walks away with it), but the positives of displaying at a show much outweigh the negatives. Indeed, how did most of us come to fall in love with the little old G503? Usually, we saw it in person, we had the great opportunity to see these vehicles before they 'retired' from the busy postwar life they served for decades. Later and future generations have not had the luxury of seeing these vehicles (if ever) driving around, instead the first G503 one might see today is in a video game. That is not a completely negative thing, but of course, it isn't real. I've found it easier to relate and understand history, when it is not merely words in a dusty book, but something three-dimensional that we can see and feel. For example a preserved steam locomotive is a grand thing, but if it is merely a static display, it loses context very quickly, as well as the interest of the public. But when you are around a restored, functioning and operating steam locomotive? It's an experience - you see, feel, smell, and quite literally must stand in awe of what is before you. A jeep is often the same; one that is never driven might as well be growing weeds through the tub in some forlorn field.

To preserve history is to do more than sit on it while it gathers dust, you must teach the next generation what you have learned working on these fine warhorses. Pass along the experience you have gained, the insight you have, and the history you know. One of the saddest things is watching people at walk around a reenactment and ask what kind of vehicle they are looking at - while they are pointing at a G503. :(

Remember, keep'em rolling! See you later 8)

'42 Peep's Motorpool
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

Post by '42 Peep's Motorpool » Mon Apr 25, 2022 6:22 pm

Hi everyone! 8)

Well I did it, I ordered more jeep stuff! :lol:

It's kind of funny because I've long ago heard that a jeep is never finished. I knew that was true, but recently I've found that to be more true that ever :lol: I had originally started this project with the goal of a very tight factory level of restoration, but when I discovered evidence of the vehicle's history I decided I couldn't erase that. I'm happy with that!

But over the last several years things came up and I had to change gears and priorities. When I started this project I had a lot of WWII and Korean War vet friends I wanted to give a ride to! 8) Sadly the project took longer than they were around. :cry: Part of that is because I wanted to get things just right.

After a couple of close calls with people close to me, I decided maybe I could get it right later, and instead get it done sooner. I'm glad that I did, but now that I am near the end of the process I find myself able to spend the time correcting the things I didn't have the time to correct before. I enjoy that process, there is always something to do! 8)

Just yesterday I found a sandwich bag I had sorted the original hood latch bolts into when I began the disassembly over 10 years ago! I will clean them up and reinstall them to replace the new bolts I had been using. No a restoration is never done, and for that I am thankful. It would get boring if there wasn't something to do. :lol:

Until next time my friends, keep'em rolling! :D

'42 Peep's Motorpool
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

Post by '42 Peep's Motorpool » Tue May 03, 2022 5:52 pm

Hey everyone! Time to catch up a little :lol:

So I've been hoping that Joes Motor Pool would make a reproduction fuel gauge (hint, hint :lol: ), but I reached a point where I needed a functioning gauge. So for the time being I went with a 6 volt gauge of unknown make or brand.

The gauge itself looked nice, and it appeared pretty well made. So I had crossed my fingers it would work out of the box.

Unfortunately it did not work properly. :roll:

I already knew what the problem likely was based on my testing of the gauge, so I set out to disassemble it to confirm it. The bezel was a lot harder to open than original gauges have been (for me anyway), the crimping was much tighter so it took a little more effort to get a start.

'42 Peep's Motorpool
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

Post by '42 Peep's Motorpool » Tue May 03, 2022 5:56 pm

Since I knew the sender was good (and verified it) I'd recognized the issue I had with the gauge; it was reading full with a nearly empty tank. That of course, could only mean that the ground was bad. Testing the gauge I found that the steel case wasn't acting as a path for the ground as it should be. :!:

'42 Peep's Motorpool
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

Post by '42 Peep's Motorpool » Tue May 03, 2022 5:58 pm

Upon further disassembly it was clear my suspicion was correct - the internal ground wasn't grounded.

'42 Peep's Motorpool
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

Post by '42 Peep's Motorpool » Tue May 03, 2022 6:06 pm

Inside original gauges there is a brass tab that makes contact with the steel case, providing the path for ground. In this case there was a tab, but it wasn't making contact with the steel case. I think the tab was simply a hair too short. It was clearly made for a wire to be soldered to it (hence the hole), so at least that was convenient for my approach to fix this.

Since I did not want to spend further time on this, my solution was to tin and solder a jumper from the tab to the steel case. Surprisingly the fit is pretty tight, there isn't much surplus room in the back of the case. My original plan was to solder a wire inside the case, and then to reassemble it. But I found that no matter how much I tried, the case simply lacked the room for this.

Plan 'B' is never the preferred plan, but it was the other option available, so I went with that. :lol: I drilled a small hole in the steel case as near to center of the tab as possible, and then ran a short length of wire through the hole and to the exterior of the case. Carefully sanding a small area on the back of the case near the hole, I tinned and then soldered the wire.

The big moment came as I tested it - it worked as it should! Success!

'42 Peep's Motorpool
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

Post by '42 Peep's Motorpool » Tue May 03, 2022 6:25 pm

Anyway it will work until Joe's Motor Pool starts making them! :lol:

I also needed a windshield frame, and I couldn't put it off any longer. My first preference is to always go with 'JMP', but again they don't have one..yet..

So I weighed my options and decided to bite the proverbial bullet and go with a MD Juan windshield frame. I wasn't really sure what I would get until it came and I could look at it, but I have to admit that overall I pretty pleased with it!

There are no holes drilled for the capstan studs (to secure the top) or holes for the rubber seal, but that shouldn't be tough to do. The fit was actually way better than I expected, I know in the past there were issues with the older reproduction windshields, but this one is okay to me. :)

And if JMP ever makes these too, I'll probably pick one up and I might work this one over to represent a field modified one. True my '42 wouldn't have had vacuum wipers from the factory, but one of the things I got from the previous owner of the jeep was a set of period Trico wipers, and I don't mind drilling mounting holes into reproduction metal. :lol:

The only thing that 'bothered' me if you can call it that, is that the handle on the inner frame is really rough looking, and that phillips crosshead screws were used to secure the bracket catches for the windshield to hood catch - I would have preferred a slotted set of screws. But overall it was way better than I feared.

I even installed a JMP rubber inner seal, and it fit great! It was pretty easy to install too - the rubber is 'T' shaped, and I insert one edge into the slot in the inner frame and pressed the other edge into place - I think it took me about 20 minutes maybe, it was pretty fast! I would recommend that you start at each corner, and then pick on side to install - working towards the other corner you got into place. I started at one corner at first, but I ended up with a slight bunching of the rubber when I only started at one corner. So out it came and I started again by inserting the two lower corners, and it went fine then! :D

'42 Peep's Motorpool
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

Post by '42 Peep's Motorpool » Tue May 03, 2022 6:40 pm

I talked with Ron Fitzpatrick and had him put me down for a set of JMP combat rims as soon as he gets them! :mrgreen:

I told him I was thinking about buying some tires, and he mentioned that he would - so I did. :lol:

I wanted to try the Deestone NDTs, I've heard a lot about them and I was naturally curious. I ordered a set of 5 and they were promptly delivered.

I already carried the other 3 away when I remembered to stop and take a photo of the last two! :lol:

'42 Peep's Motorpool
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

Post by '42 Peep's Motorpool » Tue May 03, 2022 6:46 pm

I also picked up a nice big order (three boxes!!!) from Ron Fitzpatrick Jeep Parts, always the best! :mrgreen:

But I was so eager to open it all up, I did not get photos (yet)! :lol: The top bows fit like a glove!! And the RFJP GPW rear seat is awesome!! :D I told Ron I was cool with the later GPW seat that has the tire pump brackets on it, because I want to carry a tire pump without it sliding all over the back floor. :lol:

Return to “MB GPW Restoration Projects”