'42 GPW - '42 Peep's Motorpool!

Create a thread to track the progress of you MB/GPW restoration progress. Previously a General Discussion board.
'42 Peep's Motorpool
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

Re: '42 GPW - '42 Peep's Motorpool!

Post by '42 Peep's Motorpool » Thu Apr 15, 2021 5:39 pm

So when the last owner removed the fuel tank (which was too far gone) he didn't have a repro tank available, so he changed the fuel system to work with the new tank he installed. Unfortunately the original strainer went MIA. I was planning on buying the entire fuel system from Ron Fitzpatrick in one go, but he had no strainers.

I was desperate, so I asked if he had anything (as long as I could make it work). Ron was super busy, but made the time to look for what I needed. The man is AWESOME!!! When I made my order I forgot to add on the strainer replaceable filter, doh :oops: When the boxes with my order arrived (55 pounds of parts! :D ), I opened the first box and saw a beautiful 'F' scripted fuel strainer cast top staring at me :mrgreen: Man, Ron knows how to keep customers happy! I was thrilled, and to top that off, Ron was kind enough to throw in the filter I forgot and the fittings I needed! I can't say enough about how great Ron is, or how great his business, Ron Fitzpatrick Jeep Parts is! He came through and saved the day for me! Without Ron's kindness and help, I would have had a fuel system missing the strainer! A HUGE THANK YOU TO RON FITZPATRICK!!! You sir, made not just my day, but my week, month, and since it's getting the GPW closer to being done, year too! :D

Today I started to clean up the cast cover, seemed like a good 'small' project in between last minute work on the sump area of the tub.

Last edited by '42 Peep's Motorpool on Thu Apr 15, 2021 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

'42 Peep's Motorpool
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

Post by '42 Peep's Motorpool » Thu Apr 15, 2021 5:40 pm

Loved seeing that big 'F' script on the top when I opened the box! :D :D

'42 Peep's Motorpool
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

Post by '42 Peep's Motorpool » Thu Apr 15, 2021 5:44 pm

I cleaned it up, gave it a coat of Barrier III Red-Oxide primer (also available from Ron Fitzpatrick Jeep Parts), and then gave it a nice coat of 33070 from Ron too!

A word about the paint, to sum it up, I LOVE it! I use the 'rattle' spray cans for most small parts, you can also buy it by the gallon from him too. The primer is something I'm so happy with, I won't use anything but Barrier III from RFJP anymore, and the same goes for the 33070! Love it, dries fast too. Gives nice finish. :mrgreen:

'42 Peep's Motorpool
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

Post by '42 Peep's Motorpool » Thu Apr 15, 2021 5:46 pm

So all in all, it's been a productive week. Not a lot to show for it yet, but it is getting there for sure! :D

Will check back in later fellas :)

'42 Peep's Motorpool
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

Post by '42 Peep's Motorpool » Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:13 am

I posted a new video to my YouTube page, talking about my new fuel strainer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1IExSY5q0Y

Check it out! 8)

'42 Peep's Motorpool
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

Post by '42 Peep's Motorpool » Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:40 pm

The other night I tacked on the sump pieces I made, but I didn't get a chance to check out the fit with the tank. I used the Ford drawings for guidance, but the scan was really poor. Not wanting to get too far ahead of myself and end up having to redo everything, I asked here on the G503 forum and Yves (YLG80) and Wolfman replied to the post, Yves was able to lend another pair of eyes to the Ford drawing, and I'm happy to report that the piece fit when I installed the tank! :D

I did have two things crop up I wasn't expecting. When I ran the fuel lines up to the strainer (from the tank), I found it stuck out maybe 3/4" into where the air cleaner needs to be. I was out of time when I stumbled on this, so I didn't have time to work on solving that. For the night I just left the air cleaner off.

The other issue, my fuel tank was a top notch Joes Motor Pool small mouth tank (really a great product!). In order to be sure there were no leaks, I put some fuel in the tank and ran the engine for a bit to ensure the lines were full. No leaks! However on first start up after maybe 5 minutes, I heard a noise like the tank had pressure, I then smelled some gas fumes. I think the new cap was just a bit stiff on the venting feature, because I noticed the first time I put it on, it took quite a bit of effort to lock it on, but after the first start up it was much easier. Anyway, I would think the noise was from proper suction (but with the cap a little sluggish at first to vent) sucking the tankwall inward (negative pressure, not expansion but contraction). However the fumes while light, were persistent. I have no leaks, I have checked the lines, fittings, and tank about a dozen times.

Anyone else had that issue? Makes me think the cap vent might be sticky, at first wanting to stay closed, and now wanting to stay open some?

'42 Peep's Motorpool
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

Post by '42 Peep's Motorpool » Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:04 pm

Managed to get the air cleaner in for now, I had to adjust the bends on the fuel line to get it to fit. Oddly it seems like my line might be a hair too long on that last bend, but I don't want to cut it down or re-flare it right now so I will have another look later.

Ended up with freezing rain, so that cut things short in a way that you can't argue with :lol:

'42 Peep's Motorpool
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

Post by '42 Peep's Motorpool » Sat Apr 24, 2021 6:24 pm

Hey everyone! :)

Small update for today:

Things are coming along, still some work on the tub to be done but I think the next major phase will be the electrical system. Kind of looking forward to that one!

Speaking of work on the tub, I used up my small stock of cut-off wheels over the past couple of years working on various projects, I used to buy half a dozen whenever I ran into any of the farm supply stores, or even Harbor Freight. I don't know what most of us would do without HF :lol: Some of the local stores have low stock or are sold out of some things I needed, so I ended up buying some more stuff from HF. Their wire wheel set for drills is cheap, probably the cheapest variety set I've been able to find. The brushes don't last forever, but they can get quite a bit done. Not to neglect non-G503 chores.. :lol: I ended up picking up some things I needed from Harbor Freight anyway, so that worked out well.

No photos today, just didn't have the time. The other day I received a message notifying me that a box was on it's way to me, from a friend that runs a business selling antique WWI and WWII things. I wasn't expecting anything from him, so my first thought was 'they are probably sending me someone else's order by mistake'. I sent off a message explaining that while it was great news to get a box, I wasn't expecting any order. :lol: I think he was thinking along the same line I was - somehow another customer's order must have been shipped to me by mistake. However he quickly replied that he looked into it, and it had a happy ending. It turned out he was sending me some parts that went with a past order, and the parts had been set aside and just recently rediscovered. So that was a nice surprise, not jeep parts, but still a pleasant surprise nonetheless. :D I'll get a photo tomorrow, I would be surprised if anyone can figure out offhand what they are. :lol:

Have a great weekend my friends :D

'42 Peep's Motorpool
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

Post by '42 Peep's Motorpool » Sun Apr 25, 2021 3:08 pm

Hi everyone! :)

As promised, here are the items sent to me by my friend the other day. Let's see who can figure out what they are, if no one can figure it out I will post the answer. :lol: The only clue is that they were around at least from the WWII years probably up into the 1970s! They are not for a G503.

Ed Roberts
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major

Post by Ed Roberts » Tue Apr 27, 2021 11:28 am

I believe they are the brackets used to support metal rail bunks on Navy ships. The bunks would hang on these when in the down (in-use) position.

Best, Eddie
V/r Eddie
1942 GPW #5739 "Sentimental Reasons"
MVPA & MVCC

'42 Peep's Motorpool
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

Post by '42 Peep's Motorpool » Wed Apr 28, 2021 6:56 am

Ed Roberts wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 11:28 am
I believe they are the brackets used to support metal rail bunks on Navy ships. The bunks would hang on these when in the down (in-use) position.

Best, Eddie
Hi Eddie!

That is exactly what they are, that was very good! I wasn't sure anyone was going to be able to tell what they were from the clue. :)

'42 Peep's Motorpool
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

Post by '42 Peep's Motorpool » Wed Apr 28, 2021 4:31 pm

And for fun, this is what the hooks I posted went with. Photo credit goes to my friend Jeff Shrader, who I'm going to give a shout out to :lol: He runs Advance Guard Militaria, a website-based business specializing in historic international militaria from the 1700s to the 1970s. https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/roadshow/appra ... f-shrader/

I think he once sold a Kubelwagen many years ago, and a WWI Imperial German wagon too.

'42 Peep's Motorpool
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

Post by '42 Peep's Motorpool » Tue May 04, 2021 9:40 am

Not much of an update lately, all this rain has kept me from getting a lot done. I did send off another order for parts (can you ever have too many :lol: ), so hopefully those will arrive by next week and we can get back to making more progress again. :mrgreen:

Later this summer I will have to order more of the 33070 and Barrier III from RFJP. I still have some cans of the Barrier III left, but I finally exhausted the last of my 33070 doing some small parts. Love that paint! :D

I make a special effort to regularly check the oil and coolant levels on the GPW. Preventative maintenance! :lol: One thing I will have to dig around in my spares for is another differential cover plug. The one I used had a little corner of the square plug damaged, but it was the only one I had in hand at the time. I know I have another around, but it's eluded me thus far! :lol: I suspect the reason I could not find it, is because it was still in a spare cover I have. The plug that's in there is serviceable, but it makes it harder to use my Blackhawk drain plug tool. So once I locate the spare one I will swap it out. :)

See you later everyone! 8)

'42 Peep's Motorpool
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

Post by '42 Peep's Motorpool » Tue May 25, 2021 2:05 pm

Busy as a bee lately, but made a little progress. I didn't think to get photos of the repair process, but when we got the GPW it had a small crack in the hood hat channel. Someone had welded it a long time ago, but their weld was too small and did not penetrate enough. The result was that it cracked right through their welded repair. So at some point after that, they added a small piece of steel (about an 1/8" thick plate) roughly an inch and a half long to act as a doubler/stiffner to the hat channel. I'd taken that off a long time ago, but hadn't tackled the repair job at the time (other priorities).

So a couple of days ago I set about fixing it. Because the crack was in the hood hat channel, it allowed the hood to flex. In order to hold the pieces tight prior to welding, I used a ratchet strap to pull the hood into alignment. Now with that done, I turned my attention to one of the hood ground strap bolts. When I'd first starting tearing down the GPW for restoration, it had the original ground straps still installed on the hood. Unfortunately one of the straps was torn in the middle, so I went to remove the bolt on the hood that secured it. That bolt came out, but it took out the special nut with it. I'd carefully put the whole thing (the bolt had stayed in the nut, so the washers and strap were still sandwiched with it) away until I needed it. Since I was already working nearby on the hood hat channel, I went and got out the original bolt assembly. I had to put it in a vise, but I got it apart without too much trouble. I was able to weld he nut back in place, and with that I was back in business as they say! :lol:

I plan on taking some photos of the hood and stuff before I do much more to it. I wanted to document the original tinned areas. Interestingly, when I put the bolt and ground strap into the vise to loosen it, I found solder on the bolt thread where it passed through the ground strap. To my eyes, it looked like the bolt was placed in while the solder was still hot, but it could have rubbed onto the threads from when the strap was originally installed. Of course the end of the strap was also tinned, and a square area on the hood hat channel was tinned where the bolt goes in.

That's about all I have to report for today! 8)

I'm getting a lot closer to working on my electrical system, and I look forward to that!! :D

70th Division
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by 70th Division » Mon Jun 14, 2021 5:00 pm

Hello Peep,

You have a great post here ,
Very nice following along !!!

You are making great forward progress !!

Keep up your great works and we all look forward to your updates !!

Best Regards,
Ray

Return to “MB GPW Restoration Projects”