'42 GPW - '42 Peep's Motorpool!

Create a thread to track the progress of you MB/GPW restoration progress. Previously a General Discussion board.
'42 Peep's Motorpool
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

Re: '42 GPW - '42 Peep's Motorpool!

Post by '42 Peep's Motorpool » Fri Jun 25, 2021 11:24 am

70th Division wrote:
Mon Jun 14, 2021 5:00 pm
Hello Peep,

You have a great post here ,
Very nice following along !!!

You are making great forward progress !!

Keep up your great works and we all look forward to your updates !!

Best Regards,
Ray
Hi Ray! Thank you for the kind words, much appreciated! I have had some set backs since my last update, but hope to get going again on some progress soon! :)

Nothing beats working on a G503! I was torn on whether to buy a wiring harness or build my own. A purchased one would be the most factory accurate I believe, and they are excellent quality at a fair price. Last month before I paused work, I started to make my own harness because I wanted to better understand the wiring. I figure the best way to know it inside and out, is to assemble it hands on! :lol: I already made the headlight harnesses, but have some finishing details to work out and add.

Hope to update more here soon! Thank you again for your interest!

'42 Peep's Motorpool
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

Post by '42 Peep's Motorpool » Sat Jul 31, 2021 6:34 pm

Hey everyone! :D

I've been pretty busy with a lot going on, but a found an old video I took at a reenactment back in 2009. It coincided with something I'd been thinking about (WWII vehicle fire extinguishers), and so I thought I'd release the video.

So basically when most of us see a nicely restored G503 (or any nicely restored WWII vehicle), the fire extinguisher is typically going to be an original that may or may not be empty anyway. And let me be clear, you do NOT want to attempt to use an original FE anyway, they are carcinogenic and toxic! A lot of people just have them for looks because it was a piece of the vehicle's equipment, but what if you take your G503 out and about (reenacting or not)? I think it's a good precaution to have a properly rated modern fire extinguisher with you, because you never know when you might need one! Things like this are rare, but serve as a reminder that not everything will go according to plan. In this case the reenactment was 'paused' and instead of 'fighting' each other, Allied & Axis reenactors came together to fight the fire. Hats off to those who extinguished it!

So once I'm done with the '42 project, it will have a modern fire extinguisher just in case, even if you don't need to use it someone else might.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T23SWuPdWQQ

Until next time friends! 8)

'42 Peep's Motorpool
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

Post by '42 Peep's Motorpool » Sun Oct 10, 2021 6:05 pm

Hey everyone! :D

No photos for this update, I've been super busy over the summer and fall. I made some good progress, but had to put the project on the back burner for a bit.

I did however make several small bits of progress, including painting one of the solid disk rims which while technically incorrect, came with it (when sold surplus at the end of the war), so back on it will go! 8) A little piece of it's history. I plan on ordering some new tires and tubes by spring (if not before the end of the year). So getting rims ready to go will save time later. :mrgreen:

6 months later I am still just as pleased with the JMP fuel tank as I was the day I opened it. :D I was thankful in that I did not have to replace my original sump, so I was very pleased with how well the tank fit.

Until next time my friends! :lol:

70th Division
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by 70th Division » Sun Oct 10, 2021 8:25 pm

Hello,

Nice update, and that you are making progress !

Good news, on most 42 GPWs , it has been reported that many of them had a least 1 solid rim on them. Maybe as a spare .

I have 1 that came on my 8-42 GPW, I have another GPW that has 1 as well. Both are unrestored jeeps, with USA numbers on the hoods.
There are several posts from a few years ago discussing this interesting thing about 1 solid rim found on many of the early Ford jeeps.

So , I would keep it , and use it as a spare, or anywhere.
I personally am convinced that they were issued 1 solid rim at the factory.

Best Regards,
Ray

'42 Peep's Motorpool
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

Post by '42 Peep's Motorpool » Mon Oct 11, 2021 4:36 pm

70th Division wrote:
Sun Oct 10, 2021 8:25 pm
Hello,

Nice update, and that you are making progress !

Good news, on most 42 GPWs , it has been reported that many of them had a least 1 solid rim on them. Maybe as a spare .

I have 1 that came on my 8-42 GPW, I have another GPW that has 1 as well. Both are unrestored jeeps, with USA numbers on the hoods.
There are several posts from a few years ago discussing this interesting thing about 1 solid rim found on many of the early Ford jeeps.

So , I would keep it , and use it as a spare, or anywhere.
I personally am convinced that they were issued 1 solid rim at the factory.

Best Regards,
Ray
Hi Ray!

Thanks! I agree, it seems like there are an awful lot of early GPW's with the solid disk. I will definitely keep it with it, I like to keep as much history as I can.

Appreciate the thoughts! 8)

Klaas
G-Captain
G-Captain

Post by Klaas » Tue Oct 12, 2021 2:13 am

Was supplying one solid rim with early GPW's Henry's way of getting rid of surplus GP rims?
I can't imagine that Ford would keep a supply of two different wheels going unless there was stock sitting on the factory floor.
Klaas
GPW17331 - April 21 1942 - Dallas, "J-dot"
BSA Airborne Bicycle R49171 - 1944

'42 Peep's Motorpool
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

Post by '42 Peep's Motorpool » Wed Oct 13, 2021 4:58 pm

Klaas wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 2:13 am
Was supplying one solid rim with early GPW's Henry's way of getting rid of surplus GP rims?
I can't imagine that Ford would keep a supply of two different wheels going unless there was stock sitting on the factory floor.
Hi Klaas!

That's a good question, many might say no, but I think the only sure answer will be if documentation is found from the Ford assembly plants. It seems plausible that Ford having the rims on hand, would try asking the QM Corps for a contract modification that allowed them to substitute the spare rim to use up old stock. If that happened there is probably a document in an archive someplace, but just because we can't rule out such a paper exists or not, doesn't mean it couldn't have happened in my opinion. :)

'42 Peep's Motorpool
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

Post by '42 Peep's Motorpool » Sat Nov 20, 2021 6:37 pm

Hi everyone!

Not a lot of time lately with the fall weather, and now winter weather coming in, but still managed to get some work done. 8)

Ignore the seats as they are clearly 'non-regulation' :lol:

The tub is not finished, but looking good now. The windshield/windscreen frame is just in place because I thought it looked weird without one. It's incorrect since it was for a CJ as evidenced by the 'WILLYS' on the skin (and the 'lollipop' arms for the missing inner). G503 windshields sure are tough to find right now in good condition. :x Since a CJ windshield is considerably taller than the correct G503 windshield, it will not sit on the hood blocks. So an ersatz solution was implemented 'in the field' to solve that for now. :lol:

But there is always something good to be said, and that is a very excellent thing which has arrived yesterday via the brown box truck! Another speedy delivery from RFJP! I will update the thread tomorrow about that.. :)

Until then, stay safe my friends!

70th Division
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by 70th Division » Sun Nov 21, 2021 6:47 am

Hello,

You really are making good progress !!

The body is back on, and looks
nice !
I always like to see updates on your project, as we just have to keep moving along to get it done 😁😁 !
If you don't have any good grill cat eye lights, they are making very high quality F marked reproduction ones now, that are perfect !!
They are also very affordable as well.
I looked at some banged up rusted, dented ones, and said get new ones !
I got 2 new F script cat eyes for my 1943 GPW project I am working on now.
They really are beautiful, and you could add them to your grill .
The base holes for them in the grill get a little tinning with solder.

Keep looking, you will find a windshield !!
You may even locate a F script windshield 😄
For your jeep, it wouldn't have had the factory installed rifle holder brackets on the lower panel.

You can go with the leather M1 scabbard strapped to the windshield and driver's side foot rest !
They are available on ebay, and even reproduction. I like the originals I found, and their dark brown patina.
If I got a repro, I would darken it with leather oil or something.
But they look well made as well, but look around as some are better than others and have a date stamped on them.

When you order tires, try Jegs, as I recently ordered a set, and they had free shipping and a small discount as well.
Summit seems to charge a shipping fee now for the Firestone tires, so Jegs it is !!

I also got a brand new F marked repro rear seat, and they are as good as factory built !!!

Keep us posted, and keep up your good works !!

Best Regards,
Ray

'42 Peep's Motorpool
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

Post by '42 Peep's Motorpool » Sun Dec 05, 2021 3:59 pm

Hi Ray!

Great advice, I appreciate it!

I was a little slow to get this updated, but something happened recently (well not too long ago now) that made my day. An AWESOME man knew I was looking for a passenger seat, so he'd been keeping his eyes open for one. I don't know if he minds being named, so for the time being I won't (want to ask first, I meant to but keep getting sidetracked here) post his name until I get the ok. 8)

Suffice it to say that I'd messaged him about something else, and to my amazement, he said he thought he had found a passenger seat for me! :D Talk about GREAT news! With the timing right around the holiday season, I didn't want to over budget myself, so I asked how much it was. Seats aren't cheap, original or reproduction. I was happy to pay a fair price because I needed that seat badly to replace the old plastic ersatz one I'd installed temporarily. I was just thrilled to have a chance at a seat! :mrgreen:

Then the jaw-dropper happened. He replied back to me, no charge, he wanted to give it to me. :o Words on a screen can't properly convey both the shock, and the deep appreciation and admiration I have for this man. He's helped me a lot over the past few years with things I needed. I wanted to pay the shipping, because it was only fair, so I arranged for some other things I needed, but I wasn't sure how much to set aside for shipping the seat. Shipping is a crazy thing anymore, so I honestly never can figure out the magic behind it, but knowing a seat is bulky, I figured it wasn't too cheap to ship. He told me what I sent covered it, though I honestly believe this man's generosity probably waived part of the cost. I owe him a HUGE THANK YOU!!!! One day I hope to let him know how much I appreciate everything he's ever done! 8)

Now as if all that wasn't a huge surprise already! I hadn't actually seen photos of the seat, and so I was thinking a pretty solid but rusty seat (which is a-ok with me, I had that in mind when I was wanting to buy one and pay for it!). Nope he found the BEST seat I've seen! :mrgreen:

And if it wasn't special enough, he later told me he'd been hanging on to this seat for about 30 years. It was out of the first big parts purchase he'd made. It is a true honor that he passed this along, the seat I needed badly anyway, but the circumstances behind it make it truly special to me. It's more than a seat, it's a reminder of a truly great man I'm proud to call a friend! 8)

This seat is amazing! It's a real time capsule!

'42 Peep's Motorpool
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

Post by '42 Peep's Motorpool » Sun Dec 05, 2021 4:26 pm

I meant to post these before, but two treasured things I keep at hand. The catalog is autographed by THE Ron Fitzpatrick himself, Scott Schiller, and Scott Watson; all three excellent people! When you have a question, they absolutely go above and beyond to get you an answer! This catalog was part of a contest I ended up entering more to support RFJP and TEAM G503, and to my surprise I ended up winning one during a drawing! I have the second edition of this catalog out in the garage, because it's really a great reference! I feel like I should frame this one! :mrgreen:

And this is honestly one of the coolest things ever! When Scott Schiller started the TEAM G503 rebuild on YouTube (please watch and subscribe to his channel, I will share the link below) I started watching! One day the fully rebuilt L134 engine for the TEAM G503 Willys MB was delivered, and Scott posted all the rebuild photos on his Facebook account. It was really amazing to see all the work (and the impressive equipment) that went into the engine rebuild! It's a clean engine too! I don't know how Scott keeps that MB so immaculate, even 3+ years later, but he does! :)

So in the photos he posted, the engine had all the open ports/openings closed up or sealed off. The intake and exhaust ports had plastic plugs to keep debris out, and the fuel pump, water pump and thermostat housing areas had the coolest plates made for that purpose that I've ever see! I asked Scott, and he graciously gave me the plate off the head that sealed off the thermostat housing opening! I've had it hanging up in the garage, but here's a pic from a few years back before I hung it up!

I hope this link works right, but here you can see the very same plate on the head in Scott's photo! Pretty awesome if you ask me, to have an actual link to the TEAM G503 MB!! :D 8) [The link didn't work, so I will upload this as an attachment]
teamg503.jpg

AND PLEASE..don't forget to check out Scott Schiller's YouTube channel, where he posts about the TEAM G503 MB restoration! https://www.youtube.com/c/TeamG503/videos

Until next time friends!! 8)

'42 Peep's Motorpool
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

Post by '42 Peep's Motorpool » Tue Dec 07, 2021 11:58 am

Taking a time out today, to remember and honor those who survived and those who perished at Pearl Harbor, 80 years ago this morning when the Japanese attack struck. This forever changed the world, and altered the lives of millions. A chain reaction that was not stopped until 1945.

To the Pearl Harbor survivors, I salute you! Thank you for your service. For those who never came home, Thank you.

70th Division
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by 70th Division » Tue Dec 07, 2021 2:39 pm

Hello,

I concur, couldn't have been said better.

God Bless them All, and God Bless America !!

Best Regards,
Ray

'42 Peep's Motorpool
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

Post by '42 Peep's Motorpool » Mon Dec 20, 2021 7:51 pm

Hi Ray!

Definitely! My mind is often thinking of those men and women who served, especially when I'm out working on the 'peep'. I always pause in remembrance on days like December 7th, June 6th (and many more), and remember those who paid the ultimate price. Never forget them.

'42 Peep's Motorpool
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

Post by '42 Peep's Motorpool » Mon Dec 20, 2021 7:56 pm

Hey everyone!

I will get some photos in a few days (hopefully!) of the seat. I got the 'all clear' to name the generous man who sent me the seat: Mr. Ron Fitzpatrick (who is a truly amazing person).

Everytime I see the seat, It still seems like it's too good not to be a dream! But so far I'm pinched myself using wrenches and never 'woke up'. :lol:

It's just fantastic, it was like opening the slab to an Egyptian tomb when I opened the box and saw the seat. It still had the seat cushions installed on it, and the part number on the bottom confirmed it was the 'trimmed' seat of the SNL! 8)

I'll update soon! Thanks my friends!

Return to “MB GPW Restoration Projects”