'42 GPW - '42 Peep's Motorpool!

Create a thread to track the progress of you MB/GPW restoration progress. Previously a General Discussion board.
'42 Peep's Motorpool
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

Re: '42 GPW - '42 Peep's Motorpool!

Post by '42 Peep's Motorpool » Sat Apr 03, 2021 5:26 pm

One of the things it does, is compress the rubber grommet in the shock absorber eye, so that you can insert the cotter pin. So there is a slot (seen at the bottom of the first image here) that allows access for that.
spr7.jpg
No one (last I knew anyway) really knew who made these, the logo forged in is unusual.
spr8.jpg
Now while it's a cool piece of history, so far I've yet to actually need it. :oops: The front went on without much of a problem, and there are all sorts of homemade tools people have made to do this job for a lot less than buying the original tool. Plus some of the homemade tools probably work a little better :lol: Still I was happy to have an example, one day I will use it just for the sake of using it.

'42 Peep's Motorpool
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

Post by '42 Peep's Motorpool » Sat Apr 03, 2021 6:19 pm

I've had Duplicolor on my mind :lol: I've been needing to pick up some cans for touch-up and any spares I have on the shelf. Mav1942's post (with an awesome paint job done with Duplicolor was posted) reminded me that I really need to pick up some cans; I ran out a year ago and didn't think I'd ever need more. Now I want a can for touch-ups, and a can for the spares (and eventually for the '42 block once I rebuild that).

If I knew much about the Duplicolor company history, it'd slipped my mind:
"In 1938 Army Lt. Colonel Sigmund E. Edelstone had an innovative idea: selling touch-up paint for cars that matched perfectly to the original OEM finish."
-https://www.duplicolor.com/company/

I guess you can't beat the 1930s Army connection when it comes to paint with pedigree for our Ford built G503's :lol:

'42 Peep's Motorpool
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

Post by '42 Peep's Motorpool » Sat Apr 03, 2021 6:26 pm

That's all for tonight, next week I should be able to get some more progress started 8)

See you all later!

'42 Peep's Motorpool
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

Post by '42 Peep's Motorpool » Mon Apr 05, 2021 6:06 pm

So one of the fun things was finding the firewall pad (the last owner tore part of it off, but :roll: )..

Anyway, over the years I've heard people debating if the pads should have a coat of olive drab on them or if they were installed after painting. As far as I know, they got some overspray later in the assembly process after they'd been installed.
insulator.jpg
It's tough to see in this not very good photo (sorry) but there is a thin coat of olive drab on the pad, you can see where some of it is rubbed off to the left (looks almost like someone kept their foot up against it at times?). Anyway it could fairly be argued that the overspray might have been done during a wartime repaint, fair enough.

insulator2.jpg
But if you look closely, you can see where (thanks to the former owner) the pad is torn, and it reveals a nice area of red oxide type primer, and you can clearly see were the olive drab had been sprayed (a pretty good amount) up near the top of the pad, where the pad was torn is a good line of delineation between primer and olive drab paint. The red oxide type primer was the only primer I found on the tub, which makes sense for a late April produced tub - my transfercase had the yellow zinc chromate primer on it under the olive drab. I would think this was factory overspray on the pad, but I'm not 100% certain, because looking way up into the top of the cowl it appeared (based on my memory, I may have some photos of it) to only have red oxide type primer.

This was an unrestored GPW, the farmers did little more than keep adding coats of paint over the decades. The two owners after them (one had it about a year and did almost nothing) were more interested in how to get it going and had no apparent interest in restoring it. No olive drab paint had been applied since WWII until I started restoration, so that paint on the pad had been there a long time. I'm still thinking maybe I should add an overspray of olive drab when I fit the reproduction pad in the future?

'42 Peep's Motorpool
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

Post by '42 Peep's Motorpool » Mon Apr 05, 2021 6:08 pm

By the way, the reason the paint line and the top of the pad seemingly aren't in alignment in the last pic, is because that end of the pad where it was torn, was curled up. It's more apparent in the first photo. Just thought I'd clarify that :lol:

'42 Peep's Motorpool
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

Post by '42 Peep's Motorpool » Mon Apr 05, 2021 6:24 pm

I've got one of the Joe's Motor Pool reproduction Sparton Horns on the way from Ron Fitzpatrick Jeep Parts, will get some photos once it arrives. They look great from what I've seen, and work great from what I've heard, so I wanted to try one. :lol: One of the horns I have refuses to do anything, I'm thinking a wire is broken or burned out, so I can't wait to see how the reproduction is! 8)

'42 Peep's Motorpool
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

Post by '42 Peep's Motorpool » Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:15 pm

Didn't get much done today, waiting on the parts order to arrive :)

Usually at this time of year I'm looking forward to WWII Weekend, which has been held annually (barring extenuating circumstances) for more years than I can count. The event has it's roots in the early WWII reenacting started in the 1970s. Anyway last year was last year, so there was no event in April. I put together a short video of the event from photos I took in 2018:

https://youtu.be/jTDOdlSiKPE

The 2019 one was a little wet :lol:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNtLVYKZFz0

And if you want to see a little of the actual reenactment, here is an older video I took at a previous event:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5kfYMmMuT0

Enjoy! :D

'42 Peep's Motorpool
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

Post by '42 Peep's Motorpool » Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:36 pm

Between yardwork, other projects, and the weather I didn't get much done on the '42 today, but I did stay busy :lol:

'42 Peep's Motorpool
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

Post by '42 Peep's Motorpool » Sat Apr 10, 2021 6:10 pm

Testing new image attachment..

'42 Peep's Motorpool
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

Post by '42 Peep's Motorpool » Sat Apr 10, 2021 6:13 pm

Good! Came out great :D

I'd already posted that photo a couple of pages back, it was not the way I'd wanted to touch up the radiator tank paint, but things happen and you make the most of it. At least you can see my homemade overflow tube on it (the original was missing, so I fabricated a new one). Rise to the challenge and overcome difficulties, we keep'em rolling :D

'42 Peep's Motorpool
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

Post by '42 Peep's Motorpool » Sat Apr 10, 2021 6:15 pm

I received my order yesterday, what I can only describe as a parts bonanza :lol:

I think it took me over an hour to go through it all, had a lot of fun looking at it. Will get some photos next week, didn't have time. JMP makes some awesome stuff, that's for sure! Always glad to order from Ron Fitzpatrick too!

'42 Peep's Motorpool
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

Post by '42 Peep's Motorpool » Sat Apr 10, 2021 6:53 pm

A handy chart I made showing some of the GPW intake manifolds out there:

And one showing the heat control parts:

'42 Peep's Motorpool
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

Post by '42 Peep's Motorpool » Sat Apr 10, 2021 6:59 pm

Some of the special bi-metal springs used for the heat control valve differ from the original design, so you want to be sure the valve and spring operate as intended.

'42 Peep's Motorpool
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

Post by '42 Peep's Motorpool » Tue Apr 13, 2021 4:46 pm

Busy days lately, but making progress! 8)

Now the last owner had removed the gas tank (don't blame him, from what I know it was swiss cheese thanks to rust). However when he did so, he boogered up the front stone guard and the integral one inboard that has a specific slope to it. So today I pulled out some sheet metal and made new pieces to replace them. I had more trouble getting the old front stone guard off than making the new one :lol:

I'll get pics this week, made on a workbench with only a hammer, tin snips, and a vise. Would have loved to run to my friends sheet metal shop and use their ancient huge brake, but it would have been overkill :lol: Trying to save as much original metal as possible, but sometimes you have to fabricate your own replacements as I want to try to save the original sump. It will be a challenge, but it's doable if I don't get lazy about it :lol: :roll:

Before I weld on the new sloped stone guard, I want to double check the dimensions (the Ford drawing is tough to read, low resolution unfortunately). Would rather be 200% sure before I go to fit the tank and then find out it was a hair too tall. :roll: So if anyone has a sump handy they can measure, feel free to check the height of the sloped part that sticks above the floor on the inboard side of the sump.

'42 Peep's Motorpool
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

Post by '42 Peep's Motorpool » Thu Apr 15, 2021 5:24 pm

Quick photo of some of the fuel tank sump stone guards, the lower two are from RFJP, the upper one was made by me as a replacement for the front one that the last owner cut off. Not pictured was the sloped one I made to replace the one that sits under the tank (the last owner also removed that one).

I need only to trim the bottom of the one I made, and then it will be ready to install! :D I used the Ford drawings to make it, and also referenced the remainder of my original to confirm dimensions (fit like a glove when I held it up for a test fit).

Return to “MB GPW Restoration Projects”